Hello, hello, & welcome back to Plays Well With Butter soup month!
Here on PWWB, February is all about cozy, comforting soup. so far we’ve talked about my favorite hearty minestrone soup recipe, one of my favorite family recipes – instant pot hawaiian beef stew, & my take on chicken tortilla soup (& it’s totally weeknight friendly!).
& If you ask me, no month dedicated to cozy & delicious soups would be complete without soup’s carbalicious partner-in-crime: crusty bread. so that’s what we’re doing today! fancy homemade bread, made easy af…
An Easy Bread Recipe to Make You Feel Fancy AF: Italian Herb Asiago Cheese No-Knead Bread
Oh HELLO crusty, warm, makes-your-kitchen-smell-like-heaven lover. Easy AF & fancy AF homemade bread. We. Are. Doin’. It!!!
When I was planning out recipes for soup month, I knew that a homemade no-knead bread would have to be thrown into the line-up. In our house, no soup night is complete without a slice of warm & buttery perfectly crusty bread. & If I’m on my A-game (meaning I’m planning things out at least 12 hours in advance…), I’m sure to whip up a loaf of no-knead bread.
I’ll preface this by saying I am not a baker. Not in the slightest. So if you’re feeling all “homemade bread? too fancy!!! I can’t do that!” right now, let’s push those feelings aside.
I’ll walk you through the whole process step by step in just a sec, but for now, just trust me: if I can do it, you can totally do it too!!! (Double pinky swear.)
I’ve been making homemade no-knead breads for a few years now (exhibit a: No-Knead Spicy Cheese Bread) & they never cease to amaze me. For something that’s as simple literally stirring together flour, yeast & water to turn into the most glorious bakery-worthy loaf of golden & crusty bread…it’s pretty much magic. This no-knead bread recipe is made even more magical with the addition of two of the simplest ingredients:
- Some italian seasoning, &
- A generous handful of shaved asiago (or parmesan!) cheese
The asiago creates pockets of melty, cheesy goodness all throughout the loaf, & the Italian seasoning adds a punch of garlicky, herbaceous flavor to every single bite.
…& if you could even believe it, things are about to get even dreamier…this Italian Herb Asiago Cheese No-Knead Bread couldn’t be easier to make!
Easy, cheesy, yes please-y! ♡ Read on to learn more about this Italian Herb Asiago Cheese No-Knead Bread, or jump straight to the recipe & get cookin’!
The Key to Making Crusty Bread at Home = A Dutch Oven!
Making a loaf of Italian Herb Asiago No-Knead Bread can really be broken down into 3 simple steps:
- Prep the dough
- Devour the bread (obviously.)
It’s really as simple as that!
First, you will prep the dough. Making any no-knead bread takes a little bit of planning, since the dough will need to sit for at least 12 hours to rise before you bake it off. This is known as “long fermentation” & is what allows the gluten in the dough to develop since we’re not kneading this dough. (No-knead, remember?!)
Good news is, prepping the dough for this Italian herb asiago cheese no-knead bread is truly a 5-minute, one-bowl task: add some flour, Italian seasoning, kosher salt, yeast, asiago cheese & water to a large bowl & stir to combine.
That’s it! Even if you barely remembered about your plans to bake no-knead bread the following day until the moment you are ready to turn in for the night (been there!), you can still whip up your dough in 5 minutes flat.
After 12 hours, the dough will have risen into a beautifully puffy dough ball & you’ll be ready to bake your Italian herb asiago cheese no-knead bread!
The secret to achieving the perfect crust on this Italian herb asiago cheese no-knead bread lies baking it in a roaring hot dutch oven. About 30 minutes before you want to bake your bread, pop your dutch oven into the oven. Providing the dutch oven time to heat thoroughly & evenly creates the most beautiful crust while baking the bread.
Halfway through baking, I like to lightly mist the loaf with some olive oil spray, which helps it develop an even richer golden color as it finishes baking.
& if you’re feeling a little extra? Sprinkle a little flaky sea salt over top. It adds the tiniest bit of addictively salty crunch to the bread. So seriously simple, but sooo seriously good.
Less than one hour later, you’ll have a golden hot loaf of crusty homemade bread & your kitchen will smell like homemade bread heaven. If life gets better than that, I don’t even know how!
