THIS POST IS SPONSORED BY
Alexia Foods, who I’m thrilled to partner with in 2022! Alexia’s Sweet Potato Fries with Sea Salt are a dinnertime staple at the PWWB House – you’ll seriously find a few bags in our freezer at all times! Made with the highest-quality ingredients, they bake up quickly & always have the best crisp texture & sweet-savory flavor. All thoughts & opinions are my own.
An Easy Twist on Burger Night: Loaded Chipotle Turkey Burger in a Bowl!
I’m not sure about you, but bowl-style meals are my absolute favorite. And while I’ll never turn down an old-fashioned burger, serving a burger in a bowl is a fun way to reimagine classic burger night. As a bonus, burger bowls are just as easy & pack just as much flavor as a good burger on a bun.
Case in point: Chipotle Turkey Burger Bowls. Central to these bowls are the most flavorful smoky chipotle turkey burgers – these are NOT the dry, crumbly, & bland turkey burgers you may have eaten in the past! Based off of PWWB’s Best-Ever Turkey Burgers, they’re so juicy & get an extra punch of Southwest-inspired flavor from warm spices & smoky chipotle peppers. It may be a lightened-up burger night, but this recipe definitely doesn’t skimp on flavor!
Build your turkey burger bowls with a good handful of greens & all of your favorite fixings. Whatever you do, don’t forget about the fries – it’s not burger night without them! I serve my chipotle turkey burger bowls with one of my all-time favorite weeknight freezer staples, Alexia® Sweet Potato Fries with Sea Salt. Their natural sweetness complements the spicy chipotle turkey burgers perfectly. This smoky-spicy-sweet flavor trifecta is absolutely crave-worthy…so go ahead & add a whole handful of fries straight into your bowl – you won’t regret it!
Southwest Turkey Burger Bowl Recipe Highlights
You’re going to be obsessed with serving a smoky chipotle turkey burger in a bowl because it’s…
- TOTALLY SATISFYING. Turkey burger bowls have a healthy balance of greens & veggies, but they’re still completely crave-worthy & satisfying.
- SUPER CUSTOMIZABLE. Load each turkey burger bowl with your favorite choice of toppings like salsa, cheese, greens, & more.
- QUICK & EASY. A super weeknight-friendly meal made extra easy thanks to pan-fried burgers & convenient Alexia® Sweet Potato Fries with Sea Salt.
No bland & dry turkey burgers here…EVER! ♡ Read on to learn more about how to make Smoky Chipotle Turkey Burger Bowls, or jump straight to the recipe & get cooking!
Note: Full ingredients list & measurements provided in the Recipe Card, below.
This turkey burger bowl recipe is easy & weeknight-friendly. You can make it with just a few key ingredients & staple spices. You need…
Ground turkey – To ensure the burgers are extra-juicy, use ground dark turkey or at least 93% lean meat. These burgers work just as well with ground chicken, so use whatever’s easiest to find!
Sour cream – Fortifying burgers with sour cream is an absolute game-changer – it’s one of my secrets to juicy poultry burgers! Feel free to use mayonnaise or full-fat yogurt for the same effect.
Agave – The sweetness of agave or honey helps balance the smoky & spicy flavors of these chipotle turkey burgers.
Chipotle peppers – These smoked jalapeño peppers are typically packaged in a can with adobo sauce. Finely chop them & add to the burgers for a perfect touch of smoky heat.
Aromatics – Specifically, red onion & garlic. For the best texture, grate them into fine pieces.
Spices – My go-to combination of chili powder, ground cumin, & smoked paprika creates classic Southwest-inspired flavor.
Burger bowl toppings – Have fun with this! I love using fresh greens, grated cheese, pico de gallo or salsa, avocado or guacamole, pickled red onions, chopped cilantro to build the perfect turkey burger bowl. & whatever you do, be sure to finish off your loaded bowl with a handful of Alexia® Sweet Potato Fries with Sea Salt!
