The BEST Oven Baked & Broiled Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas (Hands-Off With the Perfect Sizzle! 🔥)
Here at the PWWB House, chicken fajitas are always on our regular dinner rotation! I love that they’re quick & easy, super satisfying, & totally feel-good – ✔️✔️✔️! As much as I adore my go-to Sizzlin’ Skillet Chicken Fajitas recipe, sometimes even that feels like too much work on a busy weeknight. That’s how this hands-off Sheet Pan Chicken Fajita recipe came to be!
With just 10 minutes of active prep & 10 minutes of roasting, these oven baked chicken fajitas are easy enough for any night of the week. Even with a short cooking time, they have the perfect fajita spiced flavor & crispy-yet-tender texture. Honestly pretty hard not to love!
You’ll start by quickly seasoning the chicken with a generous amount of fajita spices, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, & a little agave. This fajita seasoning is like a quick & easy take on my Chili Lime Marinade. It has the perfect balance of rich spice, light sweetness & beautifully bright fresh lime. From there, simply toss the chicken on a sheet pan with thinly sliced bell peppers & onions, then let the oven do all the work!
Since I’m pretty particular about my chicken fajitas, I tested this method over & over until the result was just right. Roasting at a really high temperature is key to creating the perfect caramelized & juicy textures. Finishing the chicken fajitas sheet pan under the broiler adds a char that’s reminiscent of a restaurant-style sizzling fajita platter. It’s so good & couldn’t be easier!
It only gets better from there, because ways to enjoy these baked chicken fajitas are endless. Serve them nestled in tacos, wrapped in a Chicken Fajita Burrito, piled on a Chicken Fajita Bowl – seriously whatever you’re craving. It’s always delicious!
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajita Recipe Highlights
I have a feeling that once you try them, these baked chicken fajitas will earn a spot on your weekly meal rotation! You’ll love them because they’re…
FLAVORFUL & FUSS-FREE. A few basic flavor-bomb pantry staples like chili powder, cumin, paprika, & Worcestershire sauce create tons of flavor with barely any effort required. Simply season the chicken & roast it alongside fajita veggies for easy, hands-off cooking. Perfect for busy weeknights!
CRISPY & SIZZLING. A method I’ve tested to perfection, the chicken fajita sheet pan quickly bakes in a super hot oven & finishes under the broiler. The results are flawless – crispy-yet-juicy chicken & tender-charred bell peppers & onions. Totally restaurant-worthy & seriously craveable!
A VERSATILE STAPLE. We never get tired of oven baked chicken fajitas! Enjoy them with all of your favorite fajita toppings in tacos, burritos, salads, nachos, bowls, & more. They’re always delicious, no matter how you serve them!
Winner, winner chicken fajitas sheet pan dinner! ♡ Read on to learn more about how to make Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas, or jump straight to the recipe & get cooking!
One of the reasons I love this sheet pan chicken fajita recipe so much is because it creates a ton of flavor using just a handful of staple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen. Seasoning the chicken & fajita veggies with a generous amount of spices makes their flavors pop, while a few smart pantry staples help create the perfect sizzlin’ fajita char that rivals any restaurant!
Note: Full ingredients list & measurements provided in the Recipe Card, below.
- Chicken – For best results, use extra-juicy chicken thighs. They’re much more forgiving than skinless chicken breasts & stand up well to the high heat of the oven. More tips below!
- Fajitas veggies – We like keeping things pretty classic with bell peppers, onions, & a simple seasoning of garlic powder & dried oregano. These fajita vegetables are pretty flexible, so feel free to use yellow bell pepper or red bell pepper (orange & green bell pepper are fine, too!) & yellow or red onion. If you happen to have zucchini or mushrooms hanging in your fridge, feel free to slice them up & toss them in, too!
- Homemade fajita seasoning – This fajita spice blend is super quick to throw together & uses many pantry staple spices you probably already have on hand! Ancho chili powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika, & garlic powder give the chicken fajitas the biggest punch of warm & smoky aromatic flavor.
- Flavor boosters – A generous amount of fresh lime juice adds beautiful brightness to balance the rich & smoky flavor of the fajita seasoning, while a splash of Worcestershire sauce lends rich depth of flavor & the littlest bit of agave nectar helps the chicken fajitas caramelize under the broiler.
