The Perfect Creamy Sauce for Any Mexican-Inspired Meal!
I love a good easy sauce recipe, & this particular Avocado Crema is one of PWWB’s most popular. You might recognize it from our viral Black Bean Tostadas with Charred Corn or our fan-favorite Chicken Fajita Bowls, but there’s simply nothing not to love about it! It’s so creamy-dreamy with the best cooling flavor, so it pairs perfectly with any Mexican-inspired dish, all with the most picture-perfect pop of green color.
The inspiration for this sauce is crema Mexicana, a Mexican staple traditionally made with heavy cream, buttermilk, & lime juice. Similar to sour cream, Mexican crema’s creamy consistency & slightly tangy flavor is the perfect complement to rich & spicy foods.
This avocado crema recipe kicks the creamy factor up a few notches with the use of ripe avocado! 🥑 Of course, it’s not a traditional add-in, but I love that avocado’s natural fats create an extra rich & creamy texture without relying on a ton of dairy. Just whip it up in your food processor with a little sour cream or Greek yogurt, cilantro, jalapeño, & fresh lime juice until it’s super smooth & beautifully green – easy!
The result is a dreamy avocado cream sauce that pairs wonderfully with any of your favorite Tex-Mex & Mexican-inspired dishes – tacos & burritos to enchiladas, & everything in between! It’s also great all on its own, served as a dip with tortilla chips or grilled veggies. Seriously, you can’t go wrong!
Avocado Crema Recipe Highlights
Made & loved by thousands of PWWB readers over the years, this creamy avocado sauce is…
CREAMY-DREAMY. Inspired by traditional Mexican crema, this easy sauce gets an extra dose of creaminess from ripe avocado. Whip it up with a little a little sour cream or Greek yogurt & the result is a beautifully rich & creamy avocado crema sauce that pairs with just about anything!
FAST! This avocado crema is made with 7 simple ingredients & couldn’t be easier to whip together with the help of a food processor or blender. It takes 5 minutes, tops! Plus, it keeps for several days in the fridge – a meal prepper’s dream!
Absolutely heavenly! 🥑 ♡ Read on to learn more about how to make Avocado Crema, or jump straight to the recipe & get cooking!
Mexican crema is a creamy & cooling condiment traditionally made with a blend of heavy cream, buttermilk, & fresh lime juice. This avocado crema recipe draws inspiration from the classic condiment’s signature creaminess & tanginess, but a few added twists give it bolder flavor & a beautiful green color.
Note: Full ingredients list & measurements provided in the Recipe Card, below.
- Avocado – Of course! Nutrient-rich avocados have awesome healthy fats, which help create an extra-creamy avocado crema without relying on a ton of dairy. As a bonus, avocado livens the sauce up with a fun green hue! For best results, look for beautifully ripe avocados, which should give ever-so-slightly with a very gentle squeeze.
- Sour cream – Rich dairy traditionally gives Mexican crema its creaminess! If you prefer not to use sour cream, full-fat or Greek yogurt is a great substitute. More guidance on dairy-free & vegan avocado crema recipe variations below!
- Lime – Another staple ingredient of traditional Mexican crema. The brightness of fresh lime juice balances the rich creaminess of the avocado & sour cream. If you do not have limes on hand, lemon juice also works well.
- Aromatics – Namely garlic, jalapeño, & cilantro. While these guacamole-inspired add-ins are not traditional Mexican crema ingredients, their punchy & fresh flavor complements the creamy avocado beautifully!
- Water – Just a little, to help thin out the avocado crema sauce if needed.
Easy Recipe Variations
Dairy-Free & Vegan Avocado Crema
You don’t necessarily need dairy to make a rich & creamy crema sauce, especially with the addition of avocado. If you’d like to make a vegan avocado crema, here are 2 suggestions to get you started…
- For an easy swap, replace the sour cream with your favorite dairy-free sour cream or Greek yogurt.
- If you prefer not to use dairy-free “dairy” products, try our Vegan Cashew Crema instead. The Recipe Notes detail a Cilantro Lime variation, & its flavor & texture is very similar to this avocado crema sauce.
How to Make Avocado Crema in a Food Processor
My favorite thing about this creamy avocado sauce is that it’s so simple to make! It comes together in 5 minutes with the help of a food processor, so it’s a really easy add-on for any dinner recipe.
Full Recipe Directions, including step-by-step photos, are included in the Recipe Card, below.
Prepare the avocado crema. Pit & peel the avocado, then add it to the bowl of your food processor with sour cream, de-seeded jalepeño, garlic, lime juice, & cilantro. Start by pulsing first to gently break up the avocado & cilantro, then let the food processor run until the sauce is smooth & creamy. Avocado Prep Tip! ⇢ To safely prep your avocado, let it rest on the countertop, rather than in your hand, to avoid any mishaps.
Adjust as needed. At this point, the sauce will be super thick & creamy. Simply add a few tablespoons water at a time, blending well between additions, until the avocado crema reaches your desired consistency. This is really a matter of preference, so feel free to make your crema as thick or thin as you like.