Alexia® Sweet Potato Fries with Sea Salt
At any point in time, I have at least 3 bags of Alexia fries & potato puffs in my freezer. The quality of their frozen potatoes is amazing & Alexia® Sweet Potato Fries with Sea Salt, in particular, are perfect for a health-forward lunch or dinner.
I know you’ll love them just as much as we do because they’re…
- a “no-brainer” side dish. ⇢ Alexia has done all the prep work! Take them straight of the freezer on even the busiest weeknights & bake them up to crispy-tender perfection in less than 25 minutes.
- seriously high-quality. ⇢ The entire Alexia® Foods portfolio is non-GMO with transparent sourcing & preparation at the core of everything they do. As a foodie, I 100% believe that this commitment to quality comes through in both the flavor & textures of their products.
- perfectly sweet-savory. ⇢ Their natural sweetness is balanced with the perfect amount of sea salt, helping create a crave-worthy trifecta smoky-spicy-sweet flavor in chipotle turkey burger bowls.
Grab a bag (or 3!) next time you’re at the store! ⇢ You can find Alexia fries in the freezer section of most grocery stores, or see where Alexia is in-stock near you.
How to Make the Perfect Smoky Chipotle Turkey Burger Bowl
You are going to love how quickly this turkey burger bowl recipe comes together – easy weeknight cooking at its finest!
Full Recipe Directions, including step-by-step photos, are included in the Recipe Card, below.
Bake the sweet potato fries. SO easy thanks to Alexia! Take a bag of Alexia® Sweet Potato Fries with Sea Salt out of the freezer & bake according to package directions. This usually only takes about 20 minutes – so simple! Tips for the best baked fries! ⇢ Be sure to bake the fries on a large baking sheet with enough room for the fries to space out. Shake the pan halfway through to keep everything evenly crisp.
Mix & form chipotle turkey burgers. Start preparing the burgers as the oven preheats for the fries so everything finishes cooking around the same time. Mix the ground turkey, sour cream, chipotle pepper, & aromatics in a large bowl. Use your hands to gently mix & then form into 8 quarter-inch thick patties. Why? ⇢ Since poultry burgers are prone to drying out, the quicker cook time of smaller slider-style patties helps ensure the burgers stay totally juicy & tender.
Cook the burgers. Pan-fry the chipotle turkey burger patties for a quick cooking process. Simply heat some oil in a pan & cook the burgers for a few minutes per side, until a nicely browned crust forms & the turkey cooks through.
Turkey burger bowl assembly! Start with a large bed of greens & nestle in the chipotle turkey burger patty. Top with baked Alexia® Sweet Potato Fries with Sea Salt & finish with whatever toppings you love most! Favorite toppings for chipotle turkey burger bowls include…
- Cheese! I love shredded cheddar or pepper jack.
- Fresh pico de gallo or your favorite store-bought salsa
- Avocado. Simply dice it up, or prep a quick batch of guacamole
- Tangy, perfect pickled red onions
- Finely chopped cilantro & lime wedges to squeeze over everything!
*Bonus Recipe! Chipotle Lime Crema
Homemade chipotle lime crema is a must-have topping for any turkey burger bowl! It has the same spicy kick as the burgers but adds a creamy coolness that balances every bite. To streamline the recipe, all the crema ingredients are already used in the chipotle turkey burger – sour cream, chipotle peppers, lime, garlic, agave, & spices. Simply blend them together! Check the Recipe Card, below, for measurements & step-by-step directions.
Burger in a Bowl Recipe Tips & Easy Variations
How to keep turkey burgers juicy. ⇢ It all comes down to using the right ingredients. 2, in particular, play an essential role:
- Use dark meat or 93% lean ground turkey. Fat = juiciness, so skip the extra lean stuff here. To make a juicy chipotle turkey burger, look for 93% lean ground turkey (at least). If you can find 85-90% that’s even better!
- Fortify the meat with sour cream. My chipotle turkey burger secret ingredient! The littlest bit lends richness to the turkey burgers, preventing them from drying out as they cook. Mayonnaise or full-fat yogurt also work well if it’s what you have on hand!
