THIS POST IS SPONSORED BY
Florida Orange Juice, who I’m thrilled to partner with in 2023! Enjoying nutrient-rich Florida OJ is an easy way to help support your immune system all winter long, whether you’re simply grabbing a glass or incorporating its bright, feel-good flavor into your favorite dinner recipes. All thoughts & opinions are my own.
A Feel-Good Stir Fry Dinner – Faster Than Takeout!
We love treating ourselves to takeout night (sushi! dumplings! pizza! 🤩), but some takeout favorites – like orange chicken! – are super quick & easy to make at home. This orange chicken and vegetable stir fry delivers classic flavor with a few feel-good twists.
By stir frying marinated chicken & veggies, you can avoid all the hassle of deep frying. It’s a feel-good swap that also keeps weeknight dinner prep mess-free. But the very best part is tossing it all together in a bright orange stir fry sauce made with Florida Orange Juice. The natural sugars in Florida Orange Juice help create a perfectly sticky sauce that has balanced sweetness, complete with many important nutrients that can help keep your immune system strong year-round.
Plus, these classic orange chicken flavors come to life in about 10 minutes, all in one pan. It really couldn’t be easier. It’s the perfect recipe to keep in your back pocket for whenever takeout cravings strike – & dinner will be ready even faster than ordering delivery!
Orange Chicken Stir Fry Recipe Highlights
You’ll love this homemade stir fry orange chicken! It’s…
LIGHT & BRIGHT. Prep this lightened-up dish by stir frying marinated chicken and vegetables in a homemade orange stir fry sauce. Totally feel-good food – & no at-home deep frying required!
VEGGIE-LOADED. We can never resist the chance to load up on veggies! This orange chicken stir fry recipe uses tons of bell peppers & onions, stir-fried to tender-crisp perfection.
SUPER QUICK. This stir fry orange chicken recipe only requires 10 minutes of cooking time, & it comes together even faster with a bit of meal prep. A quick & easy dinner that satisfies any weeknight takeout cravings!
Hard to beat homemade! ♡ Read on to learn more about how to make this Orange Chicken Stir Fry recipe, or jump straight to the recipe & get cooking!
One of the many reasons we love this orange chicken stir fry recipe is because it’s made entirely from scratch using only a few simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen.
Note: Full ingredients list & measurements provided in the Recipe Card, below.
- Chicken – We always prefer using extra-juicy chicken thighs, especially for stir fry. If you prefer to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts dice them into bite-sized pieces (rather than long strips) to prevent them from drying out.
- Veggies – And plenty of them! We’ve loaded this orange chicken stir fry with orange & red bell peppers, onion, & sliced green onion for a beautiful tender-crisp bite.
- Orange chicken marinade – Quickly marinating the chicken in Florida OJ, sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, & rice wine infuses the meat with tons of flavor right from the start.
- Orange stir fry sauce – Made with many ingredients you already used for the chicken marinade, this homemade sauce comes together really quickly. You need Florida OJ, sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, corn starch (to thicken), & red pepper flakes (optional, for a little extra heat!).
- Avocado oil – The high smoke point of avocado oil makes it ideal for stir-frying. If you don’t keep avocado oil on hand, feel free to use whatever neutral oil you love best.
Florida Orange Juice
Orange juice is a must-have ingredient for orange chicken, & we always like reaching for Florida Orange Juice. Not only is it more convenient than squeezing a ton of fruit by hand, but it also creates the best flavor in this orange chicken and vegetable stir fry recipe.
Florida OJ is naturally sweet with no added sugar, giving both the orange stir fry sauce & chicken marinade delicious subtle sweetness & citrusy brightness. Plus, an 8-ounce serving of 100% orange juice provides vitamin C & many other essential nutrients that our bodies crave extra in the winter. Whether you’re drinking it by the glass or incorporating it into your favorite weeknight dinners, keeping Florida OJ on hand is a simple & convenient way to help support your immune system & wellness goals year-round.
Florida Orange Juice can be found in lots of different OJ brands, many of which are probably already at your local grocery store! Find Florida OJ near you & follow along for more recipe inspiration. This stir-fry recipe proves that orange juice is more than just for breakfast!
How to Make Orange Chicken Stir Fry at Home
Classic Chinese-style stir fries like Sweet & Sour Pork or Beef & Veggies use a simple combination of high heat & flavorful ingredients to create a delicious meal in no time. This orange chicken stir fry with Florida Orange Juice is no exception – once you get cooking, it comes together in 10 minutes or less. Such a treat for busy weeknights!
Full Recipe Directions, including step-by-step photos, are included in the Recipe Card, below.
Marinate the chicken. Thinly slice the chicken thighs, then let the chicken soak up a quick marinade of Florida Orange juice, sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, & rice wine. Why? ⇢ Marinating the chicken first builds an extra layer of bright & sweet flavor!
Make the orange stir-fry sauce. While the chicken marinates, whisk together the Florida OJ, sweet chili sauce, cornstarch, soy sauce, & red pepper flakes to make a sauce. Tip! ⇢ Feel free to give it a taste & adjust to your preferences – add in some ginger or a few cloves garlic for extra punch, balance the natural sweetness of the Florida OJ with a splash of rice vinegar or amp it up with a quick drizzle of honey, etc. Make it your own!
Stir fry the chicken & veggies. Start by stir-frying the marinated chicken in a large skillet or wok for a few minutes, then remove it from the pan & add in the bell peppers & onions. Why? ⇢ Stir frying these components separately helps avoid overcooking the chicken & ensures the veggies have a perfectly tender-crisp texture.
Add the sauce. Push the chicken & veggies aside in the pan, then add the orange stir fry sauce to the middle, stirring constantly as it heats up. Why? ⇢ As you stir the heat will transform the cornstarch, thickening the sauce into a beautiful glaze, just like classic orange stir-fry sauce!
Toss! Finish by tossing everything together until the chicken & veggies are coated in the sticky, orange sauce. That’s it – a restaurant-worthy dinner in 10 minutes or less! 🙌🏼
Once your orange chicken stir fry is ready, garnish the whole skillet with a good sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds & thinly sliced green onions for the tiniest crunch & a little extra aromatic flavor.
Easy serving suggestions…
- Over your grain of choice. We love eating orange chicken stir fry over white or brown rice, but it’s great with any kind of grain like fluffy quinoa or even cauliflower rice.
- Tucked in a lettuce cup. If you’re not in the mood for a starch, we also really love spooning the orange chicken and vegetable stir fry into lettuce cups, which always makes for a really fun, hands-on dinner.
- Alongside extra veggies. If you’re in the mood for extra veggies, add a side of broccoli florets or carrots (which you can sauté before you begin stir frying).
Leftovers? ⇢ Feel free to keep any leftover stir fry orange chicken in your fridge for 3 days, which is easy to reheat in the microwave or stovetop. Check the Recipe Notes, below, for more guidance!
I can’t wait for you to try this Orange Chicken Stir Fry with Florida Orange Juice! It’s lightened-up, totally feel-good, & such a fun twist on the takeout classic that we all know & love – you’re going to be obsessed!
If you do give it a try, be sure to let us know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @playswellwithbutter & @FloridaOrange Juice on Instagram. We LOVE seeing your PWWB creations! ♡ Happy cooking!
More Recipes Like This:
Takeout-Inspired Dinner Recipes
A quick, easy, & totally feel-good stir fry is one of my favorite ways to recreate our favorite takeout dishes at home. That’s exactly what we’ve done with this Orange Chicken Stir Fry recipe.
Stir frying lightly marinated chicken and loads of veggies in a homemade orange stir fry sauce delivers all the craveable flavor of classic orange chicken, with the benefit of being an easy one-skillet & veggie-loaded dinner that comes together faster than the time it takes to order delivery. (All without the fuss & mess involved with at-home deep frying!)
The star of the show is undoubtedly the orange stir fry sauce, a vibrant & sunshiney sauce with gloriously tangy, sticky, citrusy, & not-too-sweet flavor. Since it comes together quickly with just a couple of pantry staple ingredients, it’s easy to whisk up at dinnertime (be sure to check the Recipe Notes, below, for some meal prep tips, too!).
While we think this orange chicken and vegetable stir fry with Florida Orange Juice strikes all the right notes as-written, it’s a really flexible recipe that you can tweak to your tastes. Feel free to add in extra veggies like broccoli or carrots, serve it over a different grain or cauliflower rice, or scoop it into lettuce cups for a fun, hands-on dinner.
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon Florida Orange Juice, divided for the marinade & orange sauce, below
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts, sliced into ½-inch strips (see Recipe Notes)
- 2 large orange, red or yellow bell peppers, sliced into ½-inch strips
- ½ medium yellow or red onion, peeled & sliced root to stem into ½-inch strips
- 3 green onions, sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil or high smoke point vegetable oil of choice
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- for serving, as desired: white rice or grain of choice, thinly sliced green onions, toasted sesame seeds, etc.
for the marinade:
- 1 tablespoon Florida Orange Juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons sweet chili sauce
- ½ teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon rice wine
- kosher salt & ground white pepper, to season
for the orange stir fry sauce:
- 1 cup Florida Orange Juice
- ¼ cup sweet chili sauce
- 1 heaping tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 overflowing teaspoon soy sauce
- optional: up to ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- kosher salt & ground white pepper, to season
- Marinate the chicken: Combine all listed marinade ingredients in a large bowl, seasoning with about ¼ teaspoon kosher salt & ground white pepper as desired. Add the thinly sliced chicken strips, stirring to coat well. Set aside for at least 20 minutes – this is a great time to multitask by slicing the stir fry veggies & preparing the orange sauce (Step 2, below).
- Prepare the orange sauce: Meanwhile, as the chicken marinates, prepare the orange stir fry sauce. Add all listed sauce ingredients to a small bowl, seasoning with about ¼ teaspoon kosher salt & ground white pepper as desired. Whisk to combine well, taking care to break up any lumps & bumps of cornstarch. Set aside for stir frying, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Stir fry the orange chicken & vegetables: Once the chicken is marinated, add the oil to a large wok or heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat. Once the oil is hot & shimmering, carefully add the chicken to the skillet, shaking off & discarding any excess marinade. If needed, work in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan. Stir fry 4-5 minutes, until the chicken is just cooked through. Transfer to a large bowl or plate & set aside. Add the bell peppers to the skillet, stir fry for about 1 minute, then add the onions & green onions & stir fry for 1 minute longer or until the vegetables are tender-crisp. Return the cooked chicken to the wok, stirring to combine.
- Finish the orange chicken stir fry: Reduce to medium-high heat & use a spatula or wooden spoon to push the stir-fried chicken & vegetables to the side of the pan, creating a well in the middle. Give the orange stir fry sauce a quick whisk, then pour it into the well. Cook, stirring constantly, until it begins to thicken, about 30 seconds – 1 minute. Move the chicken & vegetables into the sauce, stirring to coat well. Finish with a good sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds, then remove from the heat.
- Serve immediately, spooning the orange chicken stir fry with Florida Orange Juice over rice or leafy green lettuce for wraps. Finish with thinly sliced green onions & additional toasted sesame seeds as desired. Enjoy!
- Ingredient Notes:
- Chicken thighs vs chicken breasts: We prefer using boneless, skinless chicken thighs in this orange chicken stir fry recipe since they’re flavorful & stay really nice & juicy through cooking, but you can certainly use chicken breasts if you prefer. If so, you may wish to try cutting the chicken into bite-sized pieces vs thin strips, which should help prevent drying to some extent. Adjust cook times as necessary to ensure the chicken is cooked through.
- Florida Orange Juice can be found in lots of different OJ brands, many of which are probably already at your local grocery store! Find Florida OJ at a store near you.
- Storage: This orange chicken stir fry is best enjoyed fresh, immediately after cooking. Leftovers will keep if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop, just until warmed through.
- 20-Minute Meal Prep: As is the case with any stir fry, there’s a bit of measuring & chopping required with this orange chicken stir fry recipe, which is where all of the active prep time comes from – the cooking process itself is very quick! If you’d like, you can do a little prep ahead of time to cut down on active work required at dinnertime. Pick & choose from the list below, or prep it all beforehand, & all you have to do at dinnertime is get cooking – easy!
- Slice the chicken: Thinly slice the chicken thighs or breasts & store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. (5 minutes active prep)
- Chop the veggies: Thinly slice 2 large bell peppers & ½ medium onion. Store in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. (10 minutes active prep)
- Prep the orange stir fry sauce: Mix the stir fry sauce according to Step 2 of Recipe Directions, above. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. (5 minutes active time)
Keywords: easy stir fry recipe, orange chicken stir fry, orange chicken recipe, weeknight dinner recipe
Recipe by Jess Larson, Plays Well With Butter | Photography by KJ & Company, Kate Poskochil