I’ve said it before & I’ll say it again, one of the absolute best ways to add flavor to any meal is with a drizzle of a simple sauce. Sauces & condiments, what I like to call flavor bombs, require minimal effort but always deliver major flavor.
This is especially true when the sauce is packed with fresh herbs, citrus & garlicky goodness & delivers beautiful color & flavor too, which is exactly the case with this easy chimichurri recipe!
PWWB Chimichurri Recipe Highlights
You’ll love this chimichurri sauce because it is…
- QUICK. Seriously quick, in fact. This chimichurri takes 10 minutes to prep with a brief zip in the food processor.
- SIMPLE. You’ll only need 8 ingredients for this easy chimichurri & I guarantee you’ll likely already have most on hand.
- VERSATILE. This sauce is the perfect addition to just about any grilled meat or veggie. Soon you’ll be putting chimichurri on everything!!!
- & IT IS AN INSTANT FLAVOR BOMB! What’s not to love?!
There’s nothing better than fresh Chimichurri. ♡ Read on to learn more about this Easy Chimichurri Sauce recipe, or jump straight to the recipe & get cookin’!
So, what is Chimichurri?
Chimichurri originated in the South American countries of Argentina & Uruguay. You’ll find chimichurri traditionally used as a topping for the delicious grilled beef that these countries are so well known for. Similar to a basil pesto, chimichurri is vibrantly green in color & full of bright herby flavors, however it boasts a signature zippy flavor, thanks to a generous amount of red wine vinegar.
A few years back, I shared this Creamy Avocado Chimichurri recipe, which I playfully refer to as my “Summer Sauce.” While Summer Sauce is still a staple at the PWWB house, you’ll also often find a more classic oil-based chimichurri in my fridge during the summer months. It makes just about everything taste a little bit better, especially during grilling season. I figured it’s about time to share my go-to easy chimichurri recipe here on PWWB too.
Key Ingredients in this Easy Chimichurri Recipe:
This simple, flavor bomb of a sauce is made with equally as simple of ingredients! Here’s what you’ll need to make this easy chimichurri recipe (Note: full ingredients list & measurements provided in the Recipe Card, below):
- Fresh cilantro, parsley, & oregano – Cilantro, parsley, & oregano give this sauce a strong herby taste. Cilantro provides a warm, slightly spicy flavor while parsley & oregano both add clean & peppery notes.
- Lemon – Instantly brightens up this sauce! Just a little bit adds the perfect amount of citrus & a mildly tart taste.
- Garlic – You can never go wrong with garlic!
- Olive oil – This healthy fat balances out the bold ingredients & acts as the vehicle that carries the fresh flavors in this sauce.
- Red wine vinegar – Adds a touch of tang to this otherwise earthy, lemony, and garlicky sauce.
- Crushed red pepper flake – For a bit of heat!
How to Make This Easy Chimichurri Recipe:
Making this chimichurri sauce could not be simpler! It takes about 10 minutes of prep time & no cooking required to whip up a batch & have it ready to go in no time.
Note: Full Recipe Directions with step-by-step photos provided in the Recipe Card, below.
Simply place all of the ingredients into a food processor & give it a quick pulse to combine. Why ⇢ A food processor helps combine the ingredients but still leaves a nice, rustic consistency. You don’t want your chimichurri to be too runny – a quick pulse releases all of the flavors & creates a cohesive sauce without pureeing.
Once combined, enjoy immediately or store for later use. Simple as that!
A Few Notes on Storage:
- Storage ⇢ Simply store chimichurri in an airtight container in your refrigerator & you are good to go!
- How long does it keep? ⇢ When stored properly, you can keep this sauce in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Can I freeze it? ⇢ Yes! I like using silicone storage containers (like these Souper Cubes!), which allow you to divide the sauce into small portions that you can then thaw as necessary! Frozen chimichurri is best used within 3 months.
