Perfect grilled steak = the perfect Father’s Day Dinner for any special guy in your life! This Tuscan Grilled Steak recipe is easy, made with simple ingredients, affordable (making restaurant-quality steak at home is pretty easy & so much cheaper than a steakhouse dinner!) & it has so much flavor!!! it’s great for both weeknight cooking or special occasions like Father’s Day. you seriously can’t go wrong with this Tuscan Steak Dinner!
This post is sponsored by The Home Depot, who i’m absolutely thrilled to partner with to celebrate Father’s Day this year! All thoughts & opinions are my own.
One of my favorite traditions at our house is celebrating special occasions with a great steak dinner. It’s something Chris & I have done ever since we started dating.
We used to use it as an excuse to get all fancied up & head to an awesome steakhouse, but ever since we got the hang of cooking steaks ourselves we almost always prefer to do steak night at home. It’s so much more affordable than an expensive steakhouse dinner, & it’s just as much fun…& just as delicious, of course.
& this Tuscan grilled steak recipe?? It’s THE recipe to grill for any special occasion this summer!
all of the ingredients are so simple, but the flavor is just unreal. the steak takes on all of the garlicky, herby goodness from the rub & sizzles away on the grill until it’s perfectly charred & juicy. serve ’em up with some crispy grilled potatoes & onions (seasoned with the same tuscan-style herbs), & you have yourself the absolute perfect grilled steak dinner.
…you don’t even have to tell dad how easy it was to make. that can be our secret!
how to make tuscan steak marinade:
the first step to making tuscan grilled steak is making a tuscan steak marinade. i love my tuscan steak marinade because it’s really, really simple. that’s really what italian cooking is all about, anyway: highlighting simple ingredients & making them taste incredible.
to make this tuscan steak marinade, you need:
- olive oil
- lemon zest
- fresh rosemary
- dried oregano
- crushed red pepper flake
- ground black pepper
no need to dirty a separate bowl, just add the ingredients right on to the steaks & give the steaks a good rub to help work the flavor of the marinade into the steak. it takes 5 minutes!
you’ll want to let the marinade do its thing for at least 12 hours. this may seem like a long time, but since steak naturally has very rich flavor it’s important to really give it time to absorb the great flavors of the tuscan-style marinade.
because the marinade is so easy to throw together, i like to make it the night before i want to grill steaks. that way the steaks can marinate overnight with no extra effort/worrying day-of.
Quick tips for perfect grilled steak:
- high-quality beef is a must. look for a steak with great marbling. i love cooking with ny strip for special occasions but chris’ forever fave is ribeye. let dad choose his favorite – as long as there is some marbling!
- let your steaks come to room temp before grilling. this is a critical step to ensure that the steak grills evenly. just pull them out of the fridge 30 minutes before you’re ready to start grilling. it’s an easy step that makes a big impact!
How to grill steak on a charcoal grill:
yup, we’re doing tuscan grilled steak over charcoal…dad is gonna be SO impressed.
i totally get that grilling with charcoal can seem super intimidating, but i promise it’s actually pretty simple: it all comes down to temperature control & airflow. you need a good charcoal grill – one that’s built for optimal airflow.
if you’ve been around pwwb for a while you know that one of the first years chris & i were together i tried to grill him a fancy steak dinner for his birthday. spoiler alert: it ended up being an EPIC fail. our grill wasn’t ventilating properly so the charcoal wasn’t getting any air (which is what helps keep it nice & hot). plus! i didn’t have any sort of thermometer to gauge how hot (or in our case…cold) the grill actually was. thankfully, i’ve learned a lot about grilling since then!
i like to grill this tuscan steak recipe on my Weber 22-inch Original Kettle Grill, which i absolutely swear by when it comes to charcoal grilling.
aside from looking so stinkin’ cute & iconic, the Weber 22-inch Original Kettle Grill has air vents on the bottom of the grill & on the grill lid, which gives you tons of control to get your charcoal as hot or cold as you want it. as an added bonus, it also has a built-in thermometer so there’s no second guessing when it comes to how hot or cold your charcoal is.
i’m super excited to partner with The Home Depot because they have a seriously amazing assortment of grills to fit any tastes, skill levels or budgets. plus! right now they’re offering free delivery for online grill purchases & free assembly for in-store grill purchases. if you’re in the market for a new grill, now is obviously the perfect time to get one for yourself! (or the dad in your life!)
once you’ve got your grill, you just need to…
- light the charcoal (i like using a charcoal chimney & starter cubes which help light charcoal really easily – if you need some help with lighting charcoal, be sure to check out my how to light a grill post, which includes a video that shows step-by-step instructions for lighting charcoal.)
