Tender & subtly sweet delicata squash gets lightly coated in savory garlic, herb & parmesan panko breadcrumbs then roasted to crispy, golden brown perfection. It’s an easy-yet-elegant side dish perfect for serving alongside your favorite Fall meals or even as a Thanksgiving side dish. Naturally vegetarian!
- 2 large delicata squash (roughly 3 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ⅓ cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh herbs, such as rosemary, sage, or thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- kosher salt & ground black pepper, to season
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit, ensuring an oven rack is positioned in the top third of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil for easy clean up. Set aside.
- Clean & slice the delicata squash. Trim the ends off the delicata squash, then slice the squash in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scrape its seeds out the center & discard or set aside for roasting. Slice the squash crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Season the squash with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt & ground black pepper as desired. Arrange the squash in an even layer across the baking sheet. Set aside.
- Prep the parmesan coating: Combine the panko breadcrumbs, parmesan, chopped fresh herbs, & garlic in a small bowl. Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over top & season with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt & ground black pepper. Mix to combine – the mixture should be relatively crumbly but wet enough to clump when pressed together. Sprinkle the parmesan coating over the seasoned delicata squash, pressing to adhere. [gallery columns="2" size="full" ids="23546,23548"]
- Roast the delicata squash: Transfer the baking sheet to the oven. Roast 20-25 minutes, until the squash is tender & the parmesan crust is golden brown.
- Serve: Serve the parmesan crusted delicata squash alongside your favorite fall meals, topped with plenty of extra grated parmesan. Enjoy!
- Storage & Reheating: Leftovers will keep, stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave or oven until warmed through.
- 10-Minute Meal Prep Tips: Despite being an already simple recipe, a little meal prep goes a long way in pulling this easy side dish together for a dinner party or Thanksgiving day! Take care of prepping the squash & chopping the squash in advance – it takes 10 minutes, tops – & you can jump straight into coating & roasting the day of!
- Halve, deseed, & slice 2 large delicata squash into 1/2-inch pieces & finely chop your fresh herbs of choice. Transfer both separately to an airtight container & store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. (10 minutes active prep)
Keywords: delicata squash, winter squash recipes, easy, side dish, Thanksgiving side dish