It happens every freaking year.
During the early weeks of September, the whole world inevitably goes crazy for all things pumpkin.
But for me? Pumpkin just doesn’t do it. I don’t know why, but it never really has. I tried my first pumpkin spice latte a few years ago & was SHOOK when I realized it was actually orange.
Seriously. Pumpkin just isn’t my jam.
Chai spice, on the other hand? Man oh man, do I LOVE anything chai spice.
The warming & cozy notes of chai spice are perfect for fall months as warm & muggy summery air gives way to cooler, crisp weather.
This chai spice mix is pretty much my BFF throughout the fall & winter. I figured it’s about time to share it here so you can obsess over it, too!
Homemade Chai Spice Recipe Highlights
You’ll fall in love with this homemade chai spice recipe because it’s…
- EASY. This simple spice blend is made with just 6 ingredients. To your favorite jar or spice container, add the spices (listed below) and shake it up to combine. It’ll keep on your spice rack for up to 1 year!
- FESTIVE. I love a spicy chai, and this chai spice mix is bold & full-flavored yet totally warm & cozy.
- VERSATILE. Use chai spice to add another layer of flavor to your baked goods or add a pinch to a cup of coffee for instant fall flair. It’s also a welcome addition to seasonal cocktails!
- A GREAT GIFT. Because it’s easiest to buy chai spices in bulk, I like to portion out chai spices into individual spice containers. I keep them on hand as seasonal hostess gifts & they’re also a great special little something for office or teacher gifts for anyone who loves to bake. For the ultimate cozy gift, pair a jar of homemade chai spice mix with cute mugs &/or spoons!
TGI-Chai Spice Season! ♡ Read on to learn more about this Homemade Chai Spice Mix, or jump straight to the recipe & get cookin’!
Ingredients in Chai Spice Mix
I created this chai spice recipe after trying what feels like just about every single chai spice mix recipe on the internet. As someone who loves super spicy & cardamom-forward chai flavors, many of the recipes I tried just fell a little flat for me. They used tons of cinnamon & tiny little pinches of the other chai spices – I could really only taste the cinnamon.
My chai spice mix is super simple to make & only calls for 6 ingredients:
To create the spicy & bold flavors that I expect when I taste something that is supposed to be chai flavored, I add generous amounts of both ginger & cardamom to this chai spice mix. If you love a spicier chai, this chai spice recipe is for you!
Homemade Chai Spice Mix Tips
- Buy spices online or in bulk to save $$$. The spices you need to make chai spice mix can be a little costly, especially if you rely on grocery store prices. Cardamom & allspice, especially, are really expensive when you buy them in the little jars from the grocery store spice aisle. I suggest ordering the spices online & buying them in bulk to get extra bang for your buck. You can make a big batch of chai spice – extras make wonderful gifts! I provide links for some great bulk spices in the Recipe Card, below.
- Store in airtight containers. Since we’re dealing with more expensive spices, you definitely want to make sure your chai spice stays fresh & flavorful for as long as possible. Storing it in a good airtight container is super important. I use these mason jars for my own spice rack. Weck jars are great too!
- Make it your own. I chose the 6 spices included in this chai spice recipe to keep it simple & easy to remember. For extra flavor, try adding ground black pepper & a split vanilla bean pod. Holy yum! More details included in the Recipe Notes, below.
How to Use Homemade Chai Spice Mix
The beauty of this easy chai spice mix (other than the fact that it smells SO freaking good) is that it’s really, really versatile. It’s perfect for autumn, football season, Thanksgiving pies & baked goods, and any other cozy occasion you can think of!
A few teaspoons of chai spice mix will take pretty much any cozy fall recipe up another cozy notch!
Try adding homemade chai spice mix to…
- COFFEE. Most easily, I like to make cozy chai coffee on any cool fall morning. Stir a few pinches of chai spice into your morning coffee or even sprinkle a bit into coffee grounds being brewed through a coffee filter. If you want something that feels like a super special treat, to your chai spice coffee, add a tablespoon of pure maple syrup, a splash of cream or milk, & a little pinch of kosher salt. OMG… chai spice heaven.
- BAKED GOODS. If you want to feel fancy, add some chai spice to your favorite baked goods, like these Chai Scones with Maple Chai Glaze.
- APPLE DESSERTS. Apples & chai spice pair really well together. Feel free to replace the spices in your favorite apple pie or apple dessert 1:1 with chai spice mix to add an extra kick of flavor. This time of year, I love Chai Spiced Apple Crisp.
- & PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING ELSE! Like, a sprinkle of chai spice mixed with brown sugar in oatmeal, a pinch onto buttery toast (chai spice/sugar toast!!), in cocktails, pancake mix, crumb cakes, and more!
FAQ: Can I Make Chai Tea with this Chai Spice Mix?
We actually recommend adding this homemade chai mix to baked goods recipes, similar to our Chai Scones. If you are hoping to make a true masala chai, you’d want to look for a recipe using whole spices as this mix would likely result in a gritty texture if added directly to a tea or milk mixture. We’d recommend checking out a chai mix from a brand like Tazo tea!
Cozy chai vibes on repeat. All. Season. Long. I cannot wait for you to try this Chai Spice Mix! If you do give it a try, be sure to let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @playswellwithbutter on Instagram. I LOVE hearing about & seeing your PWWB creations!
Obsessed with Chai Spice? Us too! Be sure to try this Homemade Chai Spice in our Chai Spiced Apple Crisp, Chai Scones with Maple Chai Glaze, or Dirty Chai Affogato (with Homemade Chai Ice Cream!) next. Happy cooking! ♡Print
A simple & easy 6-ingredient recipe for homemade chai spice mix with cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg, & allspice. Make a batch to keep on your spice rack for all of your chai spiced fall & holiday baking this year! It also make the perfect homemade gift!
- Buy spices online or in bulk to save money! The spices you need to make chai spice mix can be a little costly, especially if you rely on grocery store prices. Cardamom & allspice, especially, are really expensive when you buy them in the little jars from the grocery store spice aisle. I suggest ordering the spices online, &/or buying them in bulk to get extra bang for your buck. You can make a double or triple batch of chai spice – extras make wonderful hostess gifts! My favorite spices are linked above.
- Make it your own. I chose the 6 spices included in this chai spice recipe to keep it simple & easy to remember. A few things you could add in to add extra flavor, if you’re into that kinda thing, are ½ tablespoon of ground black pepper. A split vanilla bean pod is another fun way to add tons of flavor to this chai spice. Cut a whole vanilla bean pod down the middle, and submerge it into the chai spices. As it sits on your spice rack, the vanilla’s flavor will infuse itself into the chai spice. Yum!
Keywords: chai spice, chai spice mix, homemade chai, chai ingredients, spicy chai, fall baking, fall spices, holiday baking, diy chai