THIS POST IS SPONSORED BY
ALDI, my favorite one-stop shop for the holidays! No matter what festive treat I’m making, I can always count on ALDI for the best quality ingredients at the most affordable prices. All thoughts & opinions are my own.
Quick Stovetop Mac and Cheese Made Extra-Fancy!✨
All the holiday joy buzzing between Thanksgiving & New Year’s makes everything, especially food, feel a little more special. It’s one of the reasons I love this time of year so, so much! Even the simplest dishes – like good ol’ stovetop mac & cheese! – can benefit from an extra-festive makeover, & that’s exactly how this easy Truffle Mac and Cheese recipe came to be.
Homemade mac & cheese is always pretty unbeatable, but this truffled mac and cheese is next-level special. Truffles are just one of those luxury ingredients that make anything feel like a celebration! And this recipe delivers all of that decadent & special truffle flavor without breaking the bank, all thanks to ALDI!
ICYMI, the cheese selection at ALDI is my favorite, especially during the holiday season! Emporium Selection Premium English Truffle Cheddar Cheese is one of my all-time favorite seasonal products at ALDI – I look forward to buying it every year! It’s a sharp cheddar cheese made with black truffles for amazing truffled flavor & it’s so much more affordable than sourcing fresh truffles or expensive white truffle oil.
I’m always sure to grab a few blocks every year because it’s great for snacking & holiday cheese boards, but I’m always sure to put one aside for truffle mac and cheese. Folding it into a creamy cheese sauce with bronze cut pasta & crispy mushrooms is one of my favorite little holiday luxuries. I look forward to it all year, & I love that ALDI makes it so accessible & affordable.
And even with its fancy flavors, this truffle mac and cheese recipe is seriously quick & easy to make. You need just a handful of ingredients from ALDI & it comes together on the stovetop in less than 30 minutes. It’s the ultimate easy-yet-fancy dish to celebrate this time of year!
FREE Email Series: PWWB Pasta School
Make restaurant-worthy pasta at home!
Truffle Mac and Cheese Recipe Highlights
You’ll love this truffled mac and cheese! It’s…
CREAMY DREAMY. Toss al dente pasta in a decadent truffled cheese sauce made with truffle cheddar, mozzarella, & parmesan. Ooey gooey perfection!
QUICK & SIMPLE. You only need 7 main ingredients & 30 minutes to make this quick stovetop mac and cheese recipe. Special occasion meals don’t need to be extra complicated!
SUPER LUXE. This is one classy mac & cheese with over-the-top truffle flavor – perfect for festive holiday dinners, New Year’s Eve, Valentine’s Day, & more!
Pretty much the queen of mac & cheese! 👑 ♡ Read on to learn more about how to make Truffle Mac and Cheese, or jump straight to the recipe & get cooking!
You’d never guess it, but you only need a handful of ingredients to make a seriously rich & creamy truffle mac and cheese. Better yet, everything you need to make it is available at ALDI, my favorite one-stop-shop during the holiday season!
Note: Full ingredients list & measurements provided in the Recipe Card, below.
- Pasta – Feel free to use elbow macaroni or any short pasta you love. I love making truffle mac and cheese with Priano Authentic Italian Bronze Cut Conchiglie Pasta from ALDI (pictured). Its cupped shape is perfect for capturing all the cheesy truffle sauce!
- Cheese – The most important part! Emporium Selection Premium English Truffle Cheddar Cheese is the secret to the decadent truffle flavor in this recipe. I LOVE spotting it in the ALDI cheese section this time of year! Blend the truffle cheese with Happy Farms Mozzarella Cheese & Emporium Selection Parmesan Cheese Wedge from ALDI to create a cheese sauce with rich flavor & seriously creamy texture.
- Butter & all-purpose flour create a simple roux, the base of flavor & texture for the cheese sauce.
- Whole milk & heavy cream, my go-to combination for a seriously rich & creamy mac and cheese.
- Nutmeg, for a little spiced warmth that adds a special “ooh what’s that?!” quality to the cheese sauce.