Prep Tips & Tricks
This sheet pan chicken fajitas recipe is designed to be a very quick & simple meal with minimal prep. Even so, there are a few things to keep in mind for the absolute best results…
- Chicken thighs vs. breasts? ⇢ While both cuts work well for baked chicken fajitas, I always prefer extra-juicy thighs. They stand up super well to the high heat of the oven, which is essential in this recipe. If you prefer chicken breasts, definitely skip broiling to ensure the meat doesn’t dry out.
- How to cut chicken for fajitas? ⇢ Do your best to very thinly slice the chicken – aim for ¼-inch strips. These thin pieces of chicken soak up loads of flavor & bake up very quickly in the oven.
- How to season chicken for fajitas? ⇢ Quickly marinate the sliced chicken in a homemade fajita marinade made with spices, fresh lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, & agave nectar. This takes a few minutes, tops!
- Meal prep it! ⇢ For an extra-fast weeknight meal, slice your bell peppers, onions, & chicken in advance & store in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator until dinnertime. At dinnertime, they can go straight from the fridge to the sheet pan – how easy is that?!
How to Make Chicken Fajitas in the Oven
Oven baked chicken fajitas are so easy, it’s really hard not to love them. But one of the big benefits of grilled fajitas or skillet fajitas is the crave-worthy caramelization that comes from cooking with high heat.
Recreating that big, bold flavor with a hands-off cooking method was my biggest priority for this recipe. So I tested & tested until it was clear that a bake-then-broil method is the best way to get a restaurant-worthy fajita sizzle with as little effort as possible.
Full Recipe Directions, including step-by-step photos, are included in the Recipe Card, below.
Season the veggies & chicken. Season the sliced bell peppers & onions with garlic powder, oregano, & S&P, then transfer the mixture to a sheet pan. Using the same bowl, quickly toss the chicken thighs in the chili lime fajita marinade, & transfer to the same sheet pan as the veggies. Prep Tips! ⇢ For easy clean up, feel free to line your sheet pan with foil. Be sure to spread everything out into an even layer, which helps ensure even cooking & promotes caramelization in the oven.
Roast the chicken fajita sheet pan. Transfer the sheet pan to a 450-degree oven, allowing the chicken fajita sheet pan to bake for about 10-12 minutes. Why? ⇢ Since the oven is especially hot & the baked chicken fajitas are so thinly sliced, it doesn’t take long for them to cook through. Feel free to check for doneness with a meat thermometer, but chances are you’ll be able to visibly see that the chicken is ready since it’s so thinly sliced.
Finish under the broiler. During the last few minutes of roasting, turn on your oven’s broiler. Continue to cook, rotating the sheet pan as needed, until the chicken & fajita veggies are deliciously browned with crispy edges. This happens fast, so keep an eye on it! Why? ⇢ This is when the magic happens! The intense heat of the broiler’s flame accelerates cooking, transforming the chicken fajitas from nicely baked to beautifully caramelized & charred. It’s a game-changer!
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas Serving Suggestions
One of the main reasons chicken fajitas are on regular dinner rotation here at the PWWB is that there are endless ways to enjoy them. With tons of different serving options & toppings, there’s really no way to get tired of this sheet pan chicken fajita recipe!
What to serve with chicken fajitas? ⇢ The options are truly endless, but some of our favorites include…
- DIY Chicken Fajita Tacos – Stuff the chicken fajitas into a warm tortilla, taco shell, or lettuce wrap.
- Chicken Fajita Burritos – Tuck the chicken fajitas into large flour tortillas with rice, beans, & whatever toppings you love!
- Chicken Fajita Bowl – My personal favorite, inspired by my go-to Chipotle order. Build a burrito bowl with rice, beans, salsa, & a good drizzle of 5-Minute Avocado Crema.
What to put on chicken fajitas? ⇢ While they’re great all on their own, we are always suckers for some extra fajita toppings. Serve your baked chicken fajitas with whatever you love. Some ideas to get you started…
- Avocado – Slice it, dice it, smash it up with a little lime juice, or make a proper guacamole.
- Creamy sauce – Keep it simple with sour cream, or take it to the next level with a quick homemade sauce. I’m obsessed with this 5-Minute Avocado Crema. For a dairy-free option, try my easy Cashew Crema recipe.
- Cheese – Sprinkle on your favorite shredded cheese or try some crumbly queso fresco.
- Other add-ons – You also can’t go wrong with black beans, salsa, cilantro, & lime wedges. Choose your favorites & have fun with it!
I can’t wait for you to try these Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas! They’re the perfect fast & flavorful weeknight dinner that’s easy to enjoy in endless ways. We seriously never get tired of them & I doubt you will either!