How to make dairy-free turkey burgers. ⇢ Swapping sour cream for mayonnaise in the chipotle turkey burger patties is an easy way to keep this recipe dairy-free. If you want to add a drizzle of chipotle lime creaminess to your turkey burger bowl, try my dairy-free Vegan Cashew Crema instead (it includes a chipotle lime flavor variation that works perfectly here!).
Turkey burger bowl recipe meal prep tips! ⇢ This turkey burger bowl recipe is already pretty quick, but you can make things even easier by prepping the burger mixture ahead of time. After forming the chipotle turkey burger patties, separate them with a piece of wax or parchment paper & store them in the fridge for up to 3 days. Check the Recipe Notes, below, for more meal prep tips!
I can’t wait for you to try these Smoky Chipotle Turkey Burger Bowls with Sweet Potato Fries! They’re an extra-fun way to spice up any night of the week. If you do give them a try, be sure to let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @playswellwithbutter on Instagram. I LOVE hearing about & seeing your PWWB creations! ♡ Happy cooking!
More Recipes Like This:
Easy Bowl-Style Meals
- Glow Bowls – Nourishing Grilled Chicken & Quinoa Grain Bowls with Curry Vinaigrette.
- Easy Hummus Bowls with Chicken Shawarma (or Veggie Shawarma!)
- BBQ Chicken Bowls with Grilled Veggies
- Ahi Tuna Poke Bowls
- Salmon Taco Bowls with Cilantro Ginger Green Sauce
- Hearty Buffalo Chicken Bowls with Herby Ranch Yogurt Drizzle
- Soy-Glazed Seared Salmon Rice Bowls with Namasu
Chipotle Turkey Burger Bowls with Sweet Potato Fries
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: serves 4
- Category: Entree Salad & Bowl Recipes, Sandwiches & Burgers, Main Dishes
- Method: Stovetop, Baked
- Cuisine: American, Mexican & Tex-Mex
- Diet: Gluten Free
These Chipotle Turkey Burger Bowls with Sweet Potato Fries are smoky-spicy-sweet & absolutely perfect in every way. Plus, they’re quick to make & always super satisfying – my ideal weeknight dinner!
Thanks to a few smart ingredients, the chipotle turkey burgers are extra juicy & flavorful. Simply mix & form the patties, then pan-fry for a golden brown finish.
I suggest serving them ‘burger in a bowl’ style, with all the fixings: fresh greens, pico de gallo or salsa, avocado, pickled red onions, & a generous side of baked Alexia® Sweet Potato Fries with Sea Salt, which creates a perfect smoky-spicy-sweet trifecta of flavor. Finish with a good drizzle of chipotle lime crema, which is easy to mix up using ingredients that you already used in the chipotle turkey burgers.
Be sure to check the Recipe Notes, below, for easy variations & meal prep tips!
- one 15-ounce bag Alexia® Sweet Potato Fries with Sea Salt
- 1 pound 93% lean ground turkey or chicken
- 1/2 small red onion, peeled & grated
- 2 chipotle peppers (from a can, packed in adobo sauce), finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (see Recipe Notes)
- 1 tablespoon agave or honey
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt & ground black pepper, to season
- for serving, as desired: mixed greens or finely shredded lettuce, chipotle lime crema (below), shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese, pico de gallo or salsa of choice, diced avocado or guacamole, pickled red onions, finely chopped cilantro, lime wedges, etc.
for the chipotle lime crema:
- 1/2 cup sour cream (see Recipe Notes)
- 4 chipotle peppers (from a can, packed in adobo sauce), finely chopped
- 1 lime, zested & juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 teaspoon agave or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- kosher salt & ground black pepper, to season
- Bake the sweet potato fries: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F, ensuring a rack is positioned in the center of the oven. Place the Alexia® Sweet Potato Fries with Sea Salt on a large baking sheet, taking care to arrange them such that they’re in a single layer. Bake 18-22 minutes, or to desired color & crispness, shaking the pan halfway through. Remove from the oven & set aside for serving.