- get the grill to temp (450 degrees F for this steak recipe – couldn’t be easier on the Weber 22-inch Original Kettle Grill since it has a thermometer built right in)
- & toss those steaks on!
How long to grill steak?
the key to perfect grilled steaks? a meat thermometer. it’s really the only way to know how long your steaks should stay on the grill – i swear by it!
the cook time for grilled steak recipes can vary based on the thickness of the steaks & the temperature of the grill. & even though it seems so cool to be able to check for doneness by touch, it’s so not worth overcooking $30 worth of steaks because you were trying to go by how they feel. (obviously speaking from experience here!)
this meat thermometer is a great option! i talk a lot about the different types of thermometers you may want for grilling in my must-have grilling equipment guide, too, so definitely check out that post if you’d like to learn more.
for my tuscan grilled steak recipe, i suggest grilling for about 2-3 minutes per side on a medium grill (about 450 degrees F), until a meat thermometer inserted in the center of the steak reads 140 degrees F for the perfect medium-rare.
we looove a juicy medium-rare steak at our house, but if you can obviously grill your steaks to your desired level of doneness. a general rule of thumb is to add about 1 extra minute of grill time per side for 1 extra level of doneness – e.g. 3-4 minutes per side for medium, 4-5 minutes per side for medium-well, etc. the most accurate way to gauge doneness is still to measure with a meat thermometer.
here is a quick guide to determine the internal temperature you want your perfect grilled steak to reach:
- rare: grill to internal temperature of 120 degrees F, steaks will be red & cool in the center.
- medium-rare: grill to internal temperature of 130 degrees F, steaks will be red & warm in the center.
- medium: grill to internal temperature of 140 degrees F, steaks will be pink & warm in the center.
- medium-well: grill to internal temperature of 145 degrees F, steaks will be only slightly pink in the center.
- well-done: grill to internal temperature of 155+ degrees F, steaks will be cooked through with little or no pink in the center.
be sure to pull the steaks from the grill as soon as they hit your target temperature listed above. the temperature will continue to rise to the perfect final temp as the steak rests.
Best sides for Tuscan steak:
i love to serve my tuscan grilled steak recipe with crispy grilled potatoes & onions! it doesn’t get better, & they’re so simple to make – i tell you exactly how to do it in the Recipe Notes, below.
if you’re looking for other options, any other potatoes, salads, & grilled veggies will also work well. here are a few pwwb favorites to try with your tuscan steak:
- grilled panzanella salad
- grilled fries with fresh herbs & lemon pesto aioli
- easy vegan grilled vegetable platter
i hope you have so much fun planning a special night to celebrate the dad in your life – whether he’s your father, grandfather, husband, brother, or even your puppy daddy.
If you give this Grilled Tuscan Steak Recipe a try, be sure to let me know!: Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @playswellwithbutter on Instagram. I LOVE hearing about & seeing your PWWB creations! Happy cooking! ♡Print
This Tuscan Grilled Steak recipe is the PERFECT grilled steak! A simple (7 ingredients!) herb rub give the tuscan steaks restaurant-quality flavor.
- 2 1-inch thick steaks of choice (ribeye, strip, sirloin, etc.), about 1 1/2 pounds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, zested
- 8 cloves garlic, grated or crushed
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary, broken in half
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flake
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- Marinate the steaks: Add the steaks to an airtight container or baking dish. Top with the olive oil, lemon zest, garlic, fresh rosemary sprigs, dried oregano, crushed red pepper flake, & ground black pepper. (Do not season the steaks with salt at this point!) Rub the herbs & spices into all surfaces of the steaks. Cover and transfer to the refrigerator. Marinate for at least 12 hours or up to 2 days.
- Preheat the grill: Prepare your grill for medium heat, about 450 degrees F. For this recipe, I used my Weber 22-inch Original Kettle Grill from The Home Depot. For a step-by-step guide to light a charcoal grill, be sure to check out this post.
