As a flavor-obsessed home cook, there are few things I appreciate more than a one-skillet dinner. Not only are they unfussy & require minimal dishwashing, but they’re also especially delicious since each layer of flavor builds upon the last to create a final dish that’s truly greater than the sum of its parts.
This particular recipe highlights some of my all-time favorite ingredients. You pan-sear chicken breasts in lemon butter, then add in garlic, asparagus, meaty artichoke hearts, & a little white wine, & let the oven take over.
As it bakes, the chicken stays totally juicy, the veggies get perfectly tender, & the lemon butter & white wine combine to create a fragrant pan sauce that perfumes the entire dish.
Serve your chicken with artichokes alongside some fresh lemon, leafy basil, & a starchy side like ciabatta bread or rice for a delicious dinner that’s equally stunning & no-fuss. ♡ Happy cooking!
- ¼ cup sweet butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (approx. 2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning
- kosher salt & ground pepper, to season
- 1 cup unoaked dry white wine, such as Bread & Butter California Sauvignon Blanc
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 pound asparagus, woody ends trimmed off & sliced on a bias
- one 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained & rinsed well
- for serving, as desired: fresh basil, lemon zest, lemon wedges, crusty bread, etc.
- Prepare the lemon butter: To a medium bowl, add the softened butter, lemon zest & juice. Mix to combine well. For an extra smooth & creamy result, mix the lemon butter in a food processor. Set aside, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Learn more! ⇢ Lemon Butter Serving Suggestions & Pairings.
- Brown the chicken: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, ensuring a rack is positioned in the center of the oven. Melt 3 tablespoons of the prepared lemon butter in a heavy-bottomed oven-safe skillet (such as cast iron or stainless steel) over medium-high heat. Use paper towels to pat the chicken as dry as possible, then season well with kosher salt & lemon pepper. Once the butter is melted, carefully place the chicken breasts in the skillet. Cook 4-5 minutes per side, until browned well. Transfer to a plate & set aside.
- Assemble the artichoke chicken skillet: Deglaze the skillet with white wine, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Nestle the browned chicken breasts back into the skillet, along with the sliced asparagus, garlic, & artichoke hearts. Season the veggies with a good pinch of kosher salt & dot any remaining the lemon butter over the top of the chicken.
- Bake: Transfer the skillet to the oven. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the largest chicken breast registers an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Serve: Finish the skillet with leafy herbs like basil & a good squeeze of lemon juice. Serve immediately with crusty bread or over a bed of rice. Enjoy!
- Storage & Reheating: While this chicken is best enjoyed immediately after it’s cooked, leftover lemon butter chicken with artichokes & asparagus will keep, stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, for up to 4 days. Reheat leftovers in the microwave or on the stovetop until warmed through.
Keywords: skillet, cast iron, easy, one-pan, chicken dinner