a fresh, fast, & light summertime grated zucchini salad! this easy salad has simple summer ingredients like shredded zucchini, tomatoes, castelvetrano olives, & tangy feta cheese. great for an easy weeknight dinner or side dish, or perfect for feeding a crowd at summer parties & BBQs! vegetarian, naturally gluten-free, low-carb, raw, totally healthy & fresh!
this post may contain affiliate links for products i use on the reg & completely love. should you buy a product using one of these links, pwwb will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. thank you, as always, for supporting plays well with butter! ?
whoooooo is ready for some fast, easy, light, full-of-fresh-flavor summertime goodness?!?
*raises both hands!!!*
i probably sound like a broken record at this point, but all i want these days is light, easy, & super seasonal food.
i mean, other than the time last week when i ate nearly an entire pan of peanut butter brownies in a little under 2 days.
&, i mean, other than the OTHER time last week when i made coconut cilantro lime rice & proceeded to shovel it into my mouth, standing at the stovetop, with tortilla chips.
AS THOUGH IT WAS SALSA.
i wish i was joking.
(in my defense it was brown rice. that makes it healthy, right? ???)
aside from the brownies, & the coconut cilantro lime rice (& the tortilla chips ?), & mayyyybe the occasional scoop of nicollet pothole from sebastian joe’s (???) this grated zucchini salad is all i am craving these days.
lemony grated zucchini salad with tomatoes, olives & feta
i am SO excited to share this grated zucchini salad recipe with you today!!! if you follow along on instagram, you already know that this grated zucchini salad is my summer obsession. it’s literally one of the best things i have ever eaten.
here’s the rundown:
- grated or shredded zucchini.
- cherry tomatoes.
- castelvetrano olives.
- fresh dill.
- lemon juice.
- extra virgin olive oil.
i love using zucchini as the base of this salad. when you grate or shred it up, it somehow becomes crunchy & tender all at the same time. seriously perfection!
the only thing to do next was obviously pile on all of my other favorite flavors: juicy cherry tomatoes (summer’s little superstars!), castelvetrano olives (aka the queen of all of the olives – meaty & briny without being too salty. so, so good!), feta (obviously), some fresh dill (which is normally my nemesis – i actually hate it – but it somehow works here!) & a squeeze of fresh lemon & a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
all of the flavors come together to make the perfect bite. the zucchini soaks up all of the lemon juice and olive oil, and acts as the perfect vessel for the tomatoes, feta, & olives. & between the bright lemony flavor, the pops of sweetness from the tomatoes, & tang from the feta & olives, every single bite is just so loaded with flavor. i mean, i can’t even.
plus! it this grated zucchini salad kind of goes with everything! we’ve been eating as a side dish at dinnertime with grilled chicken, kebabs, & burgers, but it is also great to meal prepped for a week of light, fast lunches. you could also bring it with you to a summer BBQ or potluck! it’ll seriously be the star of the show.
& the only thing that miiiight be better than how perfect this grated zucchini salad tastes, is how seriously easy it is to throw together.
how to make grated zucchini salad:
i’m obsessed with how easy it is to make this grated zucchini salad!
the first time i ever made it was on a sunday night when we got home from a long weekend at my parents’ house, which is typically when we always just opt to just grab a pizza instead of cooking at home.
& the next time i made it? at lunchtime during the week, which is totally unheard of since beyond reheating some leftovers, i usually don’t cook for myself during the day.
so easy to make!
here’s how you do it:
grate or shred the zucchini. i run the zucchini through the shredding blade on my food processor & it takes a matter of seconds to shred it all up. this is the food processor i use & love – seriously the best! if you don’t have a food processor, you could also simply run the zucchini down the sides of a box grater. just make sure that you’re using the wider grates to get thicker pieces of zucchini, which hold up to a salad like this much better than finer shredded zucchini (like the kind you’d use in zucchini bread).
pile on the goodness. add the zucchini to a large bowl (no squeezing needed!) & top it with all of the other ingredients: tomatoes, olives, feta, & dill. squeeze in some fresh lemon juice, & drizzle in some olive oil. this is the olive oil i use & love – the best quality for the price!
toss it all together. toss, toss, toss, then…
devour. that’s it! easy to make, & even easier to eat.
hello, 7-ingredient summertime salad lover! ???
if you love this grated zucchini salad recipe, here are some other fresh recipes you’ll be obsessed with!
- mom’s summer salad
- summer glow bowls
- aglio olio zoodles with shrimp
- 6-ingredient sun dried tomato pasta salad
- proscuitto-wrapped cantaloupe with balsamic glaze
- 50 recipes for summer parties
fresh, fast, & light grated raw zucchini salad recipe with feta! this easy salad has simple summer ingredients like shredded zucchini, tomatoes, castelvetrano olives, & tangy feta cheese. great for an easy weeknight dinner or side dish, or perfect for feeding a crowd at summer parties & BBQs! vegetarian, naturally gluten-free, low-carb, raw, totally healthy & fresh!
- 2 medium zucchini, grated or shredded (see Recipe Notes)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 6-ounce jar castelvetrano olives, drained & halved
- 6 ounces feta, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, torn or roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt & ground black pepper
Add the zucchini to a large bowl. Top with the tomatoes, olives, feta, and dill. Season with a few pinches Kosher salt and ground black pepper – about ¼ teaspoon each. Squeeze in the lemon juice and drizzle the olive oil over top. Gently toss to combine, then taste and season with additional salt as desired. Transfer the salad to a serving dish or platter as desired. Enjoy!
- Serving: Grated zucchini salad makes for a great side dish to serve with any meal, or to bring with you to a potluck or BBQ this summer. You can also meal prep it at the beginning of the week for a week’s worth of easy lunches, which is exactly what I do! Store the salad in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. The salad may get some extra liquid in the bottom of the bowl as it sits – just drain it off before you serve it.
- Shredding zucchini: I use the shredding blade on my food processor to shred zucchini really easily & quickly. This is the food processor I use, & i’m obsessed with it – it gets used on a near daily basis in my house. If you do not have a food processor, you could also use a box grater! Use the wider grates to cut larger pieces of zucchini – they’ll hold up a little better in this salad than finely grated zucchini.
- Castelvetrano olives are my absolute favorite olive! They are meaty, & briny without being too salty. You should be able to find them in most grocery stores, especially if your store has an olive bar. Or! You could just do yourself a favor & order a jar here like the tech-savvy superstar you are.