A Creamy, Tangy, Herbaceous Ranch Sauce Perfect for Dipping or Drizzling
I have something of a love-hate relationship with ranch. The love part is pretty self-explanatory; it’s hard to resist a cooling and creamy dip! The hate part, though, stems from lots(!) of disappointment with convenient store-bought options.
When I crave ranch dressing or dip, I’m looking for an ultra-creamy texture and a punch of tangy, fresh, herbaceous flavor. That’s what homemade does best!
And after years of obsessive tweaking, I’ve finally perfected my ideal version: introducing, my go-to Greek Yogurt Ranch.
This simple recipe is quick and easy to make with only 5 basic ingredients and you can whisk it up in 5 minutes or less.
It’s perfectly tangy and fresh-tasting, but the best part is the fact that you can control the sauce’s texture with a simple splash of water so it’s just right, no matter whether you’re dipping or dressing.
Leave it as-is for a dip for fresh veggies or Grilled Buffalo Wings or thin it out to make the perfect dressing for coleslaw and salad.
An all-purpose recipe for all of your ranch cravings!
3 Reasons Why You’ll LOVE Making Ranch with Greek Yogurt
Typical homemade ranch dressing recipes use a blend of mayo and buttermilk to achieve classic tangy creaminess. Instead, I opt for Greek yogurt mixed with garlic and lots of fresh dill and chives.
IMHO, there are 3 key reasons to be obsessed with making ranch with Greek yogurt:
- It’s more convenient. I’m way more likely to have Greek Yogurt hanging out in my fridge than buttermilk, making from-scratch ranch just a quick step away. No need to run to the store!
- It’s low-waste. Whenever I do make the effort to buy buttermilk, too often I only use a few tablespoons before it goes to waste. So rather than invest in something and use a little, this ranch recipe embraces an ingredient I always have hanging around.
- It’s extra creamy. Thick and smooth Greek yogurt gives homemade ranch that extra oomph of creaminess that I crave in a dressing or dip. SO good. 😋
How to Make Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing or Dip
Store-bought ranch might seem more convenient, but making homemade is well worth the payoff in flavor. This version is seriously creamy with a punchy freshness that’s simply unbeatable.
Combine the ingredients. Whisk together plain Greek yogurt, garlic, chives or green onions, dill, and apple cider vinegar, seasoning with salt and pepper. At this point, the sauce should have a thick and creamy consistency. A fantastic Greek yogurt ranch dip for vegetables or chips!
Optional! Thin it out with water. If you want your yogurt ranch a little more smooth and drizzly, whisk in a few tablespoons of water at a time until it’s just how you like it. This creates more of a Greek yogurt ranch dressing that’s still creamy but light enough to toss into a delicate slaw or salad.
Easy Recipe Variations
Make It Dairy-Free and Vegan! ⇢ These days there are so many awesome non-dairy options in the yogurt aisle! Swap in your favorite brand to easily make this Greek yogurt ranch dairy-free and/or vegan without losing its signature creamy texture. Use whatever you love!
The creamy, cooling flavors of this Greek yogurt ranch pair perfectly with crunchy veggies and take the tangy edge off of anything buffalo. Serve it either as a thick and creamy dip or an herbaceous dressing – it’s versatile enough for tons of recipes!
What to dunk in Greek yogurt ranch dip…
- My Best-Ever Grilled Buffalo Wings
- Chips, pretzels, or raw crudité veggies
- Game day bites like Buffalo Chicken Poppers or Crispy Buffalo Chicken Tacos
What to drizzle with Greek yogurt ranch dressing…
- A simple cabbage slaw
- Feel-good salads like my Grilled Buffalo Cauliflower Salad or Hearty Buffalo Chicken Bowls
I can’t wait for you to try my 5-Minute Greek Yogurt Ranch! This classic sauce always tastes best homemade and the addition of creamy Greek yogurt really takes it over the top! You’re going to be obsessed.
If you do give it a try, be sure to let us know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo and tag @playswellwithbutter on Instagram. We LOVE seeing your PWWB creations! ♡ Happy cooking!Print
A perfectly tangy and herbaceous homemade ranch dressing, all thanks to one secret ingredient: Greek yogurt!
My go-to 5-Minute Greek Yogurt Ranch is made with garlic, chives, and fresh dill to create an extra-creamy sauce with signature ranch flavor.
Serve as-is for a thick and creamy dip or thin it out for a drizzly dressing to enjoy with wings, salads, veggies, and more!
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt (whole milk or 2% is best)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 3–4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives or green onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons – ⅓ cup water
- kosher salt & ground black pepper, to season
- Mix the Greek yogurt ranch: To a small bowl, add the Greek yogurt, garlic, chives or green onions, dill, & apple cider vinegar. Season with ½ teaspoon kosher salt & ground black pepper as desired. Whisk to combine well. Thin the mixture out with water, just until your desired consistency is reached – for a thick yogurt ranch dip, start with 2 tablespoons water and for a creamy yogurt ranch dressing, ¼ cup water is perfect. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Serve: Enjoy immediately. As a yogurt ranch dip, it’s a great pairing for a veggie platter or a pile of crispy chicken wings. As a yogurt ranch dressing, it’s perfect for tossing into salad or slaw. I also love spreading it on a grilled chicken sandwich. Sky’s the limit, you really can’t go wrong – get creative and have fun with it. Enjoy!
- Dietary restrictions: This Greek yogurt ranch recipe is naturally gluten-free and vegetarian. For a dairy-free and vegan ranch dressing, simply swap Greek yogurt with your favorite non-dairy yogurt.
- Storage: Prepared Greek yogurt ranch dressing or dip will keep, stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, for up to 1 week. The ranch may thicken up as it rests in the refrigerator, so feel free to whisk in a little more water to reach your desired consistency before serving.