Nothing is better than a good grilled French onion burger – flavorful, juicy & so satisfying. This easy French onion soup burger recipe has been in my family since I was a kid – a simple homemade beef burger recipe made with 3 ingredients & takes less than 25 minutes to throw together. Serve ’em up plain & simple, or dress ’em up with crispy bacon, caramelized onions & a light + fluffy brioche bun. A restaurant-quality burger perfect for weeknight cooking or backyard BBQs!
THIS POST IS SPONSORED BY
St Pierre, who I’m so excited to partner & share with you this summer! Their high-quality brioche is made in France & is my go-to whenever I grill up burgers & brats! All thoughts & opinions are my own.
While I love all of the burgers we’ve made together so far this summer, today’s burger recipe is the one that’s the nearest & dearest to my heart. Today we’re making my mom’s French onion burger recipe.
This is a homemade beef burger recipe that I’ve been enjoying for – quite literally – my entire life. If you were to come to the PWWB House for a summer dinner or backyard BBQ, these burgers are more than likely the burgers that would be cooking up on the grill.
We love them so much, & I’m so excited to share them with you today!
The PWWB House burger – French Onion Soup Burgers!
These rich, flavor-filled burgers take me right back to the summers of my childhood. Growing up, French onion burgers were on the dinner menu at least once a week. Maybe it was because my dad & older brother loved them so much, or maybe it was because Mom loved how easy they were to throw together. (Now that I think about it, it was probably the latter!)
These burgers are made with 3 simple, smart ingredients (gotta love a savvy mom recipe like that!), the star being a good ol’ packet of onion soup mix.
Y-E-S, you heard me right! It’s admittedly a little retro but I don’t even care (& you won’t either!) because these onion soup mix burgers are so freakin’ good. They have a ton of rich French onion flavor with hardly any effort involved!
You can leave ’em simple & serve ’em up plain Jane – they’re flavorful enough to stand on their own like that, I promise – OR you can doll ’em up with some over-the-top toppings: fancy cheese, bacon, a pile of easy caramelized onions, you name it!
No matter which route you go, though, you have to serve your French onion burger on a St Pierre Brioche Burger Bun. I’ve been completely obsessed with brioche buns for the past few summers. They have a pillowy soft light & fluffy texture, with amazing rich, buttery flavor – such an easy everyday indulgence. St Pierre brioche is made in France with high-quality ingredients & I’m so thrilled to be partnering with them for the rest of the summer. You can find St Pierre Brioche Burger Buns in the bakery & deli section in grocery stores nationwide!
Easy-meets-fancy for the win!!! ♡ Read on to learn more about this French Onion Burger recipe, or jump straight to the recipe & get grillin’!
This family favorite homemade beef burger recipe is made with 3 simple ingredients!
Among the many reasons why I love this French onion soup burger recipe so much is the fact that it’s incredibly easy to make. They’re made with 3 simple ingredients & you can throw ’em together in less than 25 minutes.
Note: full ingredients list & measurements provided in the Recipe Card, below.
- Ground beef – 85% lean is my go-to for burgers. Rather than grabbing the pre-packaged stuff off the shelf, buy burger meat straight from the butcher section of the grocery store to ensure it’s as fresh as possible.
- Onion soup seasoning – The star ingredient in this French onion burger recipe! It’s a little retro, but it’s so good & so easy. You can find onion soup mix in the soup aisle (near canned soups & cooking stocks) in most conventional grocery stores.
- Worcestershire sauce – My favorite little secret weapon for adding TONS of umami to burgers – whether they’re made from beef, poultry, or veggies. A little goes a long way!
That’s it! Mix it all up, form into patties, & toss ’em on the grill. This French onion soup burger recipe takes less than 25 minutes to do, start-to-finish, & couldn’t be easier.
Wondering how to make your burgers taste better? Here are a few tips & tricks!
Because this homemade beef burger recipe is so simple, in both its ingredients & its preparation, technique is incredibly important.
Here are 5 of my favorite easy tips & tricks for restaurant-quality burgers at home:
- Fat content matters! While some swear by using 80% lean ground beef, I much prefer keeping things slightly leaner with 85% lean ground beef. I find 85% lean to be much easier to handle & much easier to avoid flare-ups on the grill. Be sure to buy your burger meat straight from the butcher to ensure it’s as fresh as possible.
