An equally appropriate title for this recipe could be: How to Make All of Your Friends & Family Face Plant into a Bowl of Hummus this Holiday Season. Has quite the ring to it, hey?!
But truly! This pumpkin hummus is SO GOOD & totally face plant-able.
It’s completely creamy & smooth, with tons of festive pumpkin & cozy warm spices (cinnamon! cumin! cayenne!). While this pumpkin spice hummus is absolutely savory (& delish), a teeny tiny splash of maple syrup adds the perfect touch of sweetness & brings all of the flavors to life.
I mean… who wouldn’t want to face plant into that???
When it comes to easy entertaining, homemade hummus is always one of my go-tos. It makes for a healthy addition to any snack table, plus it’s easy to make & totally budget-friendly to feed to a crowd. As my mother-in-law would say, “It’s good & good for ya!”
I’ve shared many hummus recipes over the years, but this one is something special. Between its stunning presentation & its perfectly balanced flavor, this is the absolute best pumpkin hummus recipe!
Pumpkin Hummus Recipe Highlights
This creamy pumpkin hummus recipe is…
- GORGEOUS. I mean HELLO! She’s a stunner! Pumpkin adds the most perfect festive orange hue… totally on-brand for Thanksgiving, right??
- SIMPLE. It calls for 10 very basic pantry ingredients – you probably have them all on hand right now!
- EASY. The entire recipe happens in the bowl of your food processor & takes 10 minutes to whip up (start-to-finish).
- FLAVORFUL. No bland pumpkin hummus here. A combination of cumin, cinnamon, & cayenne really kicks things up a notch!
- THE BEST. The best homemade hummus dip for fall. Though butternut squash hummus is another delicious choice!
Savory & seasonal pumpkin hummus, what’s not to love?! ♡ Read on to learn more about this Creamy Pumpkin Hummus, or jump straight to the recipe & get cookin’!
Homemade Pumpkin Hummus Ingredients
This pumpkin hummus recipe is SIMPLE! Calling for just 10 basic ingredients, everything you need to make this easy pumpkin hummus is probably already in your pantry.
It all starts with the basic homemade hummus line up: (Note, the full Ingredients List, including measurements, is included in the Recipe Card, below.)
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
- Tahini (AKA sesame seed paste – you can find it in the nut butter or “ethnic” aisle in most conventional grocery stores. You can find my absolute fave tahini here.)
& then give it a cozy dose of autumn with…
- Pumpkin purée
- Pure maple syrup (just a touch!)
- & the best fall spices: cumin, cinnamon, & cayenne pepper
How to Make Easy Pumpkin Hummus
This healthy pumpkin hummus recipe couldn’t be simpler to make. It all happens right in the bowl of your food processor. In less than 10 minutes, you’ll have the creamiest, dreamiest homemade hummus dip! Gotta love that!
Here’s how you do it…
- Pulse the chickpeas. Add the chickpeas, pumpkin purée, & a few cloves of garlic to the bowl of your food processor. Pulse a few times, slightly breaking down the chickpeas & garlic. The mixture will be very chunky at this point, with large peas of chickpeas throughout it.
- Season the hummus. Add the remaining pumpkin hummus ingredients to the food processor: lemon juice, tahini, maple syrup, & spices. Turn the food processor on & let it run until the mixture is combined, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. The hummus will still be pretty chunky at this point, but the mixture should be completely combined.
- Smooth it all out. With the food processor running, slowly stream in some olive oil. Let the food processor run for a solid 2-3 minutes. Now comes the magic! Add ice water to the food processor, 1-2 tablespoons at a time. The pumpkin hummus will begin to smooth out before your eyes. Continue adding water until you reach your desired consistency.
- Serve! The best part!
What to Serve with Pumpkin Hummus Dip
Homemade pumpkin hummus will be a total snack table showstopper at any gathering or party this fall. Because it’s so festive, serving is half of the fun!
