This Prosciutto-Wrapped Cantaloupe will be your newest fave Italian appetizer or snack for summer – rich, salty prosciutto wrapped around fresh, juicy cantaloupe melon & finished with a little drizzle of sweet & tangy reduced balsamic. The EASIEST prosciutto & melon appetizer, perfect for summer parties or a quick & easy nibble on a hot summer night.
- 1 small cantaloupe, peeled, deseeded & sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- 12 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- 1/4 cup balsamic glaze or reduced balsamic (see Recipe Notes)
Gently wrap one slice of prosciutto around the middle of each slice of cantaloupe. I suggest tearing the prosciutto in half lengthwise, wrapping each half around the cantaloupe spear to cover more of the cantaloupe’s surface. Drizzle the balsamic glaze over the prosciutto wrapped cantaloupe. Transfer to a serving dish & enjoy immediately.
- Balsamic glaze is pretty widely available these days – you should be able to find it in a squeeze bottle in the oil & vinegar section of most conventional grocery stores. If you can’t find balsamic glaze at the store, you can, of course, make your own! Simply simmer 1/2 cup of a good, nicely aged balsamic vinegar in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring often, reduced by half or to your desired thickness. (Remember, it will continue to thicken as it cools!) Store homemade reduced balsamic in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks.
- Make-ahead: Prosciutto wrapped cantaloupe is best served immediately, but you can make it up to 1 day ahead of time. Wrap the cantaloupe with prosciutto & store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. Immediately before serving, drizzle balsamic over top.