Chances are, if you’ve been around here for a while, you know that one of my favorite places in the entire world to spend a Saturday morning is the farmers market.
Specifically, the Madison farmers market, which wraps all the way around capitol square in the dead center of Madison, Wisconsin. There are tons of vendors selling the most beautiful produce at the peak of its season, stunning floral arrangements, & artisan-crafted specialty goods like honey, jams, hot sauces, & so on. But the greatest part of the Madison farmers market awaits you as you turn the corner at State Street: Stella’s hot spicy cheese bread.
Stella’s hot spicy cheese bread is what dreams are made of. The pillowy loaves are soft, cheesy, &, if you’re lucky, still warm in the middle from being baked that morning. We’d always buy a loaf to take back home with us, but it never lasted that long; we’d tear chunks off the loaf of cheese bread bite by bite until it disappeared.
Our trips to Madison have since grown few & far between, & sadly so has the opportunity to devour inappropriate amounts of warm cheesy bread on a bright Saturday morning. So, it was time to create my own recipe for the hot spicy cheese bread we love so much & give it a permanent spot on PWWB.
This no-knead spicy cheese bread is seriously a cheese lover’s dream!
The EASIEST Spicy Cheese Bread Recipe Highlights
You guys, this no-knead spicy cheese bread – it’s SO good. I don’t even know where to begin. You’ll love this No-Knead Spicy Cheese Bread because it’s…
- QUICK & SIMPLE. First there’s the fact that it takes only 10 minutes & 5 ingredients to throw together. Plus, all you need are some pantry staples (you know flour, yeast, salt – typical bread stuff) & Tillamook’s Special Reserve Extra Sharp Cheddar (more on that in a sec!).
- FULL OF CRAVEABLE TEXTURE. This no-knead spicy cheese bread’s texture is insanely good. Unlike Stella’s bread, which is pillowy & soft, I wanted this bread to have a crusty exterior & good chew. It’s truly perfection.
- DELICIOUSLY CHEESY. There is no question that this is extra cheesy cheese bread! You’ll find pockets of molten, melty, delicious cheese oozing out of every piece.
This no-knead spicy cheese bread is great for football parties, with soup & chili, your Thanksgiving menu (who needs rolls anyway?!), or even just as a fun snack – it’s that easy to make.
It’s absolute spicy cheese bread heaven! ♡ Read on to learn more about this No-Knead Spicy Cheese Bread, or jump straight to the recipe & get baking!
How Spicy Is This Spicy Cheese Bread?
This no-knead spicy cheese bread is spicy – definitely spicy enough to let you know that the crushed red pepper flakes are there, but not so spicy that it’s overwhelming. As the dough rests, the red pepper flakes infuse their flavor (& spice) into the dough so each bite is super cheesy and a little bit spicy. Feel free to customize it to your taste preferences!
- For less spicy bread, use 1 teaspoon total of crushed red pepper flakes (1/2 teaspoon in the dough & 1/2 teaspoon on top).
- For even spicier bread, use 1-2 teaspoons of crushed red pepper flakes in the dough & 1 teaspoon on top.
Not into spice at all? Skip the crushed red pepper flakes completely for a loaf of no-knead cheese bread!
How to Make No Knead Spicy Cheese Bread
Even if you’ve never made homemade bread before, you can throw together this spicy cheese bread like a pro! It’s a wonderful bread recipe for beginners – you literally cannot mess it up. Promise!
No knead bread takes a little bit of planning ahead. You’ll need about 13 hours from start to finish BUT only about 10-20 minutes of that time is active, hands-on time.
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Prep the dough: Prep your dough about 12 hours before you’d like to bake your no-knead spicy cheese bread. This gives the dough a chance to rise! It takes a little bit of planning, but when it comes to making the dough, it’s really just a one-bowl, 10 minute task. If you’re serving the bread with dinner you could even quickly prep the dough in the morning before you head to work. Once the dough is prepped, keep it in the bowl, cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rest.