- Do NOT overmix the burgers. Overmixing the French onion burger mixture will yield dry & tough burger patties. No one wants that! Mix the burgers just until all the ingredients are combined. It’s okay if they’re a little rustic!
- Size matters. We love our burgers juicy & thick, so I always opt for a 1/3-pound patty with 1-inch thickness. Be sure to press your burger patties out so they’re slightly larger than the size of your brioche burger bun. The burgers contract a little as they cook.
- Indent the center of the burger patties. Just before you place the onion soup mix burgers on the grill, use your thumb to press an indent into the center of each patty. Burgers puff up quite a bit as they cook. A small indent helps them cook more evenly.
- & lastly, don’t overcook them! Overcooking is the most sure-fire way to end up with sad, dry, crumbly burgers. As long as you’re using high-quality beef, there’s no reason to cook them to death! We stick with just 2-3 minutes per side, over medium-high heat, & they’re perfect every time.
A few of the best toppings take your French onion burger completely over the top!
Onion soup mix burgers are my favorite homemade beef burger recipe because they’re so simple & so flavorful. You can keep your French onion burger simple, but it’s also really easy to take it over the top – the secret lies in the toppings!
Here are our 5 favorite easy French onion burger toppings:
#1: First, you NEED a perfectly toasted brioche bun:
Brioche buns are my favorite burger buns – they’re pillowy light & have rich, buttery flavor. More importantly, they’re soft but sturdy & hold up really nicely as you eat your burger. I like to toast my brioche buns on the grill for a nice contrasting crisp texture.
To toast: simply spritz them with a little oil & toast ’em up on the grill for a minute or so as the burgers finish grilling.
I love St Pierre because their brioche is made with high-quality ingredients without use of corn syrup, preservatives, or artificial flavors. Plus, it’s really tasty – light, subtly sweet, & super buttery. Delish! You can find St Pierre Brioche Burger Buns in the bakery & deli section in grocery stores nationwide!
#2 – Burger sauce, but make it French!
Whip up some Dijonnaise, a French-inspired burger sauce. Simply mix together a little mayonnaise with a little Dijon mustard. Add some garlic for aioli vibes, or a hint of honey for some honey-mustard vibes, or a dash of your favorite spice blend. Easy-meets-fancy burger sauce for the win!
#3 – Cheese, please!
There’s no better burger topping than gooey, melted cheese. When it comes to these onion soup mix burgers, I LOVE topping them with sharp white cheddar. The sharpness provides a nice contrast in flavor to the richness in the burgers.
If you wanted to keep things really true to the French onion soup burger vibes we’re creating here, you could also definitely use Gruyère, the cheese typically served on French onion soup. It’ll be gooey, melty & so good.
#4 – Crispy bacon:
If you ask me, there’s no homemade beef burger recipe that couldn’t benefit from a little bacon. We LOVE topping our French onion burgers with a few pieces of extra-crispy bacon.
My favorite way to cook bacon for burgers & sandwiches is in the oven. Cooking it is totally hands-off & clean up is a breeze. Pop the bacon on a baking sheet & cook for 10-12 minutes at 375 degrees F – it works perfectly every time!
#5 – Pile on some caramelized onions – How to caramelize onions for burgers.
It wouldn’t be a French onion soup burger without a pile of caramelized onions, right?! Of all the burger toppings presented here, this one requires the most forethought. A batch of caramelized onions is truly quite easy to make but it requires about an hour of stove time.
How to caramelize onions for burgers: Melt some butter in a large pan with a little olive oil. Add in very thinly sliced onion. Cook over low heat for 45-60 minutes, stirring occasionally, until deeply browned & caramelly. Lastly, deglaze the pan with a touch of balsamic. Your kitchen will smell heavenly!!!
Fave side dishes for burger night!
It’s not burger night at our house without a couple of solid sides. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Whip up some grilled fries while the burgers cook!
- Grilled veggies are always a good idea, too.
- Serve up your favorite cold salad. Try this Sundried Tomato Pasta Salad (6 ingredients! So good!), this Grated Zucchini Salad (perfect for the end of summer!), or this Falafel-ish Quinoa Salad (a new PWWB fave!).
