All the Best Parts of a Crispy, Juicy Summer BLT…But Make It a Fresh Salad! 🥗
As a total salad freak, I love re-imagining my fave sandwiches into satisfying salads (see: Lobster Roll Salad & Buffalo Chicken Bowls) but this BLT Salad might be our most iconic twist yet! 🤩 It takes all of the craveable textures & flavors of the classic sandwich, turning them into the best fresh, hearty salad. With the perfect balance of salty, sweet, crispy, juicy, & creamy, it’s truly a BLT lover’s dream!
Crispy thick-cut bacon & garlicky sourdough croutons bulk up this BLT salad, making it especially reminiscent of the sandwich. The magic of this recipe is that the bacon & croutons toast alongside each other in the oven, until the bacon is perfectly crisp & the croutons are golden. Plus, prepping these 2 key components side-by-side means the oven doesn’t have to be on for long – perfect for a hot summer night!
From there, simply toss the bacon & croutons with romaine lettuce & plenty of chopped veggies, like juicy cherry tomatoes, English cucumber, creamy avocado. Bring it all together with a tangy homemade buttermilk dressing & the resulting BLT salad is super fresh, filling, fun, & – if I do say so myself! – absolutely flawless!
BLT Salad Recipe Highlights
There’s so much to love about this chopped BLT salad! It’s…
TRUE TO THE CLASSIC SANDWICH. This BLT salad layers crispy bacon, juicy tomatoes, crunchy lettuce, & sourdough croutons in a creamy buttermilk dressing that kicks classic mayo up a notch – the iconic sandwich served in a bowl!
SUPER FRESH. Complete with loads of veggies (crispy-crunchy lettuce! juicy summer tomatoes! diced cucumber! creamy avocado!), every bite of this BLT salad tastes especially fresh & satisfying – just what you crave on a hot summer night!
FAST & FUN! With minimal prep & hands-off cooking that knocks out 2 components at once, this BLT salad recipe couldn’t be simpler to make. It’s ready in 30 minutes or less & guaranteed to impress!
Crunchy, juicy, creamy, & hearty. YUM!! ♡ Read on to learn more about how to make BLT Salad with Sourdough Croutons & Buttermilk Dressing, or jump straight to the recipe & get cooking!
The blend of salty-sweet flavors & crispy-juicy-creamy textures is what makes a BLT so delicious! This avocado BLT salad stays true to the components of the classic sandwich, so the line-up of ingredients should look pretty familiar.
Note: Full ingredients list & measurements provided in the Recipe Card, below.
- Bacon – The thicker cut the bacon strips, the better! I always opt for real-deal pork bacon, but feel free to use turkey bacon if that’s what you like.
- Lettuce – Crunchy romaine lettuce is classic, creating a beautiful crisp bed for this BLT salad with avocado. Feel free to use any other greens you love like shredded iceberg lettuce, spring mix, arugula, or even massaged kale.
- Cherry tomatoes – Bite-sized tomatoes for a pop of juicy sweetness in every bite! Feel free to pick fresh tomatoes straight off the vine in your garden & toss them right into your BLT salad.
- English cucumber – While not a traditional element of a BLT sandwich, the extra crunch of a summer cucumber is so good. English cukes have thin skin – feel free to peel or not!
- Avocado – An addition that technically makes this BLT salad recipe a BLAT, but who can resist creamy avocado?!
- Sourdough croutons – An easy mix of sourdough bread, olive oil, & garlic powder, homemade croutons recreate toasty-crunchy sandwich vibes.
- Buttermilk dressing – This simple BLT salad dressing takes the sandwich’s creamy swoop of mayo to the next level! Combine mayonnaise & buttermilk for extra creaminess, then season with fresh chives, garlic powder, lemon juice, & a dash of sugar.
How to Make BLT Salad with Avocado
This avocado BLT salad recipe is easy enough for any busy summer day. The bacon & croutons roast at the same time in the oven, creating the perfect window of time to whisk up the BLT salad dressing & chop the veggies. It’s all ready in 30 minutes or less!
Full Recipe Directions, including step-by-step photos, are included in the Recipe Card, below.
