The BEST Roasted Delicata Squash Recipe For Your Fall Table!
While butternut squash & pumpkin seem to get all the attention in the fall, delicata is one of my absolute favorite fall & winter ingredients. In my opinion, it’s the most underrated winter squash! If you’ve never had the chance to try it or you’re not quite sure how to roast delicata squash, this recipe is the perfect way to get started.
Delicata squash comes into season just in time for cozy fall dinners. I love it for its soft & delicate flesh, its subtly sweet flavor, & because it’s super easy to prepare. Since delicata squash skin is so tender, you don’t need to worry about peeling it – just slice it up & roast it as is! It’s so much easier & faster than peeling & seeding a whole pumpkin or butternut squash. Plus, when it’s roasted, the delicata squash skin gets super crispy, providing a nice textural contrast against its super tender flesh.
This particular recipe takes oven roasted delicata squash to the next level – roasted delicata 2.0, if you will. Instead of simply roasting the squash on its own, we top it with an easy panko coating made with parmesan, garlic, & fresh herbs to really elevate the humble roasted delicata squash without much added effort. This parmesan crusted roasted delicata squash is easy enough for any night of the week, but also special enough to serve alongside the most special fall dinners, like a dinner party, Friendsgiving, or Thanksgiving.
I really believe it’s the BEST roasted delicata squash recipe out there – & I’m pretty sure that once you try it, you’re going to agree!
Delicata squash is one of my absolute favorite fall & winter ingredients – I think it’s the most underrated winter squash!
Parmesan Crusted Roasted Delicata Squash Recipe Highlights
If you’re looking for a low-effort, high-reward savory delicata squash recipe, this is it. This parmesan crusted roasted delicata squash belongs on your fall dinner table because it is…
- SERIOUSLY SIMPLE. Delicata is one of the easiest winter squash to work with (no peeling necessary!) & a simple herb panko mixture takes it over the top without much added effort.
- PERFECTLY SAVORY-SWEET. The delicate sweetness of a delicata squash pairs perfectly with the herbaceous & savory parmesan-panko crust that takes this roasted delicata recipe to the next level.
- A GO-TO SIDE DISH. Oven roasted delicata squash pairs with any fall dinner, whether you need a quick & easy veggie for a cozy weeknight meal or a festive side dish for your Friendsgiving or Thanksgiving feasts.
Move over butternut & pumpkin – it’s time to fall in love with roasted delicata squash this winter! ♡ Read on to learn more about this Parmesan Crusted Roasted Delicata Squash, or jump straight to the recipe & get cookin’!
Parmesan Crusted Roasted Delicata Squash Key Ingredients:
Made with just a few simple ingredients, this easy side dish is packed with seasonal flavor that is savory, sweet & the perfect pairing for any fall-inspired meal!
What you’ll need…
- Delicata squash – It’s easy to find this scalloped green & white striped squash at your grocery store or farmer’s market this time of year. Delicata squash is naturally tender & has a subtly sweet flavor, making it the perfect pairing for savory fall flavors. Learn more about delicata squash below!
- Parmesan – Since it’s a key ingredient in this savory delicata squash recipe, I like to splurge for authentic Parmigiano Reggiano. Parmigiano Reggiano is a super special Italian cheese with a full flavor that cannot be imitated. It’s an umami bomb of salty, nutty, rich, & savory flavor, making it the perfect pairing for naturally sweet ingredients like squash. Look for pin dots on the rind to know you’ve found real-deal Parmigiano Reggiano!
- Panko breadcrumbs – Panko breadcrumbs are Japanese breadcrumbs known for their light, crisp texture. Coating the delicata squash in a parmesan-panko mixture creates an amazing textural contrast between the tender squash & the crispy crust.
- Aromatics – A combination of fresh garlic & hardy fresh herbs add a big punch of flavor to the parmesan-panko crust. You can use whatever fresh herbs you like most – I always opt for a combination of fresh rosemary, sage, & thyme.
Delicata Squash FAQs
- What is delicata squash? ⇢ In my opinion, Delicata is the most underrated winter squash! You can identify it by its signature dark green & white/light yellow striped pattern & oblong, scalloped shape. Inside, you’ll find a sweet, tender flesh that’s super easy to roast.
- How to prepare delicata squash for roasting? ⇢ There are just a few simple steps of prep required before making a delicious roasted delicata recipe. Prepare the delicata squash by trimming off its ends, cutting it in half lengthwise, & then scraping the seeds from its center using a spoon. From there, just slice each piece crosswise into 1/2 inch half-moons – perfect for roasting!
