You know what blows my mind?! How the world goes from all things corn & tomatoes & end-of-summery goodness IMMEDIATELY to pumpkin spice- & butternut squash-a-palooza.
As though there is nothing that should happen in between!! You know, like fresh figs or grapes or apples or chai spice. It’s like BOOM: summer is over & now it’s Thanksgiving.
& I, for one, am so not cool with that!
Maybe I’m so impassioned about this phenomenon because I’m not a pumpkin spice person (I know! But that neon orange color just kinda scares me!) or because I love this time of year so much (I’ve only talked about this fact in every fall post I’ve ever written). But truly, I do not want to wish away this time of year by looking forward to the holidays (& pumpkin spice).
Apple Crisp with A Chai Spice Twist
Ok. Dramatic ranting over, but honestly, you gotta try this chai spiced apple crisp. It’s so, SO good.
This apple crisp dessert is one of those recipes I’ve had on my mind for the longest time. Apple crisp is my absolute favorite, favorite dessert. It’s the kind of dessert that reminds me of my childhood & my parents’ house. Every Sunday, my mom makes a dessert for the week. My dad goes totally crazy for anything served a la mode & a big pan of apple crisp is always in order this time of year.
Because I’m kind of obsessed with anything chai spiced, & because cardamom & apples pair so beautifully together, meet chai spiced apple crisp – a classic apple crisp dessert with chai flavors.
Welcome Fall with Chai Spiced Apple Crisp!
Let’s dive into the most autumn recipe (without pumpkin spice!) I could imagine: Chai Spiced Apple Crisp!
This apple crisp dessert is…
- ALL FALL. The season’s favorite flavors shine!
- CHAI SPICED. Each bite is laced with warm, cozy, & a little spicy homemade chai spice.
- SUPER CRUMBLY. My recipe has about 30% more crisp topping (the best part!) than other recipes I’ve tried.
- SIMPLE TO MAKE. It’s so easy to throw together – no pie crust to roll out or floury counters to clean.
- PERFECT FOR ENTERTAINING. A great make-ahead recipe, prepare dessert first this season. The flavors mingle more the longer this crisp rests after baking & your house will smell AMAZING! It also makes for a delicious Thanksgiving dessert (or fun fall breakfast)!
Each bite is deliciously cozy & full of fabulous fall flavor! ♡ Read on to learn more about this Chai Spiced Apple Crisp, or jump straight to the recipe & get baking!
Ingredients for Chai Spiced Apple Crisp
Highlighting the season’s best flavors, here’s what you need for this apple crisp dessert recipe:
- Apples: I love using granny smith apples in this apple crisp – the tart yet sweet flavor combination is perfection.
- Lemon: Freshly squeezed lemon juice adds brightness.
- Brown Sugar: A little brown sugar sweetens this crisp.
- Chai Spice: Can’t have chai spiced apple crisp without chai spice! I like to make my own chai spice mix as soon as the weather begins to cool & use it all fall & winter long.
- Oats: For best results, I recommend using old-fashioned oats. Their hearty texture helps this crisp stay together.
- Flour: A little whole wheat flour provides structure.
- Salt: For flavor.
- Butter: A must for any fruit crisp topping!
Chai Spiced Apple Crisp FAQs
What Are the Best Apples for Apple Crisp?
I love using tart granny smith apples in this apple crisp dessert, but use your favorites! Any firm, not-overly-sweet variety will work wonderfully.
Can I Make This Apple Crisp Recipe Gluten Free?
Yes! To make a gluten free apple crisp, use gluten free flour & certified gluten free oats.
What Spices Do I Need For Chai Spice Mix?
You’ll find a jar of homemade chai spice mix on my spice rack this time of year! It’s a simple, 6-ingredient DIY chai spice mix I created a few years back after many of the other recipes I tried fell a little flat for me (someone who loooves a super spicy & cardamom-forward chai).
You need: cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg, & allspice!
This is Crumbly Spiced Apple Crisp
This chai spiced apple crisp recipe is intentionally SUPER crumbly. The golden, buttery, & slightly crunchy nuggets of crisp topping are the best parts of apple crisp, right?! I find traditional apple crisp recipes leave a little bit to be desired when it comes to their apple:crisp ratio, so this chai spice apple crisp has about 30% MORE crisp than most.
What To Serve with Chai Spiced Apple Crisp
While delicious in a bowl with a spoon, this spiced apple crisp is begging for a topping! Try a dollop of homemade whipped cream, scoop of vanilla ice cream, drizzle of salted caramel sauce, or a simple sprinkle of cinnamon. No matter how you serve it, it’s seriously good!
I can’t wait for you to try this Chai Spiced Apple Crisp recipe. It’s a total fall fave at the PWWB house, & I know you’ll love it too! If you do give it a try, be sure to let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @playswellwithbutter on Instagram. I LOVE hearing about & seeing your PWWB creations!
Obsessed with Fall flavors? Us too! Try these Chai Scones with Maple Chai Glaze, Best-Ever Pumpkin Cheesecake with Gingersnap Crust, or these Savory & Extra Flaky Pumpkin Biscuits next. Happy baking! ♡Print
A classic apple crisp updated with the warm flavors of chai, this Chai Spiced Apple Crisp is loaded with chai flavor! Crisp granny smith apples tossed in a chai spice blend of cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, ginger & allspice & baked under a generous layer of homemade crisp. The perfect cozy Fall dessert to celebrate all things Autumn (especially served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream…).
- nonstick cooking spray
- chai spice blend (below)
- chai spice crumble topping (below)
- 3 pounds granny smith apples (approx. 8-10), peeled & cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chai spice blend (below)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
for the chai spice crumble topping:
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons chai spice blend (below)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup cold unsalted butter (12 tablespoons), diced
for the homemade chai spice blend:
- 1 heaping tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, ensuring a rack is positioned in the center of the oven. Lightly spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray & set aside. Mix the chai spice blend by combining all listed ingredients in a small bowl or jar. Stir to combine & set aside. Peel & slice apples according to the Ingredients List, above.
- Prepare the apple filling: In a large bowl, combine the sliced apples, lemon juice, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of the chai spice blend, vanilla, & kosher salt. Toss to combine, ensuring the apples are evenly coated with brown sugar & chai spice. Transfer apples to the prepared 9×13 baking pan, spreading them out into an even layer across the bottom. Set aside.
- Prepare the chai spice crumble: In a medium bowl, combine the old fashioned oats, flour, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of the chai spice blend, & kosher salt. Whisk to combine. Add in the cold, cubed butter. Cut the butter into the oat mixture – you can use a pastry cutter or fork, though I typically just use my hands to press the butter into the oats – until the mixture is super crumbly & begins to stick together when pressed gently. This takes a few minutes – have patience! Sprinkle the crumble overtop the apples, pressing down slightly to create a nice layer of crumbly topping over the apples.
- Bake the chai spiced apple crisp: Place the baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet. Transfer to the oven & bake for 45-50 minutes, until the apples are tender, the filling juices are bubbling around the edges, & the crisp is golden. Remove from the oven & allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Serving: Serve however you like it best – at our house, we enjoy it while it’s still warm, topped with a generous scoop of vanilla or salted caramel ice cream. Enjoy!
- Storage & Reheating: Cool any leftover chai apple crisp completely before covering & storing in the fridge. Leftover apple crisp will keep for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave as desired.
Keywords: apple crisp, chai spiced apple crisp, fall desserts, apple desserts, apple crisp dessert, chai spice,