Hellooo, Harvest Sheet Pan Chicken Sausage Dinner! Chicken apple sausage, butternut squash, & Brussels sprouts are tossed in a quick maple-herb dressing, then roast with pancetta & pine nuts to crispy, caramelly perfection. This hearty chicken sausage sheet pan is filled with the bold, rich flavors of fall. Better yet, it’s so simple to throw together – less than 15 minutes of active work, & it’s totally meal prep, make-ahead, & weeknight-friendly! Sheet pan chicken sausage and veggies for the win!
I’ve said it before & I know I’ll say it again, but you can never have too many back-pocket dinner recipes or ideas.
What’s a back-pocket dinner? It’s the term I use to describe kind of reliable, go-to meal that uses simple ingredients you likely have on hand, takes no time at all to prep, & is always super satisfying. A couple of my all-time favorites are this Chicken Sausage Quinoa Skillet & these Chorizo Tacos. We’re throwing a new recipe into our back-pocket dinner arsenal today with this Harvest Sheet Pan Chicken Sausage and Vegetables recipe.
I’m telling you, this sheet pan dinner is one of my biggest fall obsessions. I first threw it together about a year ago on a total whim. Majorly inspired by these Maple Mustard Roasted Brussels Sprouts, an all-time PWWB fave, I added some of my favorite chicken sausage & some butternut squash to the mix to make an easy, hearty fall meal.
The result? So, so good.
The chicken sausage, butternut squash & Brussels sprouts get totally roasty, crispy, & browned. To take things to the next level, we add a little bit of pancetta (aka Italian bacon, aka heaven!), which renders & infuses its rich flavor into the chicken sausage & veggies. We finish it off with pine nuts for their creamy-crunchy texture, plus a little parmesan & balsamic glaze to bring it all together.
I can’t emphasize it enough – this chicken apple sausage sheet pan dinner is absolutely heavenly & it truly couldn’t be easier to make.
Autumn sheet pan magic! ♡ Read on to learn more about this Harvest Sheet Pan Chicken Sausage and Vegetables recipe, or jump straight to the recipe & get cookin’!
This easy sheet pan dinner leans on simple, fall-inspired ingredients.
One of my favorite things about this sheet pan chicken sausage and veggies meal is the ingredients list is super simple, super fall-inspired & super flexible!
Note: full ingredients list & measurements provided in the Recipe Card, below.
You will need…
- Chicken sausage – Use any fully-cooked chicken sausage you love. My personal favorite for this recipe is Amylu Apple & Gouda Chicken Sausage, which is made with high-quality real food ingredients & is seriously tasty! The Apple & Gouda make for a perfect pairing with the fall-inspired flavors in this chicken sausage sheet pan.
- Fall veggies – I love using Brussels sprouts & butternut squash for this chicken sausage sheet pan dinner since they are quintessentially fall & roast beautifully. You could easily use other veggies you love or have on hand. Any other squash, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, or even carrots would work well.
- Pancetta, which is cured Italian pork belly, similar to unsmoked bacon. Feel free to swap it out with regular ol’ bacon if that’s what you can find easily – thick, center-cut bacon will work best for this recipe.
- A couple of pantry staples, like pure maple syrup for a touch of sweetness, fresh hardy herbs for extra flavor, & a little bit of olive oil to bring it all together.
- & lastly, pine nuts, which add a little bit of texture to this chicken sausage sheet pan dinner. If you do not have pine nuts, feel free to swap them out with chopped walnuts or pecans.
Recipe FAQ: What’s the best chicken sausage to use for this sheet pan chicken sausage and veggies recipe?
Use whatever chicken sausage you love most! As I mentioned, these are my personal favorite. Another note – as written, this recipe calls for fully-cooked chicken sausage. You can absolutely substitute your favorite fresh (raw) chicken sausage – be sure to check out the Recipe Notes, below, for some guidance.
How to make this Harvest Sheet Pan Chicken Sausage and Vegetables recipe.
The best part of this recipe is how seriously freakin’ easy it is to throw together. It’s a one-pan operation, & aside from chopping the veggies & getting them on the sheet pan, the oven does all the work. It truly could not be simpler.
