equal parts entrée salad & nourishing bowl, summer glow bowls are end of summer perfection. the best produce of the season (kale, arugula, red bell pepper, cucumber, heirloom tomatoes) is tossed with quinoa, fresh herbs, & a homemade curry vinaigrette. summertime, perfected!
SUMMER GLOW BOWLS. oh yeah. guys, we’re doin’ it!
so i’m going to be completely honest here…i don’t know what makes a glow bowl a glow bowl. are glow bowls even a thing?
what i can tell you is this: these bowls are chock full…like, LOADED…with end-of-summery goodness.
shredded kale. arugula. red bell pepper. grilled corn. cucumber. baby heirloom tomatoes!! mint!!! cilantro!!!! basil!!!!!!!!
do i even need to go on?
can we just agree: if glow bowls aren’t actually a thing, they are now. because this is TOTALLY a summer glow bowl.
so here’s the deal. i mentioned this a little bit on instagram the other day, but overwhelm has been REAL in my life lately. part of it is totally end of summer FOMO, but the other part is still figuring out my routine as a new entrepreneur.
i am still tremendously, immensely grateful every single day to be doing what i’m doing. it’s an opportunity i do not take lightly in any respects. but the transition of going from a corporate workday that had a good deal of structure, to working all by myself all day long & really having loose day-to-day structure has been unexpectedly challenging.
it’s unchartered territory that i’m trying to learn. & of course, in my typical type a perfectionist manner, i want to figure it all out, like, yesterday.
so in this overwhelming – albeit happy – phase, one of the things i’ve vowed to myself is to stay nourished. not “eating healthy,” but instead focusing on eating flavorful, wholesome foods that make me feel great.
the kinds of meals that you look forward to, & leave you feeling refreshed. summer food, ya know?
& that’s where these summer glow bowls come in.
a wholesome bowl literally loaded with craveable end-of-summer goodness.
let’s break it down:
- late summer veggies: use whatever looks best, or whatever you love this time of year. for me, it’s kale (finely shredded), red bell pepper (they taste like sunshine!), grilled sweet corn (like candy), baby heirloom tomatoes (also quite candy-like), & cucumbers (so refreshing!).
- herbed quinoa: fluffy quinoa tossed with any and every herb you can get your hands on this time of year. basil. cilantro. fresh mint. chives. parsley. dill. anything! add in a squeeze of lime juice for some extra punch, or drizzle in a little bit of curry vinaigrette…
- curry vinaigrette: YES! it’s a thing, & it’s so, so, so, SO good. like, finger-licking good. this vinaigrette is packed full of curry powder, lemon, & honey. i throw in some red chili flake for a good kick of spice, but you can leave that out if spice isn’t your jam. curry vinaigrette is so well balanced & pairs perfectly with vibrant end of summer veggies. seriously…totally addicting.
summer glow bowls are perfect as a dinner salad (maybe even top with some grilled chicken or grilled shrimp?!) or as a starter or side dish when you’re hosting friends for dinner. they’re also a killer meal prep sunday dish – there is some prep involved chopping all the veggies, but store them separately in the fridge & assemble glow bowls as you want to throughout the week easily.
summer glow bowls. let’s do it.
so tell me…summer glow bowls: yay or nay? do you set intentions for yourself? how do you deal with feelings of overwhelm in your life? let me know in the comments below. i’d obviously LOVE to chat! xx
afraid you’ll miss a recipe or entertaining idea? be sure to follow along with plays well with butter on bloglovin. for daily foodie musings & tips, follow along with @playswellwithbutter on instagram & facebook! & for tons of pin-worthy ideas to be the hostess with the mostest, follow plays well with butter on pinterest!Print
for the summer glow bowls
- 4 cups kale, shredded
- 4 cups arugula
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked according to package directions
- 1 ear corn, grilled and kernels removed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 seedless cucumber, diced
- 2 cups mini heirloom tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup matchstick carrots
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives or green onions
for the curry vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- optional: pinch of red chili flakes or cayenne pepper
make the curry vinaigrette
- In a small bowl, whisk together the curry powder and olive oil until combined. Add in the lemon juice, garlic, honey, and salt. Whisk to combine. Taste and add more salt or honey as needed to balance the vinaigrette. You can also add in a pinch of red pepper flake or cayenne pepper for an extra kick of heat!
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. The curry vinaigrette may settle a bit as it rests – just give it a good shake before you drizzle it over a glow bowl!
Assemble the glow bowls
- Prepare the glow bowl ingredients as per the ingredients list above. Cook the quinoa, grill the corn, dice the veggies, etc.
- Add all of the glow bowl ingredients into a large bowl.
- Serving Size: 4
pin these summer glow bowls for later: