THIS POST IS SPONSORED BY
Good Foods, with whom I am so excited to celebrate Game Day this winter! I’m a long-time fan of their delicious dips & dressings, like the plant-based Buffalo Dip used in these easy crunchwraps. All thoughts & opinions are my own.
Navigate This Post
Homemade Crunch Wraps are the Game Day Snack from Texture Heaven!
Our love of buffalo-everything is no secret. With everything from Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Sliders to Hearty Buffalo Chicken Bowls to the Best-Ever Buffalo Chicken Wings, it’s safe to say that PWWB’s collection of buffalo-inspired recipes is EPIC. 🔥 This one just might be my favorite yet, though, since it marries tangy buffalo flavors with the late-night fast-food icon. Introducing, Buffalo Chicken Crunchwraps!
If you’ve never tried it before, making homemade crunchwraps is seriously fun & super simple! The base of this crunchwrap recipe is shredded chicken tossed in Good Foods Plant Based Buffalo Dip, which I love for its ease, epic flavor, & feel-good ingredients list. Fold the buffalo chicken into a flour tortilla layered with a crunchy tostada, lettuce, tomato, cheese, then toast until crunchy & golden brown.
The fun thing about making a homemade crunchwrap recipe is that you can tailor it to your tastes & cravings. Feel free to layer in guacamole, queso, or salsa (Good Foods has an amazing lineup of options!) or pile them on as toppings. Have fun with it – no matter what, these crunchwraps are great for a quick, craveable dinner or a game day snack spread. (The crowd will go wild, guaranteed! 😉).
Buffalo Chicken Crunchwrap Recipe Highlights
There’s so much to love about a buffalo chicken crunchwrap! It’s…
TOTALLY CRAVEABLE. This crunchwrap recipe introduces classic buffalo chicken to everyone’s fave late-night fast-food order. It’s a tangy-spicy-crunchy match made in heaven!
LOADED WITH TEXTURE. Layers of tender & tangy buffalo chicken, shredded lettuce, juicy tomatoes, melty cheese, & creamy dressing fill every bite of these wraps with crispy, zesty goodness. Don’t forget that crunchy tostada in the middle!
WEEKNIGHT-FRIENDLY & GAME DAY READY. Homemade crunch wraps are easy enough to make any night of the week, & we honestly can’t imagine a better game day snack than serving buffalo chicken crunchwraps alongside a big spread of dips & dressings. No matter the occasion, everyone loves them!
Absolutely supreme! 😋 ♡ Read on to learn more about how to make Buffalo Chicken Crunchwraps, or jump straight to the recipe & get cooking!
What is a Crunchwrap?
Ever since Taco Bell introduced the world to crunchwrap supremes in the early 2000s, late-night snacking has never been the same. 🌮 The crunch wrap’s signature technique folds a number of fillings into a flour tortilla with a crunchy tostada shell in the middle. The tostada creates a satisfyingly crispy bite in the center of creamy & tender fillings. The result is absolutely delicious & responsible for countless late-night cravings ever since!
While seasoned ground beef, nacho cheese, & sour cream are popular crunchwrap fillings at the drive-thru window, you can make homemade crunch wraps using all kinds of fillings & flavors. Use this recipe as a base for whatever crunchwrap combo you love most – though I highly suggest trying a buffalo chicken wrap first. 😋
You only need a few simple ingredients to make homemade crunchwraps – many of them are probably already in your kitchen!
Note: Full ingredients list & measurements provided in the Recipe Card, below.
- Shredded chicken – I’ve walked you through my go-to method for cooking & shredding chicken breasts below, but this crunchwrap recipe is a great way to use up leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken too.
- Good Foods Plant Based Buffalo Dip – I LOVE this cauliflower-based almond veggie dip! It has all the classic, tangy flavor you expect from buffalo sauce PLUS a sneaky dose of veggies, & unbeatable convenience. Simply pop open the dip & toss it with the shredded chicken – easy! Find Good Foods at a store near you.
- Flour tortillas – Soft flour tortillas give crunchwraps a pliable, golden-brown outer layer. Be sure to look for “large” or “extra-large” flour tortillas so you’re able to stuff your crunch wraps with a generous amount of fillings!
- Tostada shells – Layered in the middle of the wrap to create the signature crunch. If you don’t have tostadas on hand, you can swap them out with a layer of tortilla chips.
- Ranch dressing – Just a drizzle adds extra-delicious creaminess. Feel free to use bleu cheese if that’s your preferred pairing for buffalo-anything.
- Melty cheese – Mild colby jack or spicy pepper jack are my top picks here. They melt beautifully as you toast the buffalo chicken crunchwraps. Mozzarella, cheddar, & blue cheese crumbles are also fantastic options.
- A bit of freshness – I love layering crispy romaine lettuce, juicy tomato, & punchy green onions into buffalo chicken crunchwraps for a little bit of freshness to balance the heat!