- Top with a swoosh of olive oil, extra spices (a sprinkle of cinnamon or cumin) or fresh herbs (such as rosemary or sage).
- Choose your favorite fresh fruit & veggies, for dipping (sliced apples & rainbow carrots are my faves).
- Or, serve with your favorite crackers, chips, or pita chips (dust ’em with a little cinnamon sugar to bring out sweetness).
To make it extra festive, I like to sprinkle pomegranate arils & pepitas over top & serve with a variety of root veggie chips. The extra pops of jewel-toned gorgeousness add so much wow factor, making this homemade pumpkin hummus perfect for holidays & special occasions this fall.
(You don’t even have to tell anyone how easy it was to make!)
I hope you give this Creamy Pumpkin Hummus recipe a try very soon – I know you’ll love it! If you do give it a try, be sure to let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @playswellwithbutter on Instagram. I LOVE hearing about & seeing your PWWB creations! Happy cooking! ♡
More Recipes Like This:
Easy Party Appetizers
This creamy, dreamy Pumpkin Hummus Recipe gets its majorly festive autumnal flare from tons of pumpkin & fall spices. You can serve it with sliced veggies, pita crackers, or jewel-toned root veggie chips make it feel extra special for the season – it’s perfect for healthy fall snacking, or to serve as an easy appetizer recipe for Thanksgiving, Friendsgiving, or any other fall gatherings!
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling!)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ⅓ cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup ice water
- for serving, as desired: extra olive oil, pomegranate arils, toasted pepitas, finely chopped fresh rosemary, sliced apples, sliced carrots, pita chips, root veggie chips
- Prepare the hummus: Add the chickpeas, pumpkin purée, and garlic to the bowl of a food processor, pulsing a few times to break everything up into small pieces. Add in the lemon juice, tahini, maple syrup, kosher salt, cumin, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper. Turn the processor on. With the food processor running, slowly stream in the olive oil, then allow the processor to run for good 2-3 minutes. The hummus will break down into a creamy mixture with some fine pieces, but it should definitely look like a chunkier hummus at this point! With the processor running, slowly add the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time. This is when the hummus will begin to really smooth out. Add more/less water until the desired texture is reached.
- Serve the pumpkin hummus in a bowl topped with an extra drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle of finely chopped fresh rosemary or pomegranate arils. Serve with pita chips, sliced apples, or root veggie chips. Enjoy!
- Storage: Pumpkin hummus will keep, stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, for up to 1 week. Make it ahead of time, or enjoy the leftovers later!
- Tahini: AKA sesame seed paste. You can find it in the nut butter or “ethnic” aisle in most conventional grocery stores. This is my fave!
Keywords: fall recipe, Thanksgiving recipe, no-cook, Friendsgiving recipe, vegetarian, vegan, pumpkin hummus, homemade hummus, hummus, football food, fall appetizer
Planning Your Thanksgiving Menu?
You’re in the right place! 🙌🏼 Here at PWWB, Thanksgiving is our absolute favorite holiday meal! Head over to our Thanksgiving Recipes archive for tons of incredible Thanksgiving dishes, ideas, & inspiration.
We also welcome you to sign up to join the PWWB email list – you’ll get immediate access to the PWWB Best of Thanksgiving Email Series! This brand new, completely free email series will walk you through everything you need to know as you begin to prep for your Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving celebrations this year, including…
- Turkey 101 – A fool-proof method for juicy & flavorful turkey, plus tons of turkey tips & tricks!
- The BEST Thanksgiving Side Dishes – Classic old favorites & creative new ideas to round out your Thanksgiving menu this year!
- The 3-Hour Thanksgiving Guide – The ultimate plan for hosting Thanksgiving without the stress! This FREE download is complete with a full menu, shopping list, detailed timeline, & of course delicious recipes.
- & NEW Thanksgiving Recipes – All of our newest Thanksgiving recipes & ideas delivered straight to your inbox, starting Monday, November 1st.
Let’s make this your BEST Thanksgiving yet!