- Finishing touches – While this truffle mac and cheese totally stands on its own, crispy roasted mushrooms & toasty garlic bread crumbs are optional toppings that we absolutely love!
What is Truffle Cheese?
Truffles are super luxe fungi prized in the culinary world for their earthy, pungent, nutty flavor. They grow for years underground & spoil very quickly once harvested, which is why fresh black or white truffles can be so expensive & hard to find. Their elusive nature makes them quite a delicacy – perfect for a special occasion meal!
What is truffle cheese, then? ⇢ Truffle cheese is made by infusing a mild cheese with truffle shavings or truffle oil, sometimes both. You can use truffles to flavor any type of cheese & the combo is a true match made in heaven.
The Emporium Selection Premium English Truffle Cheddar Cheese from ALDI used in this recipe is an amazing English white cheddar cheese flavored with both black summer truffles & truffle-infused olive oil. It’s loaded with truffle flavor & available at a great price – one of my all-time favorite items available at ALDI!
Meal Prep Tip!
Before you start: this truffle mac and cheese recipe comes together very quickly! You’ll be able to work much more swiftly if you take a moment to prep your ingredients first (e.g. grate the cheese, measure the milk & flour, etc.). From there, you can simply focus on enjoying cooking!
How to Make Truffle Mac and Cheese
Despite boasting super luxe flavors, this truffle mac and cheese recipe is a stovetop-style mac and cheese that comes together in 30 minutes or less. It’s seriously quick & simple to make!
Full Recipe Directions, including step-by-step photos, are included in the Recipe Card, below.
Cook the pasta. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then generously season & cook your pasta of choice just to al dente. Al dente cooking time is typically indicated on the pasta’s package instructions. Be sure to reserve a little starchy pasta water, then drain the pasta – but do not rinse it! Learn more! 🤓 ⇢ How to Cook Pasta Perfectly Every Single Time.
Build the bechamel sauce. This creamy bechamel is the base of the truffle cheese sauce. Whisk a little flour into melted butter to create a roux, then slowly stir in the milk & heavy cream into the saucepan, stirring constantly until it’s thickened slightly. How to tell when bechamel is ready? ⇢ It’s ready for a cheesy finishing touch once the bechamel sauce clings to the back of a wooden spoon (the French call this consistency nappe).
Mix in the cheese. Add in the cheeses one handful at a time, allowing it to melt completely after each addition. The sauce will slowly thicken, turning perfectly cheesy & smooth. Important! ⇢ Be sure to use freshly grated cheese! Pre-shredded cheeses often have a caking agent that inhibits meltiness. We want a super creamy truffle mac and cheese (who doesn’t?!), so for best results, buy whole blocks of cheese from ALDI & grate it yourself.
Toss with the pasta. Finish the stovetop mac by folding the cooked pasta into the cheesy sauce. If it’s too thick, add a splash of the reserved pasta water. If it’s too thin, toss in some extra parmesan cheese. Allow the pasta & sauce to cook together for a few minutes to make one cohesive dish – this is key to restaurant-quality pasta at home!
Serving Suggestions & Easy Topping Ideas
This truffled mac and cheese has a festive, cozy feeling in each bite – exactly what I’m craving this time of year! It’s a great dish for holidays like Christmas, New Year’s, or Valentine’s Day, but also suits more casual moments like date night or a Secret Santa gift swap. I love how easily it adds something special to any occasion!
The ultimate finishing touches: While this truffle mac and cheese is delicious all on its own, 2 quick & easy toppings lend a delicious finishing touch: crispy roasted mushrooms & toasty garlic breadcrumbs.
Full Recipe Directions, including step-by-step photos, are included in the Recipe Card, below.
For timing’s sake, I suggest preparing these toppings before you begin making the truffle mac and cheese recipe. They’re both quick to make & mostly hands-off! The mac and cheese comes together pretty quickly, so once it’s ready you can garnish each bowl & dig in.
