Who knew homemade Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Soup could be so easy!? 10 simple ingredients, including roasted red peppers, crushed tomatoes, & almond milk create a beautiful velvety soup, without the use of any dairy. This cozy soup is completely vegetarian, dairy-free & vegan, & it takes less than 25 minutes to make! That’s what I call a total weeknight comfort food dream!
This post is sponsored by DeLallo Foods, who I’m so excited to partner & share with you all throughout 2019. All thoughts & opinions are my own.
The best time of year for my food lovin’ heart is finally in full swing: SOUP SEASON IS HERE!!! *insert major happy dance here*
Soup is one of my all-time favorite meals, especially as soon as I start to feel that bitter wintery chill in the air. If you ask me, soup might just actually be the best part about winter in Minnesota! The comfort factor is just unparalleled.
One of my all-time favorite soups is Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Soup. Perfectly silky & smooth, with just a kiss of subtle sweetness from blistery roasted red peppers. Somehow it tastes like warm summer days & cozy winter nights all at once, & I couldn’t love it more. Absolute comfort food perfection.
& if I’m being completely honest, roasted red pepper soup is one of those things that I’ve always just bought premade – yes, straight from the grocery store shelves – to keep on hand in our pantry as a good back-pocket lazy dinner.
Up until now, that is.
Earlier this fall, I set out to recreate my favorite store-bought creamy roasted red pepper soup. Ease, simplicity, & flavor were all key objectives in this homemade soup mission. It had to be the type of meal that feels just as simple to throw together as the convenient box-o-premade stuff, & it had to be just as flavorful.
The result? You guessed it. MAN, this stuff is good.
If you’re a lover of roasted red pepper soup, or just soup in general, you will LOVE this creamy roasted red pepper soup recipe. It is…
- SIMPLE. Made with 10-ish very simple ingredients, most of which you probably keep stocked in your pantry at all times.
- EASY. Aside from very minimal chopping, it’s a one-pot operation.
- WEEKNIGHT-FRIENDLY. Takes less than 25 minutes to prepare, start-to-finish. Homemade soup has never been so easy!
- & TOTALLY HEALTHY. Thickened with almond milk instead of heavy cream, this creamy roasted red pepper soup is a little lighter than some of the classic recipes out there, plus it’s totally dairy-free, gluten-free, & vegan.
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Soup ingredients:
Almost all of the ingredients you need to make this roasted red pepper soup are very simple pantry staples. You honestly probably have everything you need to make this recipe in your kitchen right now!
The cast of characters includes… (Note: the full Ingredients List, including measurements, is included in the Recipe Card, below.)
- soup season staples: onion, carrot & garlic
- a few other flavor-builders: tomato paste, white wine, basil, & thyme
- plus veggie broth & almond milk, to make it super creamy & silky.
- & roasted red peppers & crushed tomatoes, from DeLallo, of course!
DeLallo, who I’ve been gushing about all year long, has become my go-to for many of my pantry staples. Their team takes such care in creating high-quality products, which is something I appreciate so much, especially when it comes to the ingredients I turn to on the reg, like olive oil or some of my favorite jarred goods.
& both DeLallo’s crushed tomatoes & roasted red peppers are no exception! The tomatoes are San Marzano-style Italian tomatoes, picked at the peak of their season for the best flavor. They create the perfect rich base of flavor for this soup. Similarly, the red peppers are slow-roasted for the best smoky-sweet flavor. They’re the star of this roasted red pepper soup recipe, & they’re majorly PWWB approved!
How to make Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Soup
As I mentioned, it was really important to me that this creamy roasted red pepper soup recipe be the kind of recipe that’s super simple to throw together any night of the week. Other than some quick chopping, it’s pretty much a one-pot operation. Seriously easy.
Here’s the quick run-down… (Note: the full Recipe Directions are provided in the Recipe Card, below.)
- Cook the aromatics to create the base of flavor for the soup. Add some olive oil, onion, & carrot to your favorite soup pot & cook until softened. Add in some garlic & tomato paste, cooking just a little bit longer until fragrant.
- Build the soup by adding in the star ingredients: roasted red pepper, crushed tomato, & veggie stock. I like to add in a little fresh basil, thyme & white wine for extra flavor. You can use dried herbs if you prefer! Simmer, then…
- Blend the soup! Transfer the soup to a blender & blend until totally smooth & creamy. You can also use an immersion blender to blend right in the pot.
- Finish & serve: Return the blended soup to the soup pot, then stir in some of your favorite plant milk (almond for me, please!). Bring it to a simmer to warm through, & it’s ready to serve! How easy was that?!