Note: full Recipe Directions provided in the Recipe Card, below.
To make your Harvest Veggies & Chicken Sausage Sheet Pan, simply…
- Prep the sheet pan: Place veggies on a sheet pan (or two, to avoid overcrowding) & season with a little olive oil, pure maple syrup, chopped fresh hardy herbs, & some S&P. Toss it all together to coat, then spread the veggies across the sheet pan. Add the chicken sausage & pancetta, then toss it into the oven.
- Roast the sheet pan until the chicken sausage is browned, the pancetta is rendered, & the veggies are caramelly, about 25 minutes. Feel free to give things a flip about halfway through to ensure everything browns evenly. In the last couple of minutes, sprinkle some pine nuts over the top, giving them the chance to toast as the sheet pan chicken sausage and vegetables finish roasting.
Chicken Sausage Sheet Pan Tips & Tricks for Success:
It is pretty hard to go wrong with this sheet pan chicken sausage it’s such a simple recipe, but a few quick tricks take it from good to seriously great.
Be sure to…
- Thinly slice the chicken sausage on a bias. Slicing the chicken sausage on a bias (i.e. at a 45-degree angle vs a 90-degree angle) creates more surface area. The sausage will get browner, resulting in a richer roasted flavor. I also like slicing the sausage pretty thin – about 1/4-inch thick – so the edges get super crispy.
- Roast the Brussels sprouts cut side down. The cut side of a halved Brussels sprouts has more surface area than its rounded side, so making sure the cut side of the Brussels sprout is directly in contact with the sheet pan promotes browning, resulting in a richer roasted flavor. Be sure to take a second to quickly arrange them cut side down while you prep the sheet pan for roasting. It makes a huge difference!
- Roast on 2 baking sheets to double down on the browned & crispy factor! My best advice when it comes to any sheet pan dinner is you have to avoid overcrowding the sheet pan, which causes everything to steam rather than roast, so nothing gets browned, crispy & delicious. Simply dividing the chicken sausage & veggies mixture across 2 sheet pans will eliminate this problem entirely. Yes, it’s another pan to wash, but I promise it’s worth it!
- Bonus tip: Eliminate all active prep time with a little meal prep. Nearly all of the active prep work for this recipe comes from chopping the fall veggies. Chop everything up to 5 days in advance & store in the refrigerator. At dinnertime, all you have to do is toss everything on the sheet pan & get roasting – so easy! Check the Recipe Notes, below, for more guidance.
How to serve your sheet pan chicken sausage dinner.
This chicken apple sausage sheet pan dinner is honestly hearty enough & tasty enough to enjoy all on its own, which is exactly what we usually do here at the PWWB House. I like to finish it off with some freshly shaved parmesan & a drizzle of reduced balsamic vinegar to really take everything to the next level. (I mean, there’s nothing that isn’t made better with a little parm & balsamic, right?!)
If you’d like to serve the roasted chicken sausage and fall veggies with a little side dish to complete your meal, go for it. I suggest keeping things really simple, with:
- Your grain of choice. Quinoa or brown rice are go-to’s in my kitchen, but farro or wild rice are awesome heartier options for fall. Use whatever you love most!
- Or, make a simple salad, tossing some greens with maple balsamic vinaigrette, extra pine nuts, & some extra parm if you know what’s good for you! If you want to get really fancy, try this Autumn Kale Salad. It has Honeycrisp apples, goat cheese, & pancetta-pretzel croutons – sorta insane, in the best way possible!
I cannot wait for you to make this Sheet Pan Chicken Sausage with Fall Veggies recipe. It’s truly such a simple & satisfying weeknight dinner. We love it so much & I know you will too if you love fall flavors!
If you do give it a try, be sure to let me know!: Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @playswellwithbutter on Instagram. I LOVE hearing about & seeing your PWWB creations! Happy cooking! ♡Print
This Harvest Sheet Pan Chicken Sausage Dinner is not your average sheet pan meal! Chicken apple sausage, butternut squash, & Brussels sprouts are tossed in a quick maple dressing, then roast with pancetta & pine nuts to crispy, caramelly perfection. This hearty chicken sausage sheet pan is filled with the bold, rich flavors of fall.
