perfect for an easy, on-the-go breakfast, this healthy mocha protein smoothie is a snap to make, is packed of protein & fiber to keep you full until lunch, & comes with the kind of caffeine buzz that’s the perfect way to start the day!
there are two kinds of people in the world: early birds & night owls.
i happen to be a total morning person; i always have been (yes, even in college!), & i think i always will be.
the quiet morning hours are just so calm & peaceful. there’s something that’s just soothing about knowing that the rest of the world is fast asleep & that there’s a whole day of opportunity in front of you. i get some of my best thinking done in the morning & i’m always most productive during this quiet time.
weekend mornings are for my luxurious & self-indulgent me time. i live for saturday mornings when i can tip-toe out of bed at 5 am, brew myself a pot of piping hot coffee, wrap myself in my favorite cozy blanket, & snuggle up on our sofa to quietly watch something on hulu or casually scroll through pinterest. these couple of hours to relax & enjoy the peaceful quiet keep me calm & centered throughout the day.
weekday mornings, on the other hand, aren’t quite as luxurious but are wonderful nonetheless. my hubby & i usually wake up early to take a walk together around the lake that’s near our house. this time together has become something of a ritual in our marriage & i love having the opportunity to have uninterrupted quality time with chris for 45 minutes in the fresh air before the madness of the day sets in.
by the time we get back & get ready for work, though, we’re hustling out the door to start the day at our 9-5s.
weekday breakfasts, as such, have to meet three criteria in our house:
1. come together quickly (like really quickly) & be portable enough to enjoy on the go.
2. be loaded with protein & fiber to hold you over through the morning.
3. involve a serious caffeine buzz to jump-start the work day.
enter this mocha protein smoothie.
requiring nothing more than some cold coffee, a frozen banana, ice, oats, & your favorite chocolate protein powder, this mocha protein smoothie is my go-to weekday breakfast.
& confession: i have a mocha protein smoothie for breakfast every day (yes. every single day.)
it’s so easy, healthy & delicious i can’t help myself! a mocha protein smoothie comes together in less than 3 minutes (even faster if you take the time to make smoothie packs of protein powder & oats while you’re meal prepping over the weekend!). you can pour it into your favorite travel tumbler & be on your way.
when it comes to protein powders, aloha protein powders are my favorite. aloha has a plant-based blend with flavors that taste super natural & are not overly-sweetened. aloha’s true chocolate protein is the perfect addition to a mocha protein smoothie.
the banana & oats give the smoothie great body & creaminess. the richness of the coffee & chocolate protein powder complement each other perfectly. the fiber in the oats & the protein powder work together to keep you feeling full, fueled up, & satisfied throughout the morning. & the coffee will be just what you need to take on the day!
pour one up for yourself & see!
what’s your favorite on-the-go breakfast? do you stick to your tried & true favorites, or try to change things up every few days? i’d love to chat! let me know in the comments below!
- 1 C cold coffee
- 1 banana, sliced & frozen
- 1/4 C rolled oats
- 1 serving chocolate protein powder of choice
- 1 C ice
- add cold coffee, frozen banana, rolled oats, & protein powder in high-speed blender & blend for one minute until banana is blended & mixture is smooth.
- add ice & blend for another minute until smooth & creamy.
to make this mocha protein smoothie come together even faster
- brew 1 big pot of coffee on sunday while you meal prep & store in the fridge for smoothie coffee all week long.
- freeze slice & freeze banana ahead of time. i usually buy bananas in bulk when they’re on sale & pre-portion them into single-serving baggies in my freezer.
- you can also pre-portion the dry ingredients in jars or baggies that contain the exact amount of oats & protein powder you need to eliminate measuring in the morning. just dump & go!
- Serving Size: 1