Easy Crunch Wrap Variations
Make it your own! As much as we love buffalo chicken, this crunch wrap recipe is so easy & flexible that you can fill it with pretty much any other ingredients you love. Add in your favorite hot sauce, create layers of Good Foods Avocado Salsa or Good Foods Chunky Guacamole, or finish your wraps with a drizzle of Good Foods Plant Based Queso. You can even swap chicken for plant-based crumbles or roasted cauliflower instead to make vegetarian or vegan crunchwraps. The options are endless! Homemade crunchwraps are all about playing with tons of textures of flavors, so you seriously can’t go wrong.
How to Make a Homemade Crunchwrap
This crunchwrap recipe is a major crowd-pleaser but it’s seriously so, so simple to make! You can assemble, cook, & serve a spread of irresistible wraps in less than 1 hour, start-to-finish.
Full Recipe Directions, including step-by-step photos, are included in the Recipe Card, below.
Prepare the chicken. For seriously juicy & tender results, sear boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a skillet on the stovetop, then finish them in the oven. From there, simply shred & toss with a whole container of Good Foods Plant Based Buffalo Dip. Tip! ⇢ If you have leftover grilled or rotisserie chicken, feel free to skip right over the chicken prep & toss it right into the dip – easy!
Assemble the buffalo chicken crunchwraps. Lay a whole flour tortilla on your work surface. Spread some buffalo chicken & a drizzle of bleu cheese or ranch in the center of the tortilla, then place a tostada shell on top. Why? ⇢ The tostada provides signature crunchiness & stability for an extra-loaded wrap. Finish by layering in your favorite crunchwrap fillings. We love lettuce, tomato, green onion, & shredded cheese.
Fold & toast. Once the layers are complete, cut a flour tortilla into quarters & place one on top of the filling. Why? ⇢ Since the crunchwraps are pretty stuffed, this extra layer helps ensure all the delicious fillings stay put! Carefully fold the edges of the large tortilla, creating pleats to enclose all the fillings, then toast the wraps in a nonstick skillet until each side is golden brown, crispy perfection.
Alternate Cooking Method
Baked Crunchwraps for a Crowd!
While I’m partial to the golden brown toastiness achieved by slowly pan frying these crunch wraps in a large skillet on the stovetop, you can also bake crunchwraps on a sheet pan – an especially helpful shortcut if you’re serving a hungry crowd!
Easy baked crunch wraps. ⇢ Preheat a sheet pan in a 425-degree F oven. Once all the crunchwraps are assembled, remove the sheet pan from the oven, brush it with a light coating of oil, & carefully invert the wraps on the sheet pan such that the folded side is facing down. Brush the top of each wrap with a little more oil, then transfer to the oven & bake 6-8 minutes per side, until nice & golden.
Due to the longer cook time, the lettuce might lose some of its texture, but no one will even notice when you set a platter of toasty crunchwraps down in front of them. 😉
Buffalo Chicken Crunchwraps Serving Suggestions – Don’t Forget the Dips!
Handheld snacks always call for dipping! I love serving buffalo chicken crunch wraps alongside a big spread of dips so everyone can have fun piling their wraps high with different flavors & textures.
I always turn to Good Foods since their delicious dips & spreads are always fresh, flavorful, & convenient. (As far as I’m concerned, spending less time prepping & more time snacking is the biggest game day win! 😉) Try dipping your buffalo chicken crunchwraps in…
- Guacamole – Good Foods Chunky Guacamole is made with 100% fresh Hass avocados for the best-ever flavor & texture. It’s our all-time fave packaged guacamole & PWWB house fridge staple!
- Queso – Good Foods Plant Based Queso is another longtime favorite here at the PWWB House! It’s a seriously creamy whipped almond & cauliflower-based dip that everyone around the snack table can enjoy.
- Cashew Crema – The easiest dairy-free drizzle to whip up for any meal. The cilantro lime variation is a perfect pairing for spicy buffalo chicken crunchwraps!
- Salsa – We love Good Foods Avocado Salsa, which is made with fresh tomatillos, Hass avocados, a hint of spicy jalapeno peppers, & lime. It’s a fresh spin on classic salsa verde! Feel free to use any other red tomato salsa you love too or whip up a quick pico de gallo for extra freshness.
I can’t wait for you to try these Buffalo Chicken Crunchwraps! They’re so easy to make & we honestly can’t think of a better game day treat than loading buffalo chicken up with guac, salsa, & other dips. 😋 We’re completely obsessed, & we think you will be too!
If you do give them a try, be sure to let us know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @playswellwithbutter on Instagram. We LOVE seeing your PWWB creations! ♡ Happy cooking!
