The easiest Mini Flourless Chocolate Cake recipe, made with only 5 ingredients. These individual flourless chocolate cakes are amazingly light & fudgy all at once, & perfect served with salted caramel, fresh whipped cream, & raspberries. An impressive & elegant dessert for Valentine’s Day date nights or Galentine’s Day gatherings – no one even has to know how easy they were to whip up!
Well, would you look at that sexy little number?! Seriously drool-worthy, right?
I’m SO excited to take a quick pause from cold weather dinners (Ahem…soups & stews!) today to share with you this recipe for Mini Flourless Chocolate Cake right in time for any Valentine’s Day or Galentine’s Day celebrations you’ve got planned in the next week.
I mean chocolate + Valentine’s Day – does February get much better than that?!
An easy flourless chocolate cake recipe: 5-ingredient Mini Flourless Chocolate Cake
Where my choco-holics at?
Today’s your day because this Mini Flourless Chocolate Cake recipe is the ULTIMATE richly chocolatey dessert.
Not to be dramatic, but I kinda die for these Mini Flourless Chocolate Cakes. I’m OBSESSED. can you blame me?!
Mini Flourless Chocolate Cake, how I love you…let me count the ways…
First & foremost, these Mini Flourless Chocolate Cakes are undeniably chocolatey. I am a total chocoholic, especially when it comes to special occasion desserts, & these Mini Flourless Chocolate Cakes absolutely deliver on the chocolate factor. They’re made with dark chocolate & one super secret ingredient that helps intensify the chocolate flavor…I’ll tell you more about that in a sec!
Second, the texture of these Mini Flourless Chocolate Cakes is unreeeeeal. unlike lots of flourless chocolate cake recipes, which I find to be almost brownie-like, this mini flourless chocolate cake recipe creates the most light & fluffy chocolate cake. Yes, they’re definitely still rich & fudgy, but these Mini Flourless Chocolate Cakes have a lightness about them that makes you feel like they’re cake (vs. a brownie).
& last? They’re SO easy to whip up. seriously, truly easy. I promise. You only need 5 pantry ingredients & 10 minutes of active prep time to whip up a batch of Mini Flourless Chocolate Cakes. They’re so gorgeous & elegant enough for your most special occasions, but no one will even suspect how easy they were to make. (Isn’t that the best?!)
What is flourless chocolate cake made of?
One of my favorite parts of this Mini Flourless Chocolate Cake recipe is how simple it is to whip up, especially because it calls for ingredients you probably always have on hand in your kitchen:
- dark chocolate
- & salt
That’s seriously it!
Because the ingredients list is so minimal & chocolate is such an important part of these flourless chocolate cakes, it’s important to use the best quality chocolate you can. I really love these ghirardelli chocolate intense dark baking bars. You could use dark chocolate chips if that’s what you have on hand, but I usually opt for freshly chopped dark chocolate. It melts easier, & there’s just something that’s so therapeutic about chopping chocolate!
Lastly…if you’re open to adding one extra ingredient in your Mini Flourless Chocolate Cake batter, I highly recommend throwing some instant coffee granules into the mix.
Thanks to queen Ina, instant coffee is one of my favorite super secret flavor ingredients whenever I bake with chocolate. It won’t make your Mini Flourless Chocolate Cakes taste like coffee at all, but it will sort of magically intensify their chocolatey flavor. I always make sure I keep some on hand to toss into any chocolatey treats I whip up – a jar seriously lasts forevvvver!
How to make Mini Flourless Chocolate Cake
I know I’ve said this about a million times already, but Mini Flourless Chocolate Cake could seriously not be easier to make.
SERIOUSLY! They are EASY, EASY, EASY.
I feel the need to shout it from the rooftops because they do end up looking so elegant & impressive, but there is no need to be intimidated by them. All you need to do is:
- melt the chocolate.
- beat the eggs.
- fold the batter.
I promise: You. Can. Do. It!!!!
The most important part of making this Mini Flourless Chocolate Cake recipe is making sure you whip enough air into the eggs. It’s crucial, for a couple of reasons.
First, this recipe does not call for any leavener, so properly whipping the eggs is what allows these Mini Flourless Chocolate Cakes to rise as they bake. Second, the air you whip into the Mini Flourless Chocolate Cake batter helps make the batter super light, which is what ultimately gives these cakes their dreamy light & fluffy texture.
To beat the eggs, simply pop them into the bowl an electric mixer with the granulated sugar & let the mixer run for 2-3 minutes. The sugar will dissolve into the eggs, & the mixture will gradually get frothy & turn a very pale yellow. you can use a stand mixer or a hand mixer – either will work. This step does take a solid 2-3 minutes, so just be patient & let the mixer do its thing.
From there, all you have to do is fold the melted chocolate & butter mixture into the egg mixture, pour the batter into buttered ramekins, & bake.
Seriously…the easiest chocolate cake recipe ever!
How to serve Mini Flourless Chocolate Cakes
Once the Mini Flourless Chocolate Cakes are baked, the fun really begins: you get to serve & devour them!