If you do give them a try, be sure to let us know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @playswellwithbutter on Instagram. We LOVE seeing your PWWB creations! ♡ Happy cooking!
More Recipes Like This:
Tex-Mex & Mexican-Inspired Sheet Pan Dinners
Chicken fajitas have always been one of my all-time favorite weeknight dinners – they’re the perfect quick, veggie-loaded, & satisfying meal! – & this particular Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas is my go-to recipe. They’re ready in 20 minutes & the oven does most of the work!
Since I’m pretty particular about chicken fajitas, I tested this method over & over until the result was just right. The secret is oven-roasting at a high temperature & finishing under the broiler, which bakes the sheet pan chicken fajitas to juicy-tender & crispy-caramelized perfection – so good!
From there, the serving options are endless – enjoy as tacos, Chicken Fajita Burritos, or my all-time favorite – in a Chicken Fajita Bowl with Avocado Crema. Easy weeknight dinners don’t get better than that!
Be sure to check out the Recipe Notes, below, for prep tips & tricks, & the blog post, above, for plenty more serving ideas. ♡ Happy cooking!
for the fajitas veggies:
- 2 large bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 large red or yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- heaping ½ teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- kosher salt & ground black pepper, to season
for the chili lime chicken:
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, thinly sliced into ¼-inch strips (see Recipe Notes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar (can sub honey or brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 ½ teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- heaping ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt & ground black pepper, to season
for serving, as desired:
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F, ensuring one rack is positioned in the top third of the oven. Gather & prep all listed ingredients – slice the bell peppers & onions, slice the chicken, gather the spices, etc.
- Prepare the sheet pan chicken fajitas: To a medium bowl, add all listed fajitas veggies ingredients, seasoning with 1 teaspoon kosher salt & ground black pepper as desired. Toss to combine well, then transfer to a large, rimmed baking sheet. To the same bowl, add all listed chili lime chicken ingredients, seasoning with 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt & ground black pepper as desired. Toss to combine well, then transfer to the same baking sheet as the fajitas veggies. Do your best to spread everything into an even layer so nothing is especially overcrowded on the pan.
- Roast the sheet pan chicken fajitas: Transfer the sheet pan to the oven. Roast 10-12 minutes, just until the chicken is cooked through – the chicken should be juicy + tender & the veggies should be crisp & colorful. If desired, finish under the broiler for a crispy, browned finish a la sizzling skillet fajitas. In the last 3-4 minutes of roasting, turn the broiler on its highest setting & broil, carefully rotating the pan halfway through, until the chicken fajitas are browned & slightly crisp. Remove from the oven & set aside for serving.
- Serve immediately as desired. We love serving these chicken fajitas in tortillas with a little smashed avocado & salsa of choice. It’s also great stuffed in a burrito, served on a burrito bowl with cilantro lime rice & beans, or stuffed in lettuce cups alongside rice & beans – whatever you love most. Enjoy!
- Jess’ Notes & Tips:
- Chicken thighs vs chicken breasts: I prefer using chicken thighs in this recipe, since they’re flavorful & stay really nice & juicy through roasting + broiling, but you can swap them out with breasts if you prefer. If so, skip broiling, as breast meat will dry out.
- Ancho chiles are dried poblano peppers with nice mild-medium heat & great flavor. Ancho chili/chile powder is just that – a powder of finely ground ancho chile peppers. I love Simply Organic Ancho Chili Powder, which is certified organic & has wonderful flavor – I keep it stocked in my spice rack at all times, as it’s great for adding extra flavor & mild heat to Mexican-inspired dishes. If you do not have ancho chile powder on hand, you can substitute with “chili powder” for this particular recipe. Standard “chili powder” here in the U.S. is most often a blend of ground chiles & spices like oregano, cumin, & garlic – so it’s not a perfect substitute for pure chile powders all the time, but all of these flavors work well in this chicken fajitas recipe.
- 5-10 Minute Meal Prep: These sheet pan chicken fajitas bake very quickly, but a little meal prep makes dinner come together even faster during the week. Get all the chopping out of the way ahead of time & all you have to do at dinnertime is preheat the oven – easy!
- Thinly slice 2 bell peppers & 1 onion. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Thinly slice 1 ½ pounds chicken. If desired, season with the chili lime marinade, too! Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Storage & Reheating: Store leftover chicken fajitas in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave until warmed through, then serve as desired.