THIS POST IS SPONSORED BY
Bread & Butter Wines, who share our belief that the good things in life do not need to be complicated. Their deliciously crisp California Sauvignon Blanc is one of my go-to wines for cooking & sipping alike! All thoughts & opinions are my own.
Navigate This Post
A Bright & Beautiful Chicken Skillet Dinner FTW!
The convenience of a skillet dinner is pretty unbeatable. 🙌🏼 While one pan is definitely the ideal amount of dishes to wash, the best thing about skillet recipes like this one is how every last layer of flavor builds upon the other. A flavor-obsessed home cook’s dream!
This one-pan recipe combines pan-seared chicken breasts, asparagus, & artichoke hearts for an unfussy dinner. The true magic happens in the oven – as everything roasts, a beautiful pan sauce develops from an easy mix of lemon butter & white wine. The result is simple yet stunning! 🤩
If homemade lemon butter sounds like a bit of a project, please don’t let this detail intimidate you. It’s a simple compound butter that’s so easy to throw together – no churning required! Our friends at Bread & Butter Wines have a collection of delicious flavored butter recipes that you can quickly whip up in a food processor. Their easy lemon butter recipe is what makes this recipe so effortlessly delicious.
All you need is a glass of California Sauvignon Blanc & big piece of crusty bread to soak up the lemon butter sauce, & dinner is served – easy as that!
Skillet Artichoke Chicken Recipe Highlights
You will love this easy skillet dinner! It’s…
BRIGHT & BUTTERY. Brown the chicken breasts in an easy-to-make homemade lemon butter for tons of flavor. With a splash of light & bright white wine, its lemony richness transforms into a simple pan sauce that tastes seriously restaurant-worthy. Lemon & wine are a classic pairing for a reason!
FRESH & FEEL-GOOD. This skillet chicken with artichokes & asparagus is loaded with veggies & finished with fresh basil. Serve it over a pile of rice or with a piece of crusty bread for a simple & satisfying meal.
WEEKNIGHT-FRIENDLY. This hands-off chicken artichoke recipe uses only one pan & is ready in about 30 minutes start-to-finish. Sit back with a glass of wine & let the oven do all the work! 🙌🏼
An instant classic in the making! 🍋 ♡ Read on to learn more about how to make this Lemon Butter Chicken Skillet with Artichoke Hearts and Asparagus, or jump straight to the recipe & get cooking!
By using timeless pairings like lemon & white wine, this easy recipe proves how simple flavors can create something really special. It all comes together with just 8 ingredients!
Note: Full ingredients list & measurements provided in the Recipe Card, below.
- Chicken – We use boneless, skinless chicken breasts in this recipe & love how the buttery lemon wine pan sauce keeps them nice & juicy in the oven. Feel free to use chicken thighs for an especially rich & flavorful result – both boneless, skinless & bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs work great!
- Lemon butter – Homemade butter has seriously never been easier! All you need is sweet butter & lemon juice.
- White wine – Deglazing the skillet with wine captures lots of flavor from the browned chicken & helps build a simple pan sauce. A dry, unoaked white like Bread & Butter Wines California Sauvignon Blanc pairs beautifully with chicken, artichokes & asparagus.
- Asparagus – Fresh is always best, especially during the spring & summer months. Slice the asparagus spears into bite-sized pieces, which get perfectly tender as they roast in the skillet. If asparagus is not in-season, swap it out with another veggie you love – broccoli is a great option!
- Artichoke hearts – We love keeping jarred artichokes stocked in our pantry as an easy veggie add-in. For extra flavor, use marinated artichoke hearts – just be sure to drain & rinse them well before you toss them into the skillet!
- Garlic – & lots of it! Everything is better with garlic. 😉
- Finishing touches – Shower the artichoke chicken skillet with some fresh basil leaves & lemon zest before serving for a stunning finish.
Easy Homemade Lemon Butter
Seasoning butter is an easy way to elevate any dish! We love using herb butter for basting steaks & roasting chicken, but Bread & Butter Wines’ library of brilliant butter recipes takes things to a whole new level. This collection has everything from tarragon butter to cherry jam butter! 😍 We couldn’t resist the classic flavors of simple lemon butter for this skillet dinner.
Full Recipe Directions, including step-by-step photos, are included in the Recipe Card, below.
Homemade lemon butter. ⇢ Simply combine softened sweet butter with a little fresh lemon juice & mix until it’s all combined. It’s seriously that easy!
A few tips & tricks to keep in mind:
- Don’t forget to soften your butter! Soft butter is wayyyy easier to mix than butter straight from the fridge. Simply let it sit at room temperature for 30-45 minutes before you begin cooking.
- Use a food processor for especially smooth & creamy results. The high speed of the machine churns the butter so it gets light, airy, & super spreadable.
- More Tips! ⇢ Lemon Butter Serving Suggestions & Pairings.
How to Make Skillet Chicken with Artichokes & Asparagus
Simple chicken skillets are exactly the kind of meal we love on a weeknight. This dinner has minimal prep & cleanup & is mostly hands-off – a real winner! So pour yourself a glass of wine to sip on, let the oven do the work, & enjoy.
Full Recipe Directions, including step-by-step photos, are included in the Recipe Card, below.
Brown the chicken. Melt the prepared lemon butter in a large cast iron skillet. Cook the chicken breasts in the butter until they have a beautiful golden sear, then set aside. Why? ⇢ Browning the chicken creates a chemical process called the Maillard reaction, which adds a ton of rich flavor to the entire skillet. The chicken will cook through in the oven later – this step is all about flavor, flavor, flavor!
Deglaze with wine. Slowly pour white wine into the skillet, stirring with a wooden spoon as you do. The wine will instantly steam & simmer as it hits the hot pan, loosening all those flavorful browned bits from the bottom. Why? ⇢ The brightness of white wine is a perfect complement for the lemon butter. Both elements come together as a deliciously simple pan sauce that perfumes the entire dish. For a little extra richness, add a splash of heavy cream!
Assemble the artichoke chicken skillet. Nestle in the seared chicken, veggies, & garlic, then top the skillet with dots of lemon butter. Why? ⇢ As the skillet bakes in the oven, the butter melts down into the chicken and artichokes for an extra layer of lemony richness.
Bake. Transfer the skillet chicken with artichokes to the oven & roast for 15-20 minutes. Tip! ⇢ You can always use an instant-read thermometer to double-check that the chicken is done. The thickest part of each chicken breast should register an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Chicken with Artichokes Serving Suggestions
This lemon chicken skillet is SO simple to make, but when it comes out of the oven, it feels much grander than an easy weeknight meal. It’s a stunning dish, making it great for date nights, dinner parties, or any other occasion. You can make it any night of the week!
To serve, finish the skillet with freshly sliced basil, some lemon zest, & maybe a little parmesan cheese, then enjoy it with…
- Brown or wild rice, or even cauliflower rice for an extra serving of veggies.
- Couscous. Fluffy & pearl couscous both work great here!
- Short pasta like orzo or long pasta like linguini or bucatini.
- A side salad for a little extra freshness. Keep it simple with some greens dressed in our tangy All-Purpose Vinaigrette or a classic Caesar.
- My personal favorite – A glass of Bread & Butter Wines California Sauvignon Blanc & a big slice of crusty bread. Dip it right into the lemon butter sauce for the best bite!
I can’t wait for you to try this Lemon Butter Chicken Skillet with Artichoke Hearts and Asparagus! It’s simple & stunning – the perfect dinner to unwind & enjoy over a glass of wine. You’ll want to make it again & again!
If you do give it a try, be sure to let us know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @playswellwithbutter on Instagram. We LOVE seeing your PWWB creations! ♡ Happy cooking!
More Recipes Like This:
As a flavor-obsessed home cook, there are few things I appreciate more than a one-skillet dinner. Not only are they unfussy & require minimal dishwashing, but they’re also especially delicious since each layer of flavor builds upon the last to create a final dish that’s truly greater than the sum of its parts.
This particular recipe highlights some of my all-time favorite ingredients. You pan-sear chicken breasts in lemon butter, then add in garlic, asparagus, meaty artichoke hearts, & a little white wine, & let the oven take over.
As it bakes, the chicken stays totally juicy, the veggies get perfectly tender, & the lemon butter & white wine combine to create a fragrant pan sauce that perfumes the entire dish.
Serve your chicken with artichokes alongside some fresh lemon, leafy basil, & a starchy side like ciabatta bread or rice for a delicious dinner that’s equally stunning & no-fuss. ♡ Happy cooking!
- ¼ cup sweet butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (approx. 2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning
- kosher salt & ground pepper, to season
- 1 cup unoaked dry white wine, such as Bread & Butter California Sauvignon Blanc
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 pound asparagus, woody ends trimmed off & sliced on a bias
- one 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained & rinsed well
- for serving, as desired: fresh basil, lemon zest, lemon wedges, crusty bread, etc.
- Prepare the lemon butter: To a medium bowl, add the softened butter, lemon zest & juice. Mix to combine well. For an extra smooth & creamy result, mix the lemon butter in a food processor. Set aside, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Learn more! ⇢ Lemon Butter Serving Suggestions & Pairings.
- Brown the chicken: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, ensuring a rack is positioned in the center of the oven. Melt 3 tablespoons of the prepared lemon butter in a heavy-bottomed oven-safe skillet (such as cast iron or stainless steel) over medium-high heat. Use paper towels to pat the chicken as dry as possible, then season well with kosher salt & lemon pepper. Once the butter is melted, carefully place the chicken breasts in the skillet. Cook 4-5 minutes per side, until browned well. Transfer to a plate & set aside.
- Assemble the artichoke chicken skillet: Deglaze the skillet with white wine, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Nestle the browned chicken breasts back into the skillet, along with the sliced asparagus, garlic, & artichoke hearts. Season the veggies with a good pinch of kosher salt & dot any remaining the lemon butter over the top of the chicken.
- Bake: Transfer the skillet to the oven. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the largest chicken breast registers an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Serve: Finish the skillet with leafy herbs like basil & a good squeeze of lemon juice. Serve immediately with crusty bread or over a bed of rice. Enjoy!
- Storage & Reheating: While this chicken is best enjoyed immediately after it’s cooked, leftover lemon butter chicken with artichokes & asparagus will keep, stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, for up to 4 days. Reheat leftovers in the microwave or on the stovetop until warmed through.
Keywords: skillet, cast iron, easy, one-pan, chicken dinner
Recipe & Food Styling by Jess Larson, Plays Well With Butter | Photography by Rachel Cook, Half Acre House.