Meal Prep & Storage Tips
Avocado Crema Storage
This avocado crema sauce stores beautifully, so feel free to prep it ahead of time & tuck away any leftovers for a later meal – it’ll keep, stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, for 3-4 days.
Storage Tip! ⇢ Be sure to store your avocado crema in an airtight container with a tight seal. With prolonged exposure to air, avocado oxidizes, losing its beautiful green color & turning murky brown instead. You can prevent your avocado crema from turning brown by pressing a piece of plastic wrap directly over the surface of the sauce before sealing the container. Unlike guacamole, browning isn’t a huge concern for this avocado crema since it’s made with a good amount of dairy, but it never hurts to be safe!
Can You Freeze Avocado Crema?
Given the amount of dairy & lime juice in this avocado crema recipe, I do not suggest freezing any leftover sauce. Instead, put it to use in another meal – many serving suggestions detailed below!
What to Serve With Avocado Lime Crema Sauce
Perhaps the better question is what not to eat with avocado crema?! Here at the PWWB House, we’re so obsessed with this creamy-dreamy sauce that we’ll put it on practically everything!
Given its Mexican-inspired flavor, this avocado crema is a great pairing for any of your favorite Tex-Mex or Mexican dinners. Its creamy consistency & cool flavor is the perfect complement to rich & spicy foods.
My personal favorite pairings are our viral Black Bean Tostadas with Charred Corn or our fan-favorite Chicken Fajita Bowls, but the options are truly endless. Some more serving ideas to get you started…
- Taco Night ⇢ Boldly spiced tacos beg for a creamy & cooling sauce! Try our Baked Chicken Tacos, Crispy Fish Tacos, or our plant-based Black Bean Quinoa Tacos.
- Burrito Night ⇢ Layer avocado crema into an epic Chicken Burrito or swoop it across the base of your favorite veggie burrito bowls for a bit of creaminess in every single bite!
- As a dip! ⇢ Creamy avocado sauce doubles as a fantastic dip for cheesy quesadillas, tortilla chips, grilled veggies, or your favorite party snack.
- Beyond the tortilla… ⇢ Spread it over a Southwest Turkey Burger, dollop on a bowl of Sweet Potato Chili, or toss it into an epic Taco Salad. You really can’t go wrong with avocado crema!
I can’t wait for you to try this Avocado Crema recipe! Its smooth, creamy texture is simply heavenly & a big spreadable swoop easily elevates any Mexican-inspired dish. We’re totally obsessed! 🥑
If you do give it a try, be sure to let us know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @playswellwithbutter on Instagram. We LOVE seeing your PWWB creations! ♡ Happy cooking!
More Recipes Like This:
Easy Sauces & Dressings
This Avocado Crema is one of PWWB’s most well-loved easy sauce recipes! It’s made with 7 simple ingredients in 5 minutes or less thanks to the help of a food processor or blender, & it pairs beautifully with any of your favorite Tex-Mex & Mexican-inspired dishes. Nothing not to love!
The inspiration for this sauce is crema Mexicana, a Mexican condiment traditionally made with heavy cream, buttermilk, & lime juice. Its tangy, cooling quality makes it the perfect complement to rich & spicy foods.
Of course, avocado is not a traditional add-in, but you’ll love the way it helps create an extra creamy sauce without relying on a ton of dairy. Plus, it creates the most picture-perfect pop of green!
Be sure to check the Recipe Notes, below, for vegan & dairy-free recipe variations, & read through the blog post, above, for plenty of serving suggestions. Avocado crema is a staple in our kitchen & I think you’re going to love it too! ♡ Happy cooking!
- 1 large avocado, pitted & peeled
- 1 large jalapeño, deseeded as desired
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 limes, juiced (approx. scant ¼ cup juice)
- ⅓ cup packed cilantro leaves & tender stems
- ⅓ cup sour cream or full-fat yogurt
- 2–3 tablespoons water
- kosher salt & ground black pepper, to season
- Blend the avocado crema: Add all listed ingredients (minus the water) to a food processor, seasoning with a heaping ½ teaspoon kosher salt & ground black pepper as desired. Pulse to break up the avocado & cilantro, then blend until smooth & creamy. If necessary, add a couple tablespoons water to smooth out texture.
- Serve: Enjoy your avocado crema immediately. It’s, of course, great served with tacos, burritos, bowls, & tostadas (we especially love them with our Chicken Fajitas Bowls, Black Bean Tostadas, & Grilled Fish Tacos), but it’s also wonderful drizzled on a platter of nachos, served alongside your favorite salsas & dips, or even spread into an impressive 7-Layer Dip. Get creative & have fun with it – sky’s the limit!
- Jess’ Notes & Tips:
- Easy Recipe Variations: If you prefer not to use sour cream, feel free to swap it out with full-fat yogurt. If you avoid dairy or would like to make vegan avocado crema, replace sour cream with your favorite dairy-free substitute.
- Storage: Avocado crema will keep, stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, for 3-4 days. Given the amount of dairy & lime juice it contains, browning should not be an issue – if you’re concerned, you can always press a piece of plastic wrap directly over the surface of the avocado crema to prevent oxidation.
Recipe and Food Styling by Jess Larson, Plays Well With Butter | Photography by Rachel Cook, Half Acre House.