Crispy Roasted Mushrooms. ⇢ Earthy mushrooms pair wonderfully with truffles, & this is my absolute favorite way to prepare them. Preheat a sheet pan in a 450 degree F oven, then coat it in oil & toss sliced mushrooms on top. Roast about 10 minutes, then season with salt & pop them back in the oven until they’re as crispy as you like. To take them to the next level, add a little butter & finely chopped garlic cloves to the pan in the last 2-3 minutes of roasting, then toss to combine.
Toasty Garlic Breadcrumbs. ⇢ These golden beauties are a simple way to add a ton of extra texture to creamy mac & cheese! Simply toast breadcrumbs in a little butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Just as they turn golden brown, season with garlic salt. Japanese-style panko breadcrumbs are my go-to because they’re extra light & crispy!
I love enjoying a cozy bowl of truffled mac and cheese all on its own, but it’s also an epic side dish for any holiday dinner table. Pair it with any main course that can stand up to its extra rich & creamy flavors.
A few ideas for what to serve with truffle mac and cheese to get you started…
I can’t wait for you to try this Truffle Mac and Cheese recipe! We love it so much, & I know you will too! It’s such a luxe & decadent treat – no one will ever guess how easy it was to make!
If you do give it a try, be sure to let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @playswellwithbutter on Instagram. I LOVE hearing about & seeing your PWWB creations! ♡ Happy cooking!
More Recipes Like This:
Impressive-Yet-Easy Holiday Dinners
This ultra rich & creamy Truffle Mac and Cheese is one of my all-time favorite special occasion recipes. Each bite is laced with seriously luxurious truffled flavor, but it’s a quick stovetop-style mac and cheese that you can throw together in 30 minutes or less.
Truffles are super luxe fungi prized in the culinary world for their earthy, pungent, nutty flavor. They grow for years underground & spoil very quickly once harvested, which is why fresh truffles are be so expensive & hard to find.
This mac and cheese gets its truffled flavor from truffle cheese, which is often made by infusing a milder variety with truffle shavings or truffle oil, sometimes both! As the star ingredient of the recipe, it’s really worth sourcing a truffle cheese you love. I’m absolutely crazy for Emporium Selection Premium English Truffle Cheddar Cheese, which is available at ALDI during the holiday seasons. It’s a great, affordable way to add a little bit of luxury to any meal this time of year!
While this truffle mac and cheese is great all on its own, we love topping each bowl with crispy roasted mushrooms & toasty garlic breadcrumbs. Find a full how-to in the Recipe Notes, below, & check the blog post, above, for more serving suggestions. Happy cooking! ♡
- 12 ounces Priano Authentic Italian Bronze Cut Conchiglie Pasta or short pasta of choice
- 3 tablespoons Simply Nature Organic Salted Butter
- 3 tablespoons Baker’s Corner All Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ cups Simply Nature Organic Whole Milk
- ½ cup Friendly Farms Heavy Whipping Cream
- ¼ teaspoon Stonemill Ground Nutmeg
- 5.3 ounces Emporium Selection Premium English Truffle Cheddar Cheese, shredded (approx. 1 ¾ cups shredded)
- 4 ounces Happy Farms Mozzarella Cheese, shredded (approx. 1 ½ cups shredded)
- 0.75 ounces Emporium Selection Parmesan Cheese Wedge, finely grated (approx. ¼ cup grated)
- kosher salt & ground black pepper, to season
- for serving, as desired: toasty garlic breadcrumbs (see Recipe Notes), crispy roasted mushrooms (see Recipe Notes), finely chopped parsley, etc.
- Prep: Before you get started cooking, read this recipe start to finish & prep the ingredients you need – measure the flour, milk & cream, grate the cheeses, etc. The cheese sauce is time-sensitive & comes together quickly once you start cooking, so having your prep all taken care of helps ensure a smooth cooking process. If you plan to serve your truffle mac and cheese with crispy roasted mushrooms or toasty garlic breadcrumbs, get both of those elements started first – refer to the Recipe Notes, below, for step-by-step guidance.
- Boil the pasta: Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add the pasta & cook the pasta to al dente according to package directions. Be sure to stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Once the pasta is al dente, reserve about 1 cup of the starchy water, then drain. (Learn more ⇢ How to Cook Pasta Perfectly Every Single Time!)
