The creamiest ever homemade roasted butternut squash hummus, loaded with roasted butternut squash & roasted garlic. This roasted butternut squash hummus is perfect for a game day spread or a holiday party!
this, right here, is a snackcident waiting to happen.
yes. a snackcident.
you know. when you come home at 5 pm and dinner isn’t for a couple of hours but you’re kind of dying of hunger and you look around to see what you can just take a few bites of to hold you over & you find a tub of hummus & a bag of baby carrots (HAH & by baby carrots you know i actually mean a box of pita chips) & you eat a couple of bites & it turns into a couple more & that turns into a couple more until (whoops!) you’re scraping every last inch of the bottom of the tub & you realize you have eaten an ENTIRE tub of hummus?
& you think to yourself “shit. that was not supposed to happen.” but you also kind of think to yourself “well, damn that’s pretty impressive, i deserve some wine” so you pour yourself a fat glass of wine & dive onto the couch for some primetime shonda rhimes drama & do the damn thang.
yeah. i know you know exactly what i mean. don’t you hate (HAH & by hate i mean LOVE.) when that happens?
good. i’m glad we’re on the same page.
real talk: roasted butternut squash hummus is major snackcident material.
yessssss. like, major, major yesssssss.
i’ve been dying to share this roasted butternut squash hummus with you, ever since i first tested this recipe! it is honestly the creamiest hummus i’ve ever made. the texture is ahhhhmazing, & it is loaded with the flavor of roasted garlic & roasted butternut squash.
creamy, dreamy, full-of-toasty-fall-flavors?
yes, yes, yes.
roasted butternut squash hummus has been the obsession in the pwwb house all fall long so far. i like to top it with pepitas & pomegranates (so pretty!), & a little sprinkle of finely chopped fresh rosemary (the hearty flavor is the perfect pair to roasted garlic & squash). it’s, of course, delicious with pita chips but i also love serving roasted butternut squash hummus with sliced apples. it’s the kind of salty-sweet thing that is totally, completely addictive.
you’re going to absolutely love it!
this roasted butternut squash is:
- loaded with butternut squash. like. looooooaded. we’re talkin’ 4-5 cups of squash. i originally tested this recipe with half the amount of squash & the flavor just got a little lost between the roasted garlic, the tahini, & the chickpeas. you should be good to go if you buy a mediumish-sized whole butternut squash…but honestly, i suggest just grabbing 2 bags of the precut butternut squash from trader joe’s. doesn’t get easier than that.
- so easy to make. the recipe for this roasted butternut squash hummus may seem a leeettle intimidating because it takes about 45 minutes, but that’s honestly 85% inactive cooking time as the squash & garlic roasts. once they’re roasted to caramelized perfection, the food processor does all of the work to make this creamy, dreamy dip. so easy!
- perfect for fall gatherings & holiday parties. roasted butternut squash will seriously make you the star of the party this entertaining season. it’s the perfect addition to a football party spread, & will also be perfect for friendsgiving, thanksgiving, & christmas gatherings just around the corner. everyone will ask for the recipe, promise!
oh, & don’t worry. it’s also perfect for eating straight out of the tub at 5 pm when dinner isn’t for a couple of hours but you’re kind of dying of hunger & you need just a few bites of something to hold you over. ?
snackcidents 4 lyfe.
if you love this roasted butternut squash hummus, here are some other recipes you’ll love!
- white bean pesto hummus
- the best ever guacamole. (seriously.)
- skillet chicken parmesan meatballs
- all pwwb apps & snacks
so…tell me. what’s your snackcident food of choice? have you ever made homemade hummus? who in your life would looove this roasted butternut squash hummus?
afraid you’ll miss a recipe or entertaining idea? be sure to follow along with plays well with butter on bloglovin. for daily foodie musings & tips, follow along with @playswellwithbutter on instagram & facebook! & for tons of pin-worthy ideas to be the hostess with the mostest, follow plays well with butter on pinterest!Print
the creamiest ever homemade roasted butternut squash hummus, loaded with roasted butternut squash & roasted garlic. this roasted butternut squash hummus is perfect for a game day spread or a holiday party!
- 4–5 cups butternut squash, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup ice water
- salt & ground black pepper, to season
- optional, for serving: extra olive oil, pomegranate arils, toasted pepitas, finely chopped fresh rosemary, sliced apple, pita chips
Roast the butternut squash & garlic
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place the cubed butternut squash in a large bowl and drizzle with 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp ground pepper. Toss to coat evenly & spread out on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Place the cloves of garlic in a small piece of tin foil and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sprinkle with a few pinches each salt & ground black pepper. Encase the garlic with the foil, sealing it tightly. Place the foil pack on the baking sheet with the squash.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes, or until the squash is roasted and very tender. You should be able to easily smash it with a fork.
Prepare the hummus
- To the bowl of a food processor, add the roasted butternut squash, roasted garlic, and chickpeas. Pulse a few times to break everything up into small pieces. Add in the lemon juice, tahini, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and turn the food processor on.
- With the processor running, slowly add in the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil. Allow the processor to run for a good 2-3 minutes. The hummus will still have small chunks, but definitely have a creamy hummus texture.
- With the processor running, slowly add the ice water 1 tablespoon at a time. This is when the hummus will begin to really smooth out. Add more/less water until the desired texture is reached.
- Serve the roasted butternut squash hummus in a bowl topped with an extra drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle of finely chopped fresh rosemary, pomegranate arils, and pepitas. Serve with pita chips or apples. Enjoy!
- Store this roasted butternut squash in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Serving Size: 8