Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Soup, perfect for a cozy & healthy weeknight dinner! This soup is made with 10 simple ingredients, including roasted red peppers, crushed tomatoes, & almond milk – a creamy soup recipe without any dairy! Vegetarian, Vegan, & Dairy-Free.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (DeLallo’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil is my favorite)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- optional: 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked from the stem
- 1 14-ounce jar DeLallo Roasted Red Peppers, drained
- 14 ounces DeLallo Crushed Italian Tomatoes (use half of the 28-ounce can)
- 2 cups vegetable stock or broth
- optional: 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or other mild plant milk of choice)
- for serving, as desired: fresh basil, cracked black pepper, crusty bread
- Cook the aromatics: Add the olive oil to a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and carrot. Season with the kosher salt, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the carrot softens & the onion becomes translucent, 4-5 minutes. Add in the garlic, tomato paste, & crushed red pepper (if using). Stir to combine, and cook until the tomato paste melts down & the garlic is fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Build the soup: Add the basil, thyme, roasted red bell peppers, tomatoes, vegetable broth, & wine (if using) to the pot, stirring to combine. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Blend: Carefully transfer the soup to a blender. Blend until smooth & creamy. Carefully transfer the soup back to the pot. (Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender & blend right in the pot.)
- Finish the soup: Pour the almond milk into the soup. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring ocassionally, until the soup is warmed through.
- Serve immediately, topped with lots of fresh cracked pepper & some fresh basil, as desired. A piece of crusty bread never hurts, either. Enjoy!
- Milk options: In testing this recipe, I found that unsweetened almond milk was my favorite milk to use in this creamy roasted red pepper soup. If you’d like to use another dairy-free milk, make sure it’s mild in flavor & unsweetened (e.g. I’d avoid coconut milk, for example, since it’s naturally sweet & has strong flavor). If keeping this soup dairy-free or vegan is not a concern, you can also use regular ol’ cow milk, or even some half & half or cream for great creamy texture.
- Storage: Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Soup will keep, stored in an airtight container, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. You can also freeze for up to 3 months in any freezer-safe container. As a reminder, allow the soup to cool before transferring to a storage container or the freezer.
- 10-Minute Meal Prep: The only prep work involved with this creamy roasted red pepper soup recipe is dicing the onion & carrot. Take care of that on Sunday, or whenever you have time in the week, & at dinnertime all you have to do is fire up the stove & start cooking the soup. Easy!
Keywords: Vegetarian, Vegan, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Healthy, Easy Soup Recipe, Healthy Soup Recipe