Serving Italian Herb Asiago Cheese No-Knead Bread
Once you realize how easy it is to make, you’ll be obsessed with having a loaf of homemade Italian herb asiago cheese no-knead bread on hand at all times, which is totally fine considering how versatile it is.
You can enjoy this Italian herb asiago cheese no-knead bread…
- On its own (might i suggest a smear of butter & a sprinkling of flaky sea salt?!)
- Dunked in a cozy bowl of soup (it pairs perfectly with my hearty minestrone soup recipe – pictured here!, & my lightened-up Italian wedding soup – recipe coming tomorrow!)
- Served with a big bowl of pasta (hellooo lamb ragu, turkey bolognese, & marsala pasta!)
- Along with your favorite antipasti spread
- Sandwiched around your fave fillings for the ultimate Italian sandwich
…the possibilities are seriously endless!
& endless possibilities + easy AF homemade bread? That’s pretty much magic if you ask me (told ya I double pinky swear).
I’m convinced Italian herb cheese bread makes the world go ’round! If you do give it a try, be sure to let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @playswellwithbutter on Instagram. I LOVE hearing about & seeing your PWWB creations!Print
Italian Herb Asiago Cheese No-Knead Bread, prepped in less than 10 minutes active time & baked to crusty, golden perfection in a dutch oven! made with only 5 pantry ingredients, this homemade Italian herb asiago cheese bread couldn’t be easier to throw together, & is perfect to serve with any of your favorite soups for a totally cozy dinner this winter!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup shaved Asiago cheese (or parmesan cheese!)
- 1 ½ cups lukewarm water
- optional: olive oil spray, flaky sea salt
- Make the Italian herb asiago cheese no-knead bread dough: About 12 hours before you’d like to bake your Italian herb Asiago cheese no-knead bread, make the dough. In a large bowl, combine the flour, Italian seasoning, Kosher salt, & active dry yeast. Whisk to combine. Add the Asiago, stirring to combine. Slowly & gradually pour in the lukewarm water, mixing the dough with a wooden spoon until just combined. The dough will look shaggy & will be very sticky at this point – & that’s totally fine! Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel & let rest in a warm, dry place for 12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees about 30 minutes before you are ready to bake Italian herb Asiago cheese no-knead bread. Make sure one of the oven’s racks is positioned in the middle of the oven, & place an oven-safe dutch oven (at least 4-quart) on the rack, with its lid on, to heat along with the oven while it preheats. Once the oven is preheated, let the dutch oven sit in the hot oven for 20 minutes longer to really make sure it’s up to temperature – I literally set a cook timer for 20 minutes once the oven is preheated.
- Prep the dough: Meanwhile, as the oven preheats, transfer the Italian herb Asiago cheese no-knead bread dough to a large piece of parchment paper. I like to quickly spritz my hands with nonstick cooking spray – it makes it so much easier to handle the dough without it sticking to your hands!
- Bake the Italian herb asiago cheese no-knead bread: Once the dutch oven is up to temperature, very carefully remove it from the oven. Quickly & carefully remove the lid of the dutch oven, place the dough inside (you can just drop the parchment paper right in!), put the lid back on the dutch oven, & place the dutch oven back into the oven. Bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the dutch oven from the oven. Remove the lid and spray the top of the Italian herb asiago cheese no-knead bread generously with olive oil spray. Sprinkle some flaky sea salt over top, as desired. Return the dutch oven to the oven & bake, uncovered, for an additional 20 minutes, or until the loaf is crusty & golden brown (see photos above for reference).
- Serve: Carefully remove the bread from the dutch oven – you can just lift the parchment paper right out of the dutch oven. Allow to cool slightly before slicing or tearing the bread. Enjoy!
- Serving: Italian herb asiago cheese no-knead bread is best served when dunked in your favorite cozy bowl of soup! I highly suggest pairing it with this hearty minestrone soup (pictured) or with lightened-up Italian wedding soup. A match made in heaven!
- Dutch oven: A nice Dutch oven is absolutely essential to make this no-knead bread. This is the Dutch oven pictured in this post. I love it. I also own this Dutch oven, which is a little more budget friendly & works great!
- This Italian herb asiago cheese no-knead bread is adapted from my no-knead spicy cheese bread recipe.
Keywords: italian herb asiago cheese no-knead bread, no-knead bread