- 16 ounces Brussels sprouts, trimmed & halved (roughly 12 ounces/2 cups trimmed)
- 1/2 small butternut squash, peeled, deseeded & cut into 1/2-inch cubes (roughly 12 ounces/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh herbs (e.g. rosemary, sage, thyme, oregano, etc.)
- 12 ounces fully-cooked apple chicken sausage, sliced on a bias into 1/4-inch pieces (see Recipe Notes)
- 4 ounces pancetta, diced into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- coarse kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- for serving, as desired: shaved parmesan, balsamic glaze, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil for easy cleanup.
- Prep the sheet pan: Place the trimmed Brussels sprouts & cubed butternut squash on the prepared sheet pan. Drizzle the olive oil & maple syrup over top. Season with the fresh herbs, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, & ground black pepper as desired. Using your hands, toss to coat the veggies in the seasoning, then arrange in an even layer on the sheet pan. Add the thinly sliced chicken sausage & cubed pancetta to the sheet pan, doing your best to ensure everything is in a single, even layer. If needed, use 2 sheet pans to avoid overcrowding.
- Roast: Transfer the sheet pan to the oven. Roast for 25 minutes, flipping the veggies & sausage halfway through. With 5 minutes left, add the pine nuts to the sheet pan to toast as the chicken sausage & veggies finish roasting.
- Serve: Finish the sheet pan with a sprinkling of shaved parmesan & a drizzle of balsamic glaze, as desired. Serve immediately, with a fresh green salad &/or grains of your choice. Enjoy!
- Best chicken sausage to use:
- You can really use any chicken sausage you love for this chicken sausage sheet pan dinner. My absolute favorite is Amylu chicken sausage, which I find at Whole Foods. They’re made with real food ingredients & come in a variety of delish flavors. My personal favorite for this particular recipe is the Amylu Apple & Gouda Chicken Sausage.
- It’s worth noting that as written, this recipe calls for fully-cooked chicken sausage. To substitute your favorite fresh (raw) chicken sausage, roast the sausage whole with the vegetables according to Step 4 of Recipe Directions, above, & thinly slice before serving.
- Make-Ahead & Storage: Leftovers will keep, stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, for up to 5 days.
- 15-Minute Meal Prep: Nearly all of the active prep work for this sheet pan dinner recipe is chopping veggies. Chop them up in advance to get a head start on your chicken sausage sheet pan – it’ll take 15 minutes, tops. Store the veggies in individual airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. At dinnertime all you have to do is toss them on a sheet pan & get roasting – so easy!:
- Trim & halve 16 ounces Brussels sprouts.
- Peel, deseed, & dice 1 small butternut squash into 1/2-inch cubes. You’ll use about 1/2 of the butternut squash (2 cups) in this recipe.
Keywords: sheet pan chicken sausage and vegetables, sheet pan dinner, chicken sausage, chicken apple sausage, fall vegetables, butternut squash, Brussels sprouts, easy, healthy, gluten-free, fall recipes, weeknight
Recipe by Jess Larson, Plays Well With Butter | Photography by Eat Love Eat
Love this Chicken Apple Sausage Sheet Pan Dinner? More Easy Weeknight Recipes for Fall!
- Another easy sheet pan recipe!: Sheet Pan Veggie Shawarma
- Another quick & healthy chicken sausage recipe: 15-Minute Chicken Sausage Quinoa Skillet.
- Another super simple recipe that delivers majorly bold flavor!: Easy Chorizo & Sweet Potato Tacos
- So cozy & comforting, perfect for fall!: Butternut Squash Red Curry
- More weeknight comfort food: Weeknight Chicken Tortilla Soup with Sweet Potatoes
- All PWWB Weeknight Recipes
Thank you so much for reading & supporting Plays Well With Butter. This post includes affiliate links for products I truly love & use on the reg in my own home. All opinions are always my own! Should you make a purchase using one of these links, PWWB will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you, which helps me continue to bring you great original & free content.