Roast the bacon & sourdough croutons in the oven. The beauty of this recipe is that these 2 key components cook at the same time! Simply toss cubed sourdough bread with olive oil, garlic powder, & S&P, then transfer to a baking sheet & arrange thick-cut strips of bacon on a second. Place both sheet pans in the oven & bake at 400 degrees F for about 20 minutes, giving everything a quick flip about halfway through. Tip! ⇢ To ensure perfectly crispy results, place the sheet pan of bacon in the upper half of the oven. Since hot air rises, the top of an oven runs warmer than its lower positions. Works like a charm!
Chop the veggies. While the bacon & croutons roast in the oven, prep the rest of your salad components. Chop the romaine lettuce, quarter the cherry tomatoes, & dice the cucumber & avocado. Tip! ⇢ Salad dressing hates wet leaves, so wash your romaine lettuce & make sure it’s dry for assembly. Either run the romaine through a salad spinner or pat it dry with paper towels.
Whisk up the buttermilk dressing. Simply combine all the dressing ingredients & whisk together! If you’d like, you can make the BLT salad dressing 1 week ahead of time & store it in the fridge. Don’t have buttermilk? ⇢ It’s so easy to make homemade buttermilk! Just add 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice or vinegar to ¼ cup low-fat milk. Give it a good stir & it’s good to go!
BLT Salad Assembly, Tips, & Tricks
Once all the components are ready, this chopped BLT salad with avocado is so easy to throw together. To assemble, place the lettuce in a serving bowl or on platter & drizzle with buttermilk dressing. Add the cherry tomatoes, cucumber, & avocado & finish with chopped bacon & sourdough croutons. Simple!
A few tips & tricks for next-level results…
- Season everything! Making sure every component is well-seasoned ensures every bite tastes like perfection. I like to quickly season salad lettuce & veggies with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice & sprinkle of S&P before tossing them all together.
- Toss in fresh herbs like basil or parsley for even more flavor. This is an especially handy hack when your garden is going crazy!
- Make it cheesy! A handful of cheddar cheese, feta, or blue cheese crumbles is always a good idea!
- Freestyle the dressing! The creamy BLT salad dressing is pretty flexible so feel free to swap sour cream or yogurt for buttermilk if that’s what’s in your fridge. A dash of hot sauce or finely chopped chipotle pepper also takes it to the next level. Or, toss in a handful of fresh dill to make it a homemade ranch dressing! You really can’t go wrong.
Serving & Storage Suggestions
What to serve with BLT salad? ⇢ With plenty of hearty bacon & veggies, this chopped BLT salad is a main course all on its own! If you’d like to bulk it up even more, you can also add some simple grilled lemon chicken. To take the summer vibes up another notch, serve your avocado BLT salad with grilled potato wedges, corn on the cob, or grilled vegetables.
Prep & storage. ⇢ This BLT salad recipe is best enjoyed fresh immediately after it’s assembled. You can also store the components separately in the fridge & quickly whip up another salad later on – everything keeps for a few days. Check the Recipe Notes, below, for more guidance!
I can’t wait for you to try this BLT Salad with Sourdough Croutons & Buttermilk Dressing! It’s hard to beat a classic BLT sandwich, but this salad version is pretty irresistible! It’s so hearty, creamy, crunchy, & fun – I know you’ll love just as much as we do!
If you do give it a try, be sure to let us know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @playswellwithbutter on Instagram. We LOVE seeing your PWWB creations! ♡ Happy cooking!
More Recipes Like This:
Crave-Worthy Summer Salads
The iconic summer sandwich, reimagined into a salad! This BLT salad recipe takes all the flavors & textures of the classic sandwich, but pulls them together in the form of a hearty, fresh salad. It’s the perfect summer dish!
One of the fun things about this recipe is that the oven does double duty, roasting up perfectly crispy bacon & garlicky sourdough croutons at the same time for especially fast & easy prep. While the bacon & croutons are in the oven, you’ll have the perfect window of time to chop up some crunchy veggies, slice a handful of juicy-sweet cherry tomatoes, & whisk together a quick buttermilk dressing.
