The easiest Chorizo Sweet Potato Tacos are here to rock your taco-lovin’ world! This chorizo taco recipe gives authentic chorizo and potato tacos a little PWWB twist, with the use of hearty sweet potatoes & canned black beans. Made with 3 ingredients in 20 minutes or less, these chorizo and sweet potato tacos are boldly flavored, subtly spicy, super satisfying, & SO easy! A total weeknight dinner win!
As a recipe creator dedicated to simplifying weeknight cooking without sacrificing any bold flavors, the idea of “back pocket recipes” is something I more or less obsess over.
You know, the kinda magical meals that you turn to when you don’t really know what to make for dinner, but after a quick once over of what’s goin’ on in your pantry & fridge, everything just sorta mindlessly, effortlessly, & deliciously falls in place? (Don’t you just love when that happens?? Me too.)
…Or mayyybe it’s a plate filled with colorful, hearty, bold tacos.
Colorful, hearty AF, boldly seasoned tacos – yes, yes, YES! – is exactly what we’re doin’ today: Chorizo Sweet Potato Tacos, also known as the 3-ingredient weeknight wonder that you’re about to be completely obsessed with.
This chorizo taco recipe is inspired by fond memories of the authentic chorizo and potato tacos at the late-night taco cart that set up shop across the street from the restaurant I worked at in my days as a server in downtown Milwaukee. They were spicy, satisfying, & perfect with a cold beer – pretty much everything you want out of a late-night meal!
Rather than sticking to the classic, as delicious as it is, I switched things up a little bit, swapping potatoes with sweet potatoes in these easy chorizo tacos. The natural sweetness of sweet potatoes plays off the bold, spicy flavors of the chorizo perfectly, and the quick addition of canned black beans makes these sweet potato and chorizo tacos really hearty & substantial.
Plus, they’re so flavorful that you’d never guess you made them with 3 ingredients in 20 minutes or less. Best chorizo tacos dinner ever!
(That’s what I call PWWB weeknight magic.)
This chorizo taco recipe is a newly declared favorite at the PWWB house, & I can’t wait for you to try them. ♡ Read on to learn more about this chorizo taco recipe, or jump straight to the recipe & get cookin’!
Easy chorizo tacos, made with just 3 ingredients!
It goes without saying that one of the best things about this chorizo taco recipe is the fact that it’s made with 3 really simple ingredients. (Note: the full Ingredients List, including measurements, is provided in the Recipe Card, below.)
- Mexican chorizo
- Sweet potato
- Black beans
THAT IS IT!!!
Chances are if your kitchen is anything like mine, you usually keep sweet potatoes & black beans stocked in your pantry. In other words, at any point in time, you’re already 2/3 of the way to chorizo sweet potato taco bliss!
The last thing you need, obviously, is the chorizo.
What is chorizo?
If you’re new to Mexican chorizo, it’s a highly spiced fresh sausage that gets its amazing bold & rich flavor from the spices & herbs that it’s mixed with: chile peppers, garlic, oregano, paprika, etc. In addition to tasting really bold & spicy, chorizo also has a hint of warmth from spices like cloves & cinnamon.
It’s so good, & it’s one of my absolute favorite ingredients, especially when it comes to weeknight cooking.
Because chorizo has a higher fat content & is filled with spices, it’s quite literally a flavor bomb ingredient, adding so much bold flavor to whatever else you’re cooking it with. Plus, chorizo cooks up very quickly, so you can accomplish rich, deep flavors without spending a ton of time or energy coaxing it out. That’s a weeknight cooking dream if you ask me!
Some chorizo FAQs:
- Spanish vs Mexican chorizo: It’s worth noting that there’s a HUGE difference between Spanish & Mexican chorizo! Mexican chorizo is a fresh, uncooked sausage, while Spanish chorizo is cured & dried (similar to salami or pepperoni). Both are delicious, though when it comes to chorizo tacos, Mexican chorizo is what you’ll want to use.
- What kind of meat is chorizo? Mexican chorizo is traditionally made with pork (ground pork shoulder), but these days you can commonly find chorizo made from leaner proteins, such as turkey or chicken, or even plant-based proteins, such as tofu.
- What does chorizo taste like? DELICIOUS! Chorizo has amazing richness (due to the higher fat content of pork), & bold flavor (due to all of the spices & herbs mixed in it), with a little hint of warmth (from warming spices like cinnamon & cloves). Chorizo is typically spicy, though you can commonly find mild varieties as well.
- How long does it take to cook chorizo? Similar to browning up hamburger or ground pork, chorizo cooks up in mere minutes. The longer you cook it, the crispier it gets, which is delicious as well!
- Where to buy chorizo? Chorizo is readily available these days – I’ve had luck finding it at most conventional grocery stores, in the fresh meats & sausages assortment. If you have a Mexican market near you, I suggest checking them out for seriously authentic & delicious fresh chorizo.
How to make these Chorizo Sweet Potato tacos:
Cooking up a batch of these sweet potato and chorizo tacos takes less than 20 minutes & is as easy as 1-2-3!
(Note: full Recipe Directions are provided in the Recipe Card, below):
- Par-cook the sweet potato: Add diced sweet potato to a large skillet with a little bit of olive oil. Cook for a few minutes, allowing the sweet potato to soften & brown up slightly.
- Brown the chorizo: Add chorizo to the same skillet & brown for a few minutes, using a wooden spoon to break it into bite-sized crumbles as it cooks.
- Add the black beans: Add canned black beans to the same skillet, & give it all a good stir. I like to use a wooden spoon to mash the black beans ever so slightly, which binds the mixture together and gives a slightly addictive creamy texture. DELISH!
Less than 20 minutes later, & you’re ready to serve! Easiest & best chorizo tacos dinner ever!
What to serve with your chorizo sweet potato tacos – life’s all about the toppings!
If you ask me, life is all about the toppings, & these chorizo tacos are no exception. Load them up generously, using whatever you’ve got in your fridge.
Some of our favorite taco toppings:
- lots of finely chopped cilantro
- smashed avocado or guacamole
- cheese – I love a crumbly, dry cheese such as cotija.
- quick pickled red onions – a PWWB fridge staple!
- Mexican crema or sour cream – pictured here is my go-to cashew crema recipe (vegan/dairy-free), blitzed up with some cilantro & jalapeno for extra flavor – another PWWB fridge staple.
- & a fried egg makes for an awesome breakfast-style taco!
A worthy note if you’re not in the mood for tacos: This sweet potato chorizo mixture is really, really versatile & can be used in any of your favorite Mexican or Tex-Mex meals: taco salad, easy tostadas, sheet pan nachos, enchiladas, crispy taquitos – you name it!
Consider it your newest all-purpose weeknight dinner solution whenever the cravings for Mexican food are comin’ in strong. (&, like, seriously? When are they not?!)
I can’t wait for you to give these Chorizo Sweet Potato Tacos a try soon. They’re so flavorful, & I have a feeling they’ll be added to your weeknight dinner rotation ASAP.
If you do give it a try, be sure to let me know by leaving a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @playswellwithbutter on Instagram. I LOVE hearing about & seeing your PWWB creations! Happy cooking! ♡Print
This chorizo taco recipe gives authentic chorizo and potato tacos a little modern twist, with the use of hearty sweet potatoes & black beans. Made with 3 ingredients in 20 minutes or less, these chorizo and sweet potato tacos are boldly flavored, subtly spicy, super satisfying, & SO easy! Helllllloooo, Taco Tuesday!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled & diced into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 pound fresh Mexican chorizo, removed from its casing
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- kosher salt & ground black pepper, to season
- for serving, as desired: charred corn tortillas, Mexican crema or cashew crema, pickled red onions, freshly chopped cilantro, queso fresco or cheese of choice, salsa of choice, etc.
- Cook the sweet potato: Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the sweet potato, seasoning with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Stir to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes, until the sweet potato begins to soften.
- Brown the chorizo: Push the sweet potatoes to the edges of the skillet. Add in the chorizo. Brown the chorizo for 4-5 minutes, using a wooden spoon to break it into bite-sized crumbles as it cooks. Once the chorizo is crumbled & browned, stir in the sweet potatoes.
- Add the black beans: Add the black beans to the skillet, stirring to combine with the chorizo sweet potato mixture. I like to use a wooden spoon to mash the black beans ever so slightly, binding the mixture together. Cook until heated through, 1-2 minutes. Taste and season with additional kosher salt or ground black pepper, as needed.
- Serve! Spoon the chorizo mixture into tortillas, finishing with your favorite taco toppings of choice: sour cream/Mexican crema, pickled red onions, cilantro, etc. Enjoy!
- Other serving options: The sweet potato chorizo mixture is very versatile & can be used in any of your favorite Mexican or Tex-Mex meals: taco salad, easy tostadas, enchiladas, nachos, etc.
- Storage: Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop to enjoy on a second round of tacos, or repurpose them in any of the easy meals mentioned above!
- 5-minute meal prep: The only prep time involved in this recipe is chopping veggies. Chop the veggies in advance, storing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. At dinnertime all you have to do is get cookin’ – couldn’t be easier!:
- Peel & dice 1 medium sweet potato into 1/4-inch cubes
Keywords: chorizo sweet potato tacos, chorizo taco recipe, Mexican & Tex-Mex, dairy-free, pork recipes, easy recipes, weeknight dinner
More easy Taco Tuesday recipes to love…
- The absolute BEST veggie tacos: Easy Roasted Veggie Tacos with Chipotle Cashew Crema
- Another simple 25-minute taco recipe, leaning heavy on pantry staples: Quinoa & Black Bean Tacos with Cilantro Lime Crema
- A PWWB House favorite, great for tacos, taco salad, burritos & nachos!: Sheet Pan Pollo Verde (Salsa Verde Chicken)
- The easiest homemade margaritas, without any fussy syrups or liqueurs: Refined-Sugar Free Margaritas
- All PWWB Mexican & Tex-Mex Inspired Recipes
Thank you so much for reading & supporting Plays Well With Butter. This post includes affiliate links for products I truly love & use on the reg in my own home. All opinions are always my own! Should you make a purchase using one of these links, PWWB will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you, which helps me continue to bring you great original & free content.