More Recipes Like This:
Winning Game Day Recipes 🏈
As far as I’m concerned, any time is a good time for a crunch wrap! This Buffalo Chicken Crunchwrap recipe gives the fast-food staple that we all know & love a fun twist by swapping out seasoned ground beef with tangy, zesty buffalo chicken. They’re seriously craveable & so easy to make – perfect for an easy weeknight dinner or a game day snack table.
The key to successful homemade crunchwraps is building lots of layers of flavor & texture. Be sure to look for large or extra-large flour tortillas to accommodate a generous amount of filling & don’t skip the crunchy tostadas. From there, you can pile your crunch wraps with whatever you love most – check the blog post, above, for some inspiration to get you started!
While I’m partial to the golden brown toastiness achieved by slowly warming these crunch wraps in a skillet on the stovetop, you can also bake crunchwraps on a sheet pan – an especially helpful shortcut if you’re serving a hungry crowd! For step-by-step instructions, refer to the blog post, above.
Have fun with it, & seriously – don’t forget the extra toppings. ♡ Happy cooking!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt & ground black pepper, to season
- one 8-ounce container Good Foods Plant Based Buffalo Dip (approx. 1 cup)
- 5 large or extra-large burrito-sized flour tortillas
- 4 tostada shells
- ½ cup ranch or bleu cheese dressing, divided
- 1 head Romaine lettuce, finely shredded
- 1 Roma or beefsteak tomato, deseeded & diced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces colby jack or pepper jack cheese, shredded (approx. 1 cup shredded)
- for serving, as desired: ranch or bleu cheese dressing, Good Foods Chunky Guacamole, Good Foods Plant Based Queso, or salsa of choice like Good Foods Avocado Salsa, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, ensuring a rack is positioned in the center of the oven. Gather & prep all ingredients according to Ingredients List, above.
- Cook the chicken: Melt the butter in an oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Season the chicken breasts with the smoked paprika, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon kosher salt & ground black pepper as desired. Place the chicken in the skillet, browning for 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer the skillet to the oven. Roast for 15-20 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest portion of the chicken registers an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. While the chicken is in the oven, it’s great to multi-task & prep all of the buffalo chicken crunch wrap fillings – see Step 4 for more guidance.
- Shred & mix the buffalo chicken: Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, carefully shred it into bite-sized pieces – you can do so using 2 forks, or my favorite trick: pop the chicken directly into in a stand mixer & let the paddle attachment do the work for you (I swear this works!). Transfer the cooked & shredded chicken to a medium bowl with Good Foods Plant Based Buffalo Dip. Mix to combine well & set aside for crunch wrap assembly.
- Assemble the buffalo chicken crunchwraps: Slice 1 of the flour tortillas into triangle-shaped quarters, then set them alongside all of the other buffalo chicken crunchwrap fillings for assembly. To assemble, place a whole flour tortilla on a work surface in front of you. Spoon ¼ of the buffalo chicken mixture onto the center of the tortilla, drizzling 1 tablespoon of bleu cheese or ranch dressing over top. Place one of the tostada shells over top. Layer on ¼ of the shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sliced green onions, shredded cheese, or any other desired crunchwrap fillings over top, then finish with a second 1-tablespoon drizzle of ranch or bleu cheese dressing. Place one of the tortilla quarters over top, then carefully fold the edges of the whole tortilla up & over the crunchwrap fillings. It’s helpful to tuck or pleat the edge of the tortilla as you fold, creating a fully encased buffalo chicken crunchwrap. Repeat with the remaining tortillas & buffalo chicken crunchwrap fillings, creating 4 total crunchwraps.
- Toast the crunchwraps: Carefully place a buffalo chicken crunchwrap seam side facing down in large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Cook 2-3 minutes per side, until the tortilla is toasty, crunchy & golden brown. Transfer to a plate & set aside. Repeat with remaining buffalo chicken crunchwraps.
- Serve: Slice the buffalo chicken crunchwraps in half & alongside any dips, toppings, & spreads you love. Enjoy immediately!
- Shredded chicken: While cooking the chicken fresh is quick, easy, & creates a ton of flavor, making buffalo chicken crunchwraps is also a great way to use up any leftover chicken that may be hanging out in your refrigerator. Rotisserie chicken is also a great store-bought shortcut. If you’re using already cooked chicken, skip Step 1-2 of Recipe Directions, above, making sure to season the buffalo chicken mix with smoked paprika & garlic powder according to the Ingredients List.
- Storage & Reheating: Buffalo chicken crunchwraps are best served fresh out of the skillet, though leftovers will keep, stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days. For crispiest results, reheat for 5-10 minutes in a 250 degree F oven or on the stovetop (quesadilla-style) until warmed through.
Keywords: homemade crunchwrap, crunchwrap recipe, crunch wrap recipe, buffalo chicken recipe, game day recipes
Recipe & Food Styling by Jess Larson, Plays Well With Butter | Photography by Rachel Cook, Half Acre House.