Say hello to your newest fave Italian appetizer or snack for summer: Prosciutto-Wrapped Cantaloupe! Rich, salty prosciutto wrapped around fresh, juicy cantaloupe melon & finished with a little drizzle of sweet & tangy reduced balsamic. Made with just 3 ingredients in 10 minutes or less, this is the EASIEST prosciutto & melon appetizer & it’s perfect for summer parties or a quick & easy nibble on a hot summer night. The only thing missing is an Aperol Spritz!
We’re giving cantaloupe a maaajor glow up today, & it looks a little something like this…
- the juiciest & sweetest cantaloupe spears…
- wrapped in rich, salty Italian prosciutto…
- & drizzled with tangy, syrupy reduced balsamic vinegar
In other words, Prosciutto-Wrapped Melon is here &, MAN, it’s delicious!
Prosciutto-Wrapped Melon – the easiest 3-Ingredient Appetizer!
Among the many dishes & flavors I fell in love with during my time working at an Italian restaurant in downtown Milwaukee is this simple, perfect Prosciutto-Wrapped Cantaloupe. It only popped on our menu a couple of times throughout the year, but our chefs always knowingly featured it on summer nights that were especially warm.
The combination of prosciutto and melon (specifically prosciutto and cantaloupe) is a pretty classic one, so we’re by no means reinventing the wheel here. Sometimes keeping things classic & simple is honestly the way to go though, & this prosciutto wrapped melon recipe is too good not to share.
The mellow flavor of juicy, sweet summer cantaloupe provides the perfect backdrop for the saltiness & mild sweetness of a good, thinly sliced prosciutto. Add to it the rich sweetness of thickly reduced balsamic, & you have the most low-maintenance, perfectly balanced 3-ingredient bite.
Italian simplicity at its finest.
These prosciutto wrapped cantaloupe spears are incredibly simple to make & they’re the perfect little savory-sweet end-of-summer bite. I love whipping them up when I need a quick snack that feels light & satisfying all at once, & they of course also make for an effortlessly elegant antipasti for happy hour or summer entertaining. It’s always a hit.
Simple. Summery. Perfect. We love this prosciutto wrapped melon, & we know you will, too! ♡ Read on to learn more about this prosciutto and melon appetizer, or jump straight to the recipe & get cookin’!
The 3 ingredients you need to make this simple Prosciutto and Melon appetizer.
As the name might suggest, you need just 3 simple ingredients to throw together this prosciutto wrapped cantaloupe…
Note: full ingredients list & measurements provided in the Recipe Card, below.
- Cantaloupe – Because this is such a simple recipe, you really need to use the best cantaloupe you can find. Pick a cantaloupe that feels heavy for its size & has a fragrant, sweet scent. If you can’t find a really, really good cantaloupe, feel free to use honeydew melon instead. Honeydew is typically a little sweeter than cantaloupe, but since it’s paired with such savory flavors in this prosciutto and melon recipe, it’ll work just fine.
- Prosciutto – Prosciutto is uncooked, dry-cured Italian ham. It has rich, salty flavor & melt-in-your-mouth texture – so, so good. The two most well-known types of prosciutto are Prosciutto di Parma (nuttier, saltier flavor) & Prosciutto di San Daniele (slightly sweeter flavor). Because this recipe really plays on the contrast of salty & sweet flavors, I have a slight preference for Prosciutto di Parma here. If you cannot find prosciutto at your grocery store, serrano ham (Spanish jamón) is a great substitute for any prosciutto and melon recipe.
- Balsamic Glaze or reduced balsamic – A drizzle of rich, sweet balsamic glaze takes this prosciutto wrapped cantaloupe totally over the top, bridging the flavors of the prosciutto and melon together perfectly. Pre-made balsamic glaze is pretty widely available these days – you should be able to find it in a squeeze bottle in the oil & vinegar section of most conventional grocery stores. It’s an affordable & easy store-bought solution – win-win! If you can’t find balsamic glaze at the store, you can, of course, make your own – see below.
How to make homemade balsamic reduction:
If you can’t find balsamic glaze at the store, you can, of course, make your own! Simply simmer good, nicely aged balsamic vinegar, stirring often, until it reduces by half or to your desired thickness. (Remember, it will continue to thicken as it cools!)