- Make the roux: Meanwhile, just after dropping the pasta in the boiling water, begin preparing the truffle cheese sauce. Add the butter to a medium skillet over medium heat. Once melted, add in the flour, whisking vigorously to eliminate any lumps in the roux. Cook the roux for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, until golden brown.
- Build the truffle mornay sauce: Slowly add the milk & heavy cream into the pot, whisking constantly to eliminate any lumps in the roux. Cook 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened to the point that it coats the back of a spoon (nappe). Season with the ground nutmeg, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, & ground black pepper as desired. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Working one handful at a time, add the shredded truffle cheese, mozzarella cheese, & parmesan cheese to the sauce, allowing the cheeses to melt completely between additions. Cook 1-2 minutes longer, until thickened slightly. Taste & season with additional salt & ground black pepper as desired.
- Finish the truffle mac and cheese: Fold the cooked pasta into the truffle cheese sauce, stirring to combine well. If the mixture is a little thick, add in some of the reserved pasta water to thin it out as needed. From here, adjust as needed so the truffle sauce evenly coats the pasta – if the mixture is too thick, toss in a little of the reserved pasta water; if the mixture is too loose, toss in an extra handful of parmesan cheese, etc. Cook over medium-low heat for 1-2 minutes, allowing the pasta to meld with & absorb some of the truffle sauce.
- Serve immediately. Portion the truffle mac & cheese into bowls. Top with crispy roasted mushrooms, toasty garlic breadcrumbs, grated parmesan, finely chopped fresh parsley, &/or ground black pepper as desired. Enjoy!
- Simple Add-Ons: While this truffle mac and cheese is creamy & totally luxe on its own, a couple of simple add-ons take it completely over the top. I like to prep my favorite Crispy Roasted Mushrooms & Toasty Garlic Breadcrumbs before I begin cooking the pasta – they’re both quick & quite hands off!
- Crispy Roasted Mushrooms: Place a sheet pan on a rack positioned in the upper third of the oven, then preheat the oven (& the sheet pan) to 450 degrees F. As the oven preheats, clean & halve or quarter 16 ounces cremini mushrooms (baby bella). Working quickly & carefully, remove the hot sheet pan from the hot oven. Drizzle 3 tablespoons Simply Nature Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil on the pan, shaking to coat the surface, then place the mushrooms over top, shaking them into a single, uniform layer. Return to the oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, give the mushrooms a good shake, season with 1 teaspoon kosher salt & return to the oven for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, place 2 tablespoons butter & 4 cloves finely chopped garlic on the sheet pan, then return to the oven for 3-5 more minutes. Remove from the oven, shake to coat in garlic butter well, then set aside for serving. (Learn more ⇢ Crispy Roasted Mushrooms)
- Toasty Garlic Breadcrumbs: Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Once melted, add ½ cup panko breadcrumbs & ½ teaspoon garlic salt. Stir to combine well. Cook, stirring occasionally, until toasted & golden, 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat & transfer to a small bowl for serving.
- Storage & Reheating: Leftover truffle mac and cheese will keep, stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop until warmed through.
- 15-Minute Meal Prep: Nearly all of the active prep work for this truffle mac and cheese comes from shredding the cheeses & prepping the veggies. Take care of this in advance – it takes 10 minutes, tops – & you can jump straight in to cooking during the week:
- Shred the cheeses: Shred 5.3 ounces truffle cheddar & 4 ounces low-moisture part-skim mozzarella. Finely grate 0.75 ounces parmesan cheese. Transfer to an airtight container & store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. (5 minutes active prep)
- Optional: clean & trim the mushrooms: If desired, clean, trim, & halve or quarter 16 ounces cremini/baby bella mushrooms. Transfer to a large bowl & store uncovered in the fridge for up to 5 days. (10 minutes active prep)
Keywords: Date Night Recipes, Easy Entertaining, Girls Night Recipes, Valentine’s Day Recipes, Vegetarian Recipes
Recipe & Food Styling by Jess Larson, Plays Well With Butter | Photography by Rachel Cook, Half Acre House.