- Prep the steaks for the grill: About 30 minutes prior to grilling the steaks, pull them out of the refrigerator to let them come up to room temperature. I typically will just pull them out of the fridge right before I preheat the grill. Steak will grill more evenly at room temperature vs cold, so it’s important to give it a little time to warm up! Just before tossing them on the grill, use paper towel to pat the steak as dry as you possibly can, then season generously with Kosher salt.
- Grill the steaks: Place the steak over direct medium heat. Grill 2-3 minutes per side for a nice medium rare, until a meat thermometer inserted in the center of the steak reads 140 degrees F. (Add about 1 extra minute of grill time per side for 1 extra level of doneness – e.g. 3-4 minutes per side for medium, 4-5 minutes per side for medium-well, etc.)
- Rest and serve: Set the steak aside to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
- For crispy grilled tuscan potatoes & onions: Add 1/2 pound halved baby potatoes to a mixing bowl. Drizzle with 2-3 tablespoons olive oil and season generously with a sprinkling of salt, ground black pepper, garlic powder, dried oregano, & crushed red pepper flakes. Toss to combine. Grill over medium heat in a grill basket for 20-25 minutes, tossing occasionally until the potatoes are tender. About halfway through, toss 1 sliced red onion in the same bowl you used to toss the potatoes. Add the onion to the grill basket to finish cooking with the potatoes.
Keywords: tuscan steak, perfect grilled steak, tuscan grilled steak recipe, easy, Father’s Day, grilling & smoking, American, Italian, low-carb, gluten-free
Obsessed with all things grilled? Us too! Here are PWWB’s Top Grilling Recipes that you HAVE to try next!
- PWWB Go-To Grilling Marinades – 13 go-to recipes you’ll turn to time & time again, all summer long!
- Easy Grilled Veggies – How to grill pretty much any vegetable. Vegan-friendly!
- The Very BEST Grilled BBQ Chicken – A summertime classic perfected, thanks to a few simple steps that yield the juiciest, most flavorful BBQ chicken ever.
- Absolutely PERFECT Grilled Buffalo Wings – Crispy buffalo perfection. Made with just 3 simple ingredients, grilled chicken wings could not be easier!
- Grilled Black Bean Burgers – Burgers aren’t just for meat-lovers! These grilled veggie burgers are hearty, textural & grill up like a dream!
- Best-Ever Grilled Turkey Burgers – Kiss everything you think you know about turkey burgers goodbye. The juiciest, most flavorful grilled turkey burgers you’ll ever eat!
- PWWB House Burgers – The easy French Onion Burgers that we’re obsessed with at the PWWB House!
- Grilled Wisconsin Beer Brats –The easiest Wisconsin-style beer brats, yielding perfectly juicy & crisp brats every time!
- Grilled Sausage – How to grill sausage perfectly, every single time! This simple method can translate into dozens of delicious & easy summer dinners – no flare ups here!
- Grilled Tuscan Steak – Perfectly juicy grilled steak, seasoned with Tuscan-style aromatics. The ultimate grilled steak dinner!
- All PWWB Grilling Recipes
Ready to Hit the Grill?
If this all still feels new to you, I encourage you to head over to this Grilling 101 post, where we dive into all the grilling basics – everything from how to light your grill to how to clean your grill.
All this talk about grilling have you feelin’ ready to hit the grill? Me too! Be sure to check out this post for my 13 go-to marinades you need this grilling season. At our house, a good marinade is at the heart of grilling season. I’m positive these marinades will be on repeat at your house this summer! For even more grilled goodness, be sure to check out all of our Grilling & Smoking recipes.
Ready to learn more grilling tips & recipes?
Ready to learn more? Subscribe to receive PWWB Let’s Grill, Girls! updates sent straight to your inbox. We send good emails! All season long, we’re sharing exclusive grilling tips, tricks, & sneak peeks to our email friends. Plus, we’ll send all of our new grilling recipes straight to your inbox – you can save them in an easy & convenient spot for referencing all summer long. Subscribe below!
Thank you so much for reading & supporting Plays Well With Butter & the companies I partner with to keep bringing you great original content. I only feature brands & products I truly love & use on the reg in my own home. All opinions are always my own!