The resulting salad is smoky, crispy, juicy, crunchy, & creamy, just like a top-notch summer BLT with a little more freshness. So easy to make, so fun to eat – I hope you love this recipe just as much as we do! ♡
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon (approx. 12 ounces)
- sourdough croutons, below
- creamy buttermilk dressing, below
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, chopped into bite-sized pieces (approx. 10 cups)
- 4 ounces cherry tomatoes, quartered (approx. 1 cup)
- ½ English cucumber, diced or finely sliced (approx. 2 cups)
- 1 avocado, diced or finely sliced
- kosher salt & ground black pepper, to season
for the sourdough croutons:
- 8 ounces sourdough bread, diced into 1-inch cubes (approx. 3 heaping cups)
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt & ground black pepper, to season
for the creamy buttermilk dressing:
- ¼ cup buttermilk (see Recipe Notes)
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ½ lemon, juiced (approx. 1 tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives (can sub 1 teaspoon dried chives or 1 clove garlic)
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt & ground black pepper, to season
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F, ensuring racks are positioned in the center & upper third positions. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Arrange the sliced bacon in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Set aside.
- Prepare the croutons: If desired, line a second smaller baking sheet with aluminum foil/parchment paper for easy clean up. Place the diced sourdough bread on the baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil over top, then season with garlic powder, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, & ground black pepper as desired. Toss well, coating the cubed bread with seasoning evenly. Set aside.
- Bake the bacon & sourdough croutons: Transfer the bacon & croutons to the oven, placing the croutons on the center rack & the bacon on the top rack. Bake 10 minutes. Remove both the bacon & croutons from the oven – flip the bacon & shake/toss the croutons for even cooking. Return to the oven for 8-10 minutes longer, until the bacon is rendered & crisp and the croutons are golden & toasty. Set the croutons aside to cool. Transfer the cooked bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Once cool enough to handle, break into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Prepare the buttermilk dressing: Meanwhile, as the bacon & croutons bake, prepare the BLT salad dressing. Combine all listed ingredients in a small bowl. Season with ¼ teaspoon kosher salt & ground black pepper as desired. Whisk to combine well. Taste & adjust seasoning as needed. Set aside, or store in an airtight container in the the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- BLT salad assembly: Place the lettuce in a large bowl or on a serving platter. Drizzle some of the buttermilk dressing over top. Toss to coat well. Top with the cherry tomatoes, cucumber, & avocado. Finish with the bacon & sourdough croutons. Serve immediately, with additional dressing as desired. Enjoy!
- Jess’ Salad Tips:
- Buttermilk substitutes: If you do not have buttermilk on hand, you can make a quick substitute for the BLT salad dressing by adding 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice or vinegar to a scant ¼ cup of low-fat milk. Stir to combine & let the mixture sit for a minute to thicken slightly.
- Season well! One of the secrets to a restaurant-worthy salad is ensuring every component is seasoned. Sprinkle the lettuce with a quick pinch of salt & ground black pepper before you dress it. Before I add them to the salad, I also like to arrange all the chopped veggies on a cutting board, seasoning them with a little salt, ground black pepper, & freshly squeezed lemon juice (use the ½ lemon leftover from the buttermilk dressing!).
- Spice it up! This BLT salad recipe is great as-is, but feel free to play with the flavors a little bit. When my herb garden is growing like crazy, I’ll often tear a handful of fresh basil leaves into the lettuce. The creamy buttermilk dressing can also handle a little bit of heat – feel free to mix in a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce or a finely chopped chipotle pepper.
- Storage: This BLT salad is best enjoyed fresh, the day it’s prepared, though the bacon, sourdough croutons, creamy buttermilk dressing, & hearty vegetables can be prepared 2-3 days in advance. Transfer everything to separate airtight containers. Store the croutons at room temperature & the rest in the refrigerator until you’re ready to prepare your BLT salad.
Keywords: blt salad
Recipe & Food Styling by Jess Larson, Plays Well With Butter | Photography by Rachel Cook, Half Acre House.