Say hello to your newest fave Italian appetizer or snack for summer: Prosciutto-Wrapped Cantaloupe! Rich, salty prosciutto wrapped around fresh, juicy cantaloupe melon & finished with a little drizzle of sweet & tangy reduced balsamic. Made with just 3 ingredients in 10 minutes or less, this is the EASIEST prosciutto & melon appetizer & it’s perfect for summer parties or a quick & easy nibble on a hot summer night. The only thing missing is an Aperol Spritz!
Pin this Prosciutto-Wrapped Cantaloupe recipe for later!
We’re giving cantaloupe a maaajor glow up today, & it looks a little something like this…
- the juiciest & sweetest cantaloupe spears…
- wrapped in rich, salty Italian prosciutto…
- & drizzled with tangy, syrupy reduced balsamic vinegar
In other words, Prosciutto-Wrapped Melon is here!
Prosciutto-Wrapped Melon – the easiest 3-Ingredient Appetizer!
Among the many dishes & flavors I fell in love with during my time working at an Italian restaurant in downtown Milwaukee is this simple, perfect Prosciutto-Wrapped Cantaloupe. It only popped on our menu a couple of times throughout the year, but our chefs always knowingly featured it on summer nights that were especially warm.
Italian simplicity at its finest.
The combination of prosciutto and melon (specifically prosciutto and cantaloupe) is a pretty classic one, so we’re by no means reinventing the wheel here.
(In fact, this recipe was first published on PWWB way back in 2017! It’s one of our most loved summer appetizers – for good reason! – so we are revisiting it today with improved photography & recipe directions.)
We served prosciutto wrapped cantaloupe periodically at the italian restaurant where I worked straight out of college as a featured antipasti on blistering hot Milwaukee summer days. The first time I saw them I reluctantly tried one, thinking that I’d just pick off the prosciutto & call it a day. But I ended up totally falling for these little cuties.
The mellow flavor of the cantaloupe provides the perfect backdrop for saltiness & mild sweetness of a good, thinly sliced prosciutto. Add to it the rich sweetness of a thick reduced balsamic, & you have a perfectly balanced bite.
& After much serious contemplation of my lack of a love for cantaloupe, I think it comes down to this: as a fruit, cantaloupe just doesn’t do it for me. It’s a little too watery & the flavor is a little to mellow. I would just rather eat a bowl full of boldly flavored summer berries. I feel the same way about watermelon & honeydew, too. Melons just don’t do it for me. (…that’s what she said!)
But if we’re talking cantaloupe paired with savory flavors, that’s a whole different ball game. I loooooooooooove cantaloupe when its subtle sweetness is used to offset other bold, punchy, salty flavors. You saw it once already this summer with in the form of cantaloupe jam crostini, but today I’m sharing with you the dish that started my love affair with savory cantaloupe dishes.
The 3 ingredients you need to make this simple prosciutto and melon appetizer
You could, of course, make your own balsamic glaze if you want. You simply simmer away a good balsamic vinegar, stirring often, until it reduces to the desired thickness. To me, there are few things worse than heating up your house in the summer to only make it stink of balsamic. Plus, the bottled stuff is really affordable. It’s a win-win.
How to make Prosciutto-Wrapped Cantaloupe
The best part of these prosciutto wrapped cantaloupe slices is just how stinkin’ easy they are to make. Slice up some cantaloupe, wrap with prosciutto, & top with a drizzle of your favorite balsamic glaze. That’s it!
How to serve your Prosciutto-Wrapped Melon
Prosciutto wrapped cantaloupe makes the best appetizer for summer. Serve a platter of them on their own, or jazz up your next cheeseboard or antipasto platter with some prosciutto wrapped cantaloupe alongside.
& Honestly, on nights when I don’t need to cook for Chris, I’ll make a plate full for myself & have it as my dinner along with a simple salad of mixed greens.
So simple, so refreshing, so packed full of addictive flavor.
Make these prosciutto-wrapped cantaloupe on the next super hot or super muggy day this summer. I guarantee you’ll fall in love (…yes, even the melon skeptics out there, too)!
If you do give them a try, be sure to let me know!: Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @playswellwithbutter on Instagram. I LOVE hearing about & seeing your PWWB creations! Happy cooking! ♡Print
This Prosciutto-Wrapped Cantaloupe will be your newest fave Italian appetizer or snack for summer – rich, salty prosciutto wrapped around fresh, juicy cantaloupe melon & finished with a little drizzle of sweet & tangy reduced balsamic. The EASIEST prosciutto & melon appetizer, perfect for summer parties or a quick & easy nibble on a hot summer night.
- 1 small cantaloupe, peeled, deseeded & sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 12 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- 1/4 cup balsamic glaze or reduced balsamic (see Recipe Notes)
1. Gently wrap one slice of prosciutto around the middle of each slice of cantaloupe. I’ve had luck tearing the prosciutto in half lengthwise and wrapping each half around 1 slice of cantaloupe to cover more of the cantaloupe’s surface.
2. Drizzle the balsamic glaze over the proscuitto-wrapped cantaloupe slices. You want to be generous with the balsamic, but move quickly so you get thin streaks of balsamic over each piece of cantaloupe (vs larger puddles).
3. Transfer to a serving dish and enjoy!
- *Store-bought balsamic glaze is just fine, but if you’d like to make it from scratch – go for it! Heat 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar over medium heat, stirring frequently, until reduced by half.
Keywords: prosciutto-wrapped cantaloupe melon, appetizer recipe, easy, no-cook, gluten-free, spring, summer, simple, Italian
Recipe by Jess Larson, Plays Well With Butter | Photography by Eat Love Eat
Obsessed with Easy Appetizer Recipes? Here are a few more ideas you’ll love!
- 5-Ingredient Goat Cheese Truffles with Tart Cherries & Walnuts – The ultimate simple-to-make & oh-so-fancy shareable!
- Easy Marinated Olives – Simple yet delicious herb- & lemon-infused olives, made in 10 minutes or less!
- Caprese Salad 2.0 – A stunning heirloom tomato & burrata salad, perfect for summer entertaining!
- Grilled Vegetable Platter with Creamy Goddess Sauce – So much summer goodness, piled high on a gorgeous & vibrant platter.
- All PWWB Snacks & Appetizer Recipes
- All PWWB Easy Entertaining Recipes
Thank you so much for reading & supporting Plays Well With Butter. This post includes affiliate links for products I truly love & use on the reg in my own home. All opinions are always my own! Should you make a purchase using one of these links, PWWB will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you, which helps me continue to bring you great original & free content.