- Can you eat delicata squash skin? ⇢ Yes! You do not need to peel delicata squash because its skin is super tender & it takes on the most wonderful crispy texture when roasted. Roasted delicata squash has soft inside and tender but crispy outside from the amazing delicata squash skin – the perfect contrast!
Meal Prep Tip!
Delicata squash (like any winter squash) stores really, really well! To save time at dinnertime, trim, deseed & slice delicata squash up to 2 weeks in advance. Keep it stored in an airtight container in your fridge. When you’re ready for dinner you’ll have already done most of the work!
How to Roast Delicata Squash
The thing I love most about this parmesan crusted delicata squash is how easily it comes together. Once the squash & parmesan-panko crust are prepped, the oven does all of the work!
Full Recipe Directions, including step-by-step photos, are included in the Recipe Card, below.
Prepare the delicata squash. After you’ve cut & seeded the delicata squash, cut each half of the squash crosswise into ½-inch half-moons. Remember to leave the skin on! Transfer to a baking sheet & lightly season the squash with olive oil, salt, & ground black pepper. Roasted Delicata Tip! ⇢ Arranged the squash in an even layer across the baking sheet to promote even roasting & ensure the edges of the squash get nice & crisp.
Prep the parmesan-panko crust.We’re covering the sliced delicata squash with a flavorful & crispy panko breadcrumb topping – it’s super easy, but adds a ton of flavor & texture! In a small bowl, combine panko breadcrumbs, grated parmesan, chopped fresh herbs, garlic & a little olive oil. The mixture should be wet enough to press together, but still relatively crumbly. Sprinkle the mixture over the delicata, pressing it down so it adheres to the squash.
Roast the delicata squash.Roast delicata squash on the top rack of your oven. How long to roast delicata squash depends on your oven, but because delicata is so tender, it should roast up pretty quickly. This parmesan crusted roasted delicata squash should be done in about 20-25 minutes at 425 degrees F, once the squash is tender & the parmesan crust is golden brown.
Serving Parmesan Roasted Delicata Squash + Other Recipe Tips & Tricks
The parmesan crusted roasted delicata squash is ready to eat as soon as it comes out of the oven.
Serving Suggestion! ⇢ I like to finish it off with a sprinkling of chopped fresh herbs & freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano, then transfer to a large platter for serving. (Of course, after I eat a couple slices right off the pan! *wink!*) That’s it! The easiest side dish ever!
When to make this parmesan roasted delicata recipe?
- As the main attraction: I love chopping this parmesan crusted roasted delicata squash into bite sized pieces & tossing them into a simple salad. They’re kind of like a faux-crouton & they’re so good! Make a simple salad with olive oil & lemon juice, add them to your favorite Caesar for a fall-inspired twist, or try adding them to a Cozy Autumn Grain Bowl!
- As a side dish: With just 15 minutes of active prep required, this savory delicata squash is the best easy add-on for all of your favorite fall dinners. Looking for inspiration? Try this Harvest Chicken Sausage Sheet Pan, this Apple Cider Chicken, or this Cider Braised Pork Shoulder.
- With festive holiday dinners: Parmesan roasted delicata squash is also a cozy fall side dish ideal for occasions like Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving. Its natural sweetness & savory topping pair well with the other rich flavors of a traditional Thanksgiving spread.
You’ll love having this Parmesan Crusted Roasted Delicata Squash on your holiday table! If you do give it a try, be sure to let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @playswellwithbutter on Instagram. I LOVE hearing about & seeing your PWWB creations! ♡ Happy cooking!
More Recipes Like This:
Seasonal Side Dishes & Salads
Parmesan Crusted Roasted Delicata Squash
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: serves 6-8 1x
- Category: Side Dish Recipes, Thanksgiving Recipes
- Method: Roasted, Baked, Sheet Pan
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Diet: Vegetarian
Tender & subtly sweet delicata squash gets lightly coated in savory garlic, herb & parmesan panko breadcrumbs then roasted to crispy, golden brown perfection. It’s an easy-yet-elegant side dish perfect for serving alongside your favorite Fall meals or even as a Thanksgiving side dish. Naturally vegetarian!
- 2 large delicata squash (roughly 3 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh herbs, such as rosemary, sage, or thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- kosher salt & ground black pepper, to season
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit, ensuring an oven rack is positioned in the top third of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil for easy clean up. Set aside.