- Make a quick & easy salad by tossing your favorite greens in All-Purpose Vinaigrette with whatever fresh produce you have in your fridge.
- Or, keep it totally simple with some easy summer staples like your favorite chips or your family’s potato salad or macaroni salad recipe.
Plate it all up, devour, & repeat. French Onion Burger night for the win!
I cannot wait for you to try this French Onion Burger recipe. I’ve loved them ever since I was a kid, & I know you will too.
If you do give it a try, be sure to let me know!: Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @playswellwithbutter on Instagram. I LOVE hearing about & seeing your PWWB creations! Happy cooking! ♡Print
Nothing is better than a good grilled French onion burger – flavorful, juicy & SO satisfying. This easy French onion soup burger recipe has been in my family since I was a kid. Serve ’em up plain & simple, or dress ’em up with crispy bacon, caramelized onions & a light + fluffy brioche bun. A restaurant-quality homemade beef burger recipe perfect for weeknight cooking or backyard BBQs!
- 1 1/3 pounds 85% lean ground beef
- 1 1-ounce envelope onion soup seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Morton coarse kosher salt
- for serving: toasted St Pierre Brioche Burger Buns, white cheddar or cheese of choice, crispy bacon, caramelized onions (below), lettuce, tomato, mustard, ketchup, Dijonnaise (below), etc.
for the caramelized onions (optional):
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Morton coarse kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
for the Dijonnaise (optional):
- 1/3 cup high-quality mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped or grated
- Morton coarse kosher salt & ground black pepper, to taste
- Prep: Prepare the grill for medium-high direct grilling, 450-500 degrees F. Prep any toppings & condiments as desired (see below).
- Mix & form the burger patties: Add the ground beef, onion soup seasoning mix, Worcestershire sauce & kosher salt to a large mixing bowl. Using your hands, mix just until well combined. Be careful not to overmix as it yields a dryer, tougher burger. Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions. Press each portion into a 1-inch thick burger patty. Use your thumb to press a slight indent in the center of each burger patty.
- Grill the burgers: Place the burger patties on the grill grates, directly over the flame. Grill 3 minutes per side for medium doneness. If you prefer a less/more done burger, grill for 1 minute less/more. If making a cheeseburger, add the cheese to the burger patties in their last minute of grilling. Toast the St Pierre Brioche Burger Buns while you’re at it – see below!
- Serve the French onion burgers: Build your burgers as desired. At our house, the toasted St Pierre brioche buns get a quick schmear of Dijonnaise, topped with leafy lettuce, a French onion burger, crispy bacon, & caramelized onions. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Toppings & Condiments:
- Toasted St Pierre Brioche Burger Buns: Lightly spritz the buns with nonstick cooking spray. In the final minute or so of grilling the burgers, place the buns on the grill grates over direct heat. Cook for 1 minute or so, until as toasty & crisp as desired. Remove from the grill & serve immediately.
- Dijonnaise: Add all listed ingredients to a small bowl, whisking to combine. Feel free to add a hint of honey for some honey-mustard vibes, or a dash of your favorite spice blend. Set aside, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Easiest Crispy Bacon: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy clean-up. Place the bacon on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the rendered & crisp as desired. Remove from the oven & transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Caramelized onions: Place the olive oil & butter in a large pan over medium-high heat. Once the butter is melted, add in the onions. Season with kosher salt & toss to coat in the oil. Reduce the heat to low. Cook for 45-60 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are deeply brown & caramelly. In the last 5-10 minutes of caramelizing, deglaze the pan with the balsamic vinegar. Remove from the heat & serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Stovetop burgers: If you do not have access to an outdoor grill, you can also cook these French onion burgers on the stovetop. Rather than using a grill pan, I suggest using a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the French onion burgers, working in batches as needed to avoid overcrowding the pan, & cook according to Step 3 of Recipe Directions, above.
- Make-ahead French onion burgers (10-minute meal prep): French onion burger patties can be mixed & formed up to 3 days in advance. Follow Step 2 of Recipe Directions above. Transfer the formed patties to an airtight container, separating them with a piece of wax or parchment paper. Refrigerate for up to 3 days. When you’d like to make your French onion burgers, simply preheat the grill & get cookin’