How to make Prosciutto-Wrapped Cantaloupe
The best part of these prosciutto wrapped cantaloupe slices is just how freakin’ easy they are to make.
Note: full Recipe Directions provided in the Recipe Card, below.
To make prosciutto wrapped melon, simply…
- slice some cantaloupe into 1/2-inch spears,
- wrap the cantaloupe spears with thinly sliced prosciutto,
- & top it all off with a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
That’s it – so easy, right?!
Make-ahead Prosciutto Wrapped Cantaloupe: These cuties are best enjoyed immediately, if you’re working on party prep, you can partially prep them up to 1 day ahead of time. Wrap the cantaloupe with prosciutto, omitting the balsamic until you’re ready to serve them. Store the prosciutto wrapped melon spears an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 day.
How to serve Prosciutto-Wrapped Melon
Prosciutto wrapped cantaloupe is the best appetizer for summer!
Arrange them on a big serving platter on their own, or make a quick cheese board or antipasti platter with nibbles of parmigiano or high-quality asiago, marinated olives, & some marcona almonds.
SO simple. SO impressive. SO delicious.
(& honestly, on hot summer nights when I’m feeling especially lazy, I’ll make a giant platter of these cuties, serve it alongside a simple salad of mixed greens, & call it a meal. Lazy girl dinner for the win!)
Make these prosciutto-wrapped cantaloupe on the next super hot or super muggy day this summer. I guarantee you’ll fall in love!
If you do give them a try, be sure to let me know!: Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @playswellwithbutter on Instagram. I LOVE hearing about & seeing your PWWB creations! Happy cooking! ♡Print
This Prosciutto-Wrapped Cantaloupe will be your newest fave Italian appetizer or snack for summer – rich, salty prosciutto wrapped around fresh, juicy cantaloupe melon & finished with a little drizzle of sweet & tangy reduced balsamic. The EASIEST prosciutto & melon appetizer, perfect for summer parties or a quick & easy nibble on a hot summer night.
- 1 small cantaloupe, peeled, deseeded & sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- 12 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- 1/4 cup balsamic glaze or reduced balsamic (see Recipe Notes)
Gently wrap one slice of prosciutto around the middle of each slice of cantaloupe. I suggest tearing the prosciutto in half lengthwise, wrapping each half around the cantaloupe spear to cover more of the cantaloupe’s surface. Drizzle the balsamic glaze over the prosciutto wrapped cantaloupe. Transfer to a serving dish & enjoy immediately.
- Balsamic glaze is pretty widely available these days – you should be able to find it in a squeeze bottle in the oil & vinegar section of most conventional grocery stores. If you can’t find balsamic glaze at the store, you can, of course, make your own! Simply simmer 1/2 cup of a good, nicely aged balsamic vinegar in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring often, reduced by half or to your desired thickness. (Remember, it will continue to thicken as it cools!) Store homemade reduced balsamic in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks.
- Make-ahead: Prosciutto wrapped cantaloupe is best served immediately, but you can make it up to 1 day ahead of time. Wrap the cantaloupe with prosciutto & store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. Immediately before serving, drizzle balsamic over top.
Keywords: prosciutto-wrapped cantaloupe melon, appetizer recipe, easy, no-cook, gluten-free, spring, summer, simple, Italian
Recipe by Jess Larson, Plays Well With Butter | Photography by Eat Love Eat
Obsessed with Easy Appetizer Recipes? Here are a few more ideas you’ll love!
- 5-Ingredient Goat Cheese Truffles with Tart Cherries & Walnuts – The ultimate simple-to-make & oh-so-fancy shareable!
- Easy Marinated Olives – Simple yet delicious herb- & lemon-infused olives, made in 10 minutes or less!
- Caprese Salad 2.0 – A stunning heirloom tomato & burrata salad, perfect for summer entertaining!
- Grilled Vegetable Platter with Creamy Goddess Sauce – So much summer goodness, piled high on a gorgeous & vibrant platter.
- All PWWB Snacks & Appetizer Recipes
- All PWWB Easy Entertaining Recipes
Thank you so much for reading & supporting Plays Well With Butter. This post includes affiliate links for products I truly love & use on the reg in my own home. All opinions are always my own! Should you make a purchase using one of these links, PWWB will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you, which helps me continue to bring you great original & free content.