- Clean & slice the delicata squash. Trim the ends off the delicata squash, then slice the squash in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scrape its seeds out the center & discard or set aside for roasting. Slice the squash crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Season the squash with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt & ground black pepper as desired. Arrange the squash in an even layer across the baking sheet. Set aside.
- Prep the parmesan coating: Combine the panko breadcrumbs, parmesan, chopped fresh herbs, & garlic in a small bowl. Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over top & season with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt & ground black pepper. Mix to combine – the mixture should be relatively crumbly but wet enough to clump when pressed together. Sprinkle the parmesan coating over the seasoned delicata squash, pressing to adhere.
- Roast the delicata squash: Transfer the baking sheet to the oven. Roast 20-25 minutes, until the squash is tender & the parmesan crust is golden brown.
- Serve: Serve the parmesan crusted delicata squash alongside your favorite fall meals, topped with plenty of extra grated parmesan. Enjoy!
- Storage & Reheating: Leftovers will keep, stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave or oven until warmed through.
- 10-Minute Meal Prep Tips: Despite being an already simple recipe, a little meal prep goes a long way in pulling this easy side dish together for a dinner party or Thanksgiving day! Take care of prepping the squash & chopping the squash in advance – it takes 10 minutes, tops – & you can jump straight into coating & roasting the day of!
- Halve, deseed, & slice 2 large delicata squash into 1/2-inch pieces & finely chop your fresh herbs of choice. Transfer both separately to an airtight container & store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. (10 minutes active prep)
Keywords: delicata squash, winter squash recipes, easy, side dish, Thanksgiving side dish
Recipe by Jess Larson, Plays Well With Butter | Photography by Megan McKeehan
Planning Your Thanksgiving Menu?
You’re in the right place! 🙌🏼 Here at PWWB, Thanksgiving is our absolute favorite holiday meal! Head over to our Thanksgiving Recipes archive for tons of incredible Thanksgiving dishes, ideas, & inspiration.
We also welcome you to sign up to join the PWWB email list – you’ll get immediate access to the PWWB Best of Thanksgiving Email Series! This brand new, completely free email series will walk you through everything you need to know as you begin to prep for your Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving celebrations this year, including…
- Turkey 101 – A fool-proof method for juicy & flavorful turkey, plus tons of turkey tips & tricks!
- The BEST Thanksgiving Side Dishes – Classic old favorites & creative new ideas to round out your Thanksgiving menu this year!
- The 3-Hour Thanksgiving Guide – The ultimate plan for hosting Thanksgiving without the stress! This FREE download is complete with a full menu, shopping list, detailed timeline, & of course delicious recipes.
- & NEW Thanksgiving Recipes – All of our newest Thanksgiving recipes & ideas delivered straight to your inbox, starting Monday, November 1st.
Let’s make this your BEST Thanksgiving yet!
Follow along with Plays Well With Butter on Instagram, Facebook, & Pinterest for more easy, modern recipes & fun!
So as I was topping my sliced delicata squash rings with the parmesan panko topping, I thought to myself, “Yeah, there is no way this is going to work. I should have gone with a different recipe.” But I finished them up and threw them in the oven, expecting to be disappointed. Boy was I wrong! The topping crisped up beautifully and added so much flavor and texture to the squash. I was blown away by how fantastic this recipe turned out! I will absolutely be making this again a few more times while winter squash is in season. It was so easy to throw together, yet so delicious and quite impressive too!
Thanks so much Jennifer! We’re so glad the final recipe convinced you & that you enjoyed!! If you liked this recipe & you like Caesar salad you should try making this Autumn Caesar Salad. Sharing the link to the recipe on Instagram as it is not yet on the blog (soon!) but it uses a similar technique & delicata squash to make delicata squash “croutons” and it’s SO delicious! 🙂
Wow! This was so tasty. I’ve never tried this kind of squash, and I know I’ll be making it again! How best to reheat and keep the crust? Thank you!
Thanks so much Lori! We just recommend reheating in the microwave but you could always warm the crust in a frying pan or on a sheet pan in the oven for a little bit to crisp them up again. Let us know if you give it a try!
These were soooo easy and out of this world yummy! Can never go wrong with this recipe! I had never tried this squash before and it has become a holiday go to for family! Keep killin it, Jess!
Thank you Morgan!! So glad you loved this one too – it’s such a good fall & winter side dish recipe to have on hand!
Oh my gosh!!! Made this last night as a side for my pork chops and they stole the show. Even my daughter who “hates” delicate squash went back for seconds. Will be making this a lot more.