- Preheat the dutch oven: The secret to achieving the perfect crusty texture of this no-knead spicy cheese bread lies in a roaring hot dutch oven. Once the dough has risen, & about 30 minutes before you want to bake your bread, pop your dutch oven into your oven while it preheats. This gives the dutch oven time to heat thoroughly & evenly, & creates the most gorgeous crust while the bread bakes inside the pan.
- An egg wash: Just before you transfer the spicy cheese bread dough to the heated dutch oven to bake, finish it with an egg wash. This creates a beautiful glossy finish, similar to Stella’s *insert heart eyes here*.
No-Knead Bread FAQs
Does No-Knead Bread Rise?
Yes! No-knead bread will rise because there is yeast in the dough. While we aren’t kneading this dough like traditional yeast breads, the dough will rise, slowly (12+ hour rise time), as the yeast forms gluten and essentially kneads the bread for us.
What Pan Do I Use for No-Knead Bread?
The key to making crusty bread at home = a Dutch oven! Use an oven-safe dutch oven (at least 4-quart) with a lid.
It goes without saying no-knead spicy cheese bread is about to be your new favorite food. If you do give it a try, be sure to let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @playswellwithbutter on Instagram. I LOVE hearing about & seeing your PWWB creations!Print
A foolproof recipe for making No-Knead Spicy Cheese Bread at home in a dutch oven like a pro! No-Knead Spicy Cheese Bread is ridiculously easy to make (only 10 minutes of prep & 5 ingredients needed!), & it’s especially ridiculously easy to eat. Great with soup, chili, to serve at a tailgate party, or just as a snack!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, divided
- 8 ounces Extra Sharp Cheddar, diced into ½-inch cubes
- 1 ½ cups lukewarm water
- 1 large egg yolk
- Make the no-knead spicy cheese bread dough: About 12 hours before you’d like to bake your no-knead spicy cheese bread, make the dough. In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, yeast, & 1 teaspoon of the crushed red pepper flakes. Whisk to combine. Add in the diced cheese, gently tossing the cheese to coat it in the flour mixture. This helps prevent the cheese from sinking to the bottom of the dough. Slowly & gradually pour in the lukewarm water, mixing the dough with a wooden spoon until just combined. The dough will look shaggy & will be very sticky at this point – & that’s totally fine! Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel & let rest in a warm, dry place for 12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit about 30 minutes before you are ready to bake the no-knead spicy cheese bread. Make sure one of the oven’s racks is positioned in the middle of the oven, & place an oven-safe dutch oven (at least 4-quart) on the rack, with its lid on, to heat along with the oven while it preheats. Once the oven is preheated, let the dutch oven sit in the hot oven for 20 minutes longer to really make sure it’s up to temperature – I literally set a cook timer for 20 minutes once the oven is preheated.
- Prep the dough: Meanwhile, as the oven preheats, transfer the no-knead spicy cheese bread dough to a large piece of parchment paper. I like to quickly spritz my hands with nonstick cooking spray – it makes it so much easier to handle the dough without it sticking to your hands! Using a pastry brush, brush the surface of the dough with the egg yolk, then sprinkle on the remaining 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes.
- Bake the no-knead spicy cheese bread: Once the dutch oven is up to temperature, very carefully remove it from the oven. Quickly & carefully remove the lid of the dutch oven, place the no-knead spicy cheese bread dough inside (you can just drop the parchment paper right in!), put the lid back on the dutch oven, & place the dutch oven back into the oven. Bake for 30 minutes, then remove the lid from the dutch oven & bake, uncovered, for an additional 20 minutes, or until the dough is crusty & golden brown (see photos above for reference).
- To serve, carefully remove the bread from the dutch oven. You can just lift the parchment paper right out of the dutch oven. Allow to cool slightly before slicing or tearing the bread – remember it’s got molten-hot pools of melty cheese! Devour! Enjoy!!!
- This no-knead spicy cheese bread is spicy – definitely spicy enough to let you know that the crushed red pepper flakes are there, but not so spicy that it’s overwhelming. If you have an aversion to spicy foods, you can simply scale back or omit the crushed red pepper flakes.
- I have been making no-knead bread for several years, after first coming across the technique here. I have made it my own over time, but this method is literally foolproof!
Keywords: no-knead bread, dutch oven bread, cheese bread