- Mix & form the chipotle turkey burger patties: Meanwhile, as the oven preheats & the fries bake, prep the chipotle turkey burgers. Add the ground turkey, grated onion, chipotle peppers, garlic, sour cream, agave, chili powder, ground cumin, & smoked paprika to a large bowl. Season with 1 teaspoon kosher salt & ground black pepper as desired. Using your hands, mix until just combined. Overworking the turkey burger mixture leads to tough burgers – take care not to overmix! The mixture will be very wet – this is expected & intended! Divide the mixture into 8 even portions, forming each into a 1/2-inch thick burger patty. If needed or desired, spritz a little bit of olive oil on your hands to make handling the burger patties easier. Transfer to a plate & set aside.
- Prep the chipotle lime crema: Combine all listed crema ingredients in a small bowl. Season with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt & ground black pepper as desired. Stir to combine well. For an extra smooth & creamy crema, combine all ingredients in a wide mouth jar & use an immersion blender to mix it all together. Taste & adjust seasonings as desired. Set aside or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Cook the turkey burgers: Add the olive oil to a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot & shimmering, add the turkey burger patties. Work in batches, as needed, to avoid overcrowding the skillet. Cook 3-4 minutes per side, until cooked through with a nicely browned crust. Transfer to a plate & set aside for serving.
- Assemble the chipotle turkey burger bowls & serve: Build your burger bowls as desired. I like to create a large bed of greens, nestling the chipotle turkey burger patties & baked Alexia® Sweet Potato Fries with Sea Salt over top with a little smashed avocado, pickled red onions, & shredded cheese to the side. Finish with a big drizzle of chipotle lime crema & enjoy!
- Sour cream swaps: For the burgers, feel free to swap sour cream with an equal amount of mayonnaise (dairy-free) or full-fat yogurt. For the crema, swap the sour cream with yogurt or try my Vegan Cashew Crema for a dairy-free sauce (chipotle lime flavor variation detailed in the blog post).
- Storage & Reheating: Store leftover chipotle turkey burgers & sweet potato fries in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave until warmed through, then assemble chipotle turkey burger bowls as desired.
- 10-20 Minute Meal Prep: Nearly all of the active prep work for these chipotle turkey burger bowls comes from prepping the burger patties & crema. Prep them in advance to cut down on active prep at dinnertime. Since both components use a similar ingredients list, it’ll take 20 minutes, tops:
- Mix & form the chipotle turkey burger patties according to Step 2 of Recipe Directions, above. Transfer the formed patties to an airtight container, separating them with a piece of wax or parchment paper. Refrigerate for up to 3 days. (10 minutes active prep)
- Prep the chipotle lime crema according to Step 3 of Recipe Directions, above. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. (10 minutes active prep)
Keywords: chipotle turkey burger bowls with sweet potato fries recipe, burger in a bowl recipe, burger bowl recipe
Recipe & Food Styling by Jess Larson, Plays Well With Butter | Photography by Rachel Cook, Half Acre House.
Follow along with Plays Well With Butter on Instagram, Facebook, & Pinterest for more easy, modern recipes & fun!
I made this tonight. It needs a warning: incredibly spicy! Great idea though but I’ll be leaving out nearly all of the chipotle next time.
Hey Kelly! So sorry it was a little spicier than expected – definitely adjust the chipotle added next time for less heat. We always encourage making adjustments to fit your preference! 🙂
I made these last night and WOW there was so much flavor! Usually turkey burgers dry out really easily and lack flavor, but these were the total opposite – super moist and the perfect amount of spice. I served them with the Alexia fries over a salad and it was perfect 🤩 even my 15 month old gobbled them up!
Ellie thank you so much for dropping a comment, we are so glad to hear that! Alexia Sweet Potato Fries are always such a good add-on & we love that the whole family enjoyed!!
Made these tonight for dinner. Turned out good even though added olive oil to turkey burger mixture, but too late when realized was a mistake! Hubby loved it!
Hi Tricia! So glad they were a hit – thank you so much for sharing!!
I just bought everything I needed to make these! Saturday night dinner here we come! They look and sound absolutely delicious,
Hey Deb! Awesome, I love to hear it! Be sure to report back and let me know how it goes – can’t wait to hear what you think!