This chorizo taco recipe gives authentic chorizo and potato tacos a little modern twist, with the use of hearty sweet potatoes & black beans. Made with 3 ingredients in 20 minutes or less, these chorizo and sweet potato tacos are boldly flavored, subtly spicy, super satisfying, & SO easy! Helllllloooo, Taco Tuesday!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled & diced into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 pound fresh Mexican chorizo, removed from its casing
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- kosher salt & ground black pepper, to season
- for serving, as desired: charred corn tortillas, Mexican crema or cashew crema, pickled red onions, freshly chopped cilantro, queso fresco or cheese of choice, salsa of choice, etc.
- Cook the sweet potato: Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the sweet potato, seasoning with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Stir to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes, until the sweet potato begins to soften.
- Brown the chorizo: Push the sweet potatoes to the edges of the skillet. Add in the chorizo. Brown the chorizo for 4-5 minutes, using a wooden spoon to break it into bite-sized crumbles as it cooks. Once the chorizo is crumbled & browned, stir in the sweet potatoes.
- Add the black beans: Add the black beans to the skillet, stirring to combine with the chorizo sweet potato mixture. I like to use a wooden spoon to mash the black beans ever so slightly, binding the mixture together. Cook until heated through, 1-2 minutes. Taste and season with additional kosher salt or ground black pepper, as needed.
- Serve! Spoon the chorizo mixture into tortillas, finishing with your favorite taco toppings of choice: sour cream/Mexican crema, pickled red onions, cilantro, etc. Enjoy!
- Other serving options: The sweet potato chorizo mixture is very versatile & can be used in any of your favorite Mexican or Tex-Mex meals: taco salad, easy tostadas, enchiladas, nachos, etc.
- Storage: Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop to enjoy on a second round of tacos, or repurpose them in any of the easy meals mentioned above!
- 5-minute meal prep: The only prep time involved in this recipe is chopping veggies. Chop the veggies in advance, storing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. At dinnertime all you have to do is get cookin’ – couldn’t be easier!:
- Peel & dice 1 medium sweet potato into 1/4-inch cubes
Keywords: chorizo sweet potato tacos, chorizo taco recipe, Mexican & Tex-Mex, dairy-free, pork recipes, easy recipes, weeknight dinner