Serving Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Soup
Aside from serving it on its own (pictured here, & delish!), here are a few ideas for beefing up this creamy roasted red pepper soup into a full-fledged meal:
- garlicky croutons: toss some cubed bread into a pan with a little olive oil, salt & garlic powder, & let it toast up to crispy golden-brown perfection. So simple, so yum.
- grilled cheese dunkers: need I say more? It’s like grown-up tomato soup + grilled cheese. If keeping your meal totally dairy-free/vegan is a priority for you, simply use your favorite dairy-free/vegan cheese substitutes.
- or, add some shredded chicken: I LOVE stirring some shredded chicken into a bowl of roasted red pepper soup. It’s obviously not a vegetarian/vegan option, but it’s really satisfying. Rotisserie, or whatever’s leftover in your fridge, works perfectly!
Or, maybe just with a dunk or two of your fave crusty bread. Or maybe, like, 4 or 5 or 10 dunks. No one’s judging here!
I hope you give this Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Soup recipe a try very soon – it’s healthy, cozy, comfort food goodness! If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment & star rating below! I also LOVE seeing your pwwb creations over on Instagram, so be sure to snap a photo and tag @playswellwithbutter! Happy Soup Season, friends!
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Soup, perfect for a cozy & healthy weeknight dinner! This soup is made with 10 simple ingredients, including roasted red peppers, crushed tomatoes, & almond milk – a creamy soup recipe without any dairy! Vegetarian, Vegan, & Dairy-Free.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (DeLallo’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil is my favorite)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- optional: 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked from the stem
- 1 14-ounce jar DeLallo Roasted Red Peppers, drained
- 14 ounces DeLallo Crushed Italian Tomatoes (use half of the 28-ounce can)
- 2 cups vegetable stock or broth
- optional: 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or other mild plant milk of choice)
- for serving, as desired: fresh basil, cracked black pepper, crusty bread
- Cook the aromatics: Add the olive oil to a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and carrot. Season with the kosher salt, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the carrot softens & the onion becomes translucent, 4-5 minutes. Add in the garlic, tomato paste, & crushed red pepper (if using). Stir to combine, and cook until the tomato paste melts down & the garlic is fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Build the soup: Add the basil, thyme, roasted red bell peppers, tomatoes, vegetable broth, & wine (if using) to the pot, stirring to combine. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Blend: Carefully transfer the soup to a blender. Blend until smooth & creamy. Carefully transfer the soup back to the pot. (Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender & blend right in the pot.)
- Finish the soup: Pour the almond milk into the soup. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring ocassionally, until the soup is warmed through.
- Serve immediately, topped with lots of fresh cracked pepper & some fresh basil, as desired. A piece of crusty bread never hurts, either. Enjoy!
- Milk options: In testing this recipe, I found that unsweetened almond milk was my favorite milk to use in this creamy roasted red pepper soup. If you’d like to use another dairy-free milk, make sure it’s mild in flavor & unsweetened (e.g. I’d avoid coconut milk, for example, since it’s naturally sweet & has strong flavor). If keeping this soup dairy-free or vegan is not a concern, you can also use regular ol’ cow milk, or even some half & half or cream for great creamy texture.
- Storage: Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Soup will keep, stored in an airtight container, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. You can also freeze for up to 3 months in any freezer-safe container. As a reminder, allow the soup to cool before transferring to a storage container or the freezer.
- 10-Minute Meal Prep: The only prep work involved with this creamy roasted red pepper soup recipe is dicing the onion & carrot. Take care of that on Sunday, or whenever you have time in the week, & at dinnertime all you have to do is fire up the stove & start cooking the soup. Easy!
Keywords: Vegetarian, Vegan, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Healthy, Easy Soup Recipe, Healthy Soup Recipe
More cozy soup recipes to love…
I’m not kidding about my love for soup season – I do not mess around when it comes to soup! Here are a few more reader faves:
- Also vegetarian, dairy-free & vegan: Secret-Ingredient Creamy Mushroom Wild Rice Soup
- Another weeknight wonder: Healthy Weeknight Chicken Tortilla Soup
- My personal fave: the BEST Hearty Minestrone Soup
- Perfect for dunking: Italian Herb No-Knead Bread
- Plus: all PWWB Soup, Stew & Chili recipes
Thank you so much for reading & supporting Plays Well With Butter & the companies I partner with to keep bringing you great original content. I only feature brands & products I truly love & use on the reg in my own home. All opinions are always my own!