How to Use Homemade Chimichurri Sauce:
Chimichurri is so versatile & can be used to add flavor & dimension to just about any dish! It’s typically served with the grilled beef widely found in traditional Argentina & Uruguay cuisine. Aside from beef, chimichurri also pairs well with other grilled meats – think grilled chicken, grilled pork chops, topped on burgers, & so much more!
A few of my favorite ways to use this easy Chimichurri sauce:
- Go the classic route & add color & flavor to Cast Iron Steak or this Grilled Steak!
- Top Quick & Easy Grilled Lemon Chicken for a simple twist on this summery dish.
- Add color & zip to your favorite Grilled Pork Chops.
- Use it as a flavorful relish for Grilled Sausage.
- Skip the ketchup & mustard & top your burgers with this chimichurri sauce. Try it on our Best-Ever Grilled Turkey Burgers!
- Or use as a bold dipping sauce for Grilled Vegetable Platter or Grilled Fries!
I can’t wait for you to make your own PWWB Chimichurri Sauce at home! It’s SO simple & SO flavorful! If you do give it a try, be sure to let me know!: Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @playswellwithbutter on Instagram. I LOVE hearing about & seeing your PWWB creations!
Want more quick & easy flavor bombs? Check out this Summer Sauce (a twist on a classic chimichurri with creamy avocado), Chermoula (an easy Moroccan herb sauce), or these Quick AF Quick Pickled Red Onions next! Happy cooking! ♡Print
PWWB Chimichurri Sauce
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 cup 1x
- Category: Sauces & Condiments
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: Argentinian
- Diet: Vegan
A simple chimichurri sauce to add just the right amount of bright & vibrant goodness to any dish. Made with fresh herbs & a handful of pantry ingredients, this easy chimichurri recipe is the perfect topping for grilled beef, grilled chicken, grilled veggies, & more! Naturally dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan, & vegetarian.
- 1/2 cup packed cilantro leaves & tender stems
- 1/2 cup packed parsley leaves & tender stems
- 3 tablespoons packed fresh oregano leaves
- 1 lemon, zested & juiced
- 3–4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flake
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Prep the chimichurri sauce: Place all listed ingredients in a food processor & pulse to combine. Taste and season with additional salt or ground black pepper, as desired.
- Serve: Enjoy your chimichurri immediately, topped on grilled meats, roasted veggies, drizzled over a salad, & so on. Sky’s the limit!
- Storage: This Chimichurri sauce will keep, stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Freezing: To freeze, store in a freezer safe container (these are my favorite!) for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator a day before you’d like to use it.
Keywords: chimichurri sauce recipe, easy chimichurri, no-cook, vegan, dairy-free, vegetarian, healthy, grilling season, summer, spring
Recipe by Jess Larson, Plays Well With Butter | Photography by Eat Love Eat
Follow along with Plays Well With Butter on Instagram, Facebook, & Pinterest for more easy, modern recipes & fun!
Petioning to have this renamed as The BEST EVER chimichurri sauce. It’s beyond delicious and we put it on everything!
Hi Kelsey! Hahah we couldn’t agree more & are so glad you loved it as much as we do – thanks so much for dropping a comment! 🙂
So easy, I don’t have a food processor and the sauce came together in my ninja single serve blender cup just fine. I didn’t quite know if I had enough herbs, but it all worked out. I will note if keeping in the fridge my sauce solidified and needed to come to room temp to be pourable again. Definitely a nice twist on my usual steak night flavor.
Hi Katie! So glad you enjoyed & yes good call-out on the potential of having the olive oil in the chimichurri sauce solidify when stored in the fridge – this can definitely happen with any oil-based sauce but won’t affect the taste! If you like this zippy sauce & are a fan of mushrooms – you should check out this recipe next!
This is delish!! I grilled some chicken and veggies and this was perfect with both. Super quick and easy to make. Definitely a keeper!
Couldn’t agree more, Barbara. I’m so glad you enjoyed it as much as I do. It’s the perfect pair with grilled chicken + veggies!!!