When it comes to serving, you can really do whatever you want to make these Mini Flourless Chocolate Cakes your own. Serve them warm or chilled. Top them with berries & powdered sugar, or ice cream, or just enjoy them plain. Seriously, whatever floats your boat!
Inspired by my favorite restaurant here in Minneapolis, I top my Mini Flourless Chocolate Cake with a drizzle of good salted caramel, a dollop of fresh whipped cream, & a dusting of dried raspberry powder (simply take some freeze-dried raspberries & crush them over the mini flourless chocolate cake with your hands) & some flaky sea salt to take it totally over the top!
The combination of flavors is simply insane: fudgy dark chocolate, bittersweet notes of good salted caramel, & the bright, punchy concentrated flavor of dried raspberries. The whipped cream adds some creaminess to every bite, & those raspberries add the perfect little bit of crunch to an otherwise soft dessert.
It’s so easy to pull together, & makes these Mini Flourless Chocolate Cakes feel so freaking special for Valentine’s Day or any special occasion.
How long does Mini Flourless Chocolate Cake keep?
Because these Mini Flourless Chocolate Cakes are so moist & fudgy, they keep very, very well. You can easily make them a few days in advance, or savor any leftover mini flourless chocolate cake later.
To store, allow the cakes to cool completely before transferring to your favorite airtight container (these are mine!). If you want your Mini Flourless Chocolate Cake to keep its light & fluffy texture, store them at room temperature. If you’re okay if they get a little fudgy, the fridge is great too. Mini Flourless Chocolate Cake will keep for 3-4 days at room temperature, or 4-5 days in the fridge.
But, seriously. I doubt they’ll be around for that long! I cannot wait for you to try this Mini Flourless Chocolate Cake recipe ASAP. I’m pretty sure as soon as you do that you’re gonna be just as obsessed as I am.
If you do give them a try, be sure to let me know!: Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @playswellwithbutter on Instagram. I LOVE hearing about & seeing your PWWB creations! Happy cooking! ♡Print
The easiest Mini Flourless Chocolate Cake recipe, made with only 5 ingredients. these individual flourless chocolate cakes are amazingly light & fudgy all at once, & perfect served with salted caramel, fresh whipped cream, & raspberries. An impressive & elegant dessert for Valentine’s Day date nights or Galentine’s Day gatherings – no one even has to know how easy they were to whip up!
- nonstick cooking spray
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- optional: 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules (see Recipe Notes)
- for serving: salted caramel, fresh whipped cream, freeze-dried raspberries, flaky sea salt, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Generously spray 4 8-ounce ramekins with nonstick cooking spray, place on a baking sheet, and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate: Add the chopped chocolate & butter to medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals for 2-3 minutes, mixing well between intervals, until the chocolate is totally melted and smooth.
- Make the flourless chocolate cake batter: Add the eggs, sugar, and salt to a mixing bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat the mixture together, until the eggs are very pale yellow and the sugar & salt are dissolved. This will take 2-3 minutes, so be patient & keep mixing! Temper the egg mixture by folding in about ¼ cup of the warm, melted chocolate, working to ensure the eggs do not scramble. Once combined, gently fold in the remaining chocolate. You want to work carefully here to avoid deflating all of the volume that you just put in the egg mixture!
- Bake the cakes: Transfer the batter into the prepared ramekins. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the edges begin to pull away from the ramekins and the tops are set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the ramekins for a few minutes before running a knife around the edges to loosen the cake before carefully turning the cakes out on to a plate to cool completely.
- Serve as desired, topped with berries, ice cream, or plain. To serve as pictured, check out the Recipe Notes!
- Serving: To serve as pictured, top each mini flourless chocolate cake with salted caramel. You can make your own (this is my go-to recipe) or just grab a jar from the store (I recently stumbled upon this kind & I’m OBSESSED). Top with a few spoonfuls of freshly whipped cream (heavy cream + a sprinkle of powdered sugar whipped together). Finish with a dusting of raspberry dust (simply take some freeze-dried raspberries & crush them over the mini flourless chocolate cake with your hands). Finish with some flaky sea salt to take it totally over the top!
- Only want to serve 2? Easy – feel free to halve the recipe. It’ll work just as well for a perfectly portioned Valentine’s Day treat.
- Instant coffee is one of my favorite super secret flavor ingredients whenever I bake with chocolate. It won’t make your mini flourless chocolate cake taste like coffee, but it will kind of magically intensify its chocolatey flavor. I keep a bottle in my baking pantry at all times for chocolate cakes, mousses & brownies. This is the kind I use!
- Flourless chocolate cake recipe adapted from Tyler Florence.
Keywords: mini flourless chocolate cake, individual flourless chocolate cake, flourless chocolate cake recipe
If you love this Mini Flourless Chocolate Cake recipe, here are a few other amazing dessert recipes you have to try!
- Another favorite chocolate treat: Dark Chocolate Peppermint Brownies
- Or the ultimate chocolate cookie: Bittersweet Chocolate Cookies
- Perfect for Galentine’s brunch! Raspberry Dark Chocolate Chunk Scones
- Or this one too! Mini Chai Scones with Maple Chai Glaze
- A fun winter treat: Dirty Chai Affogato
- All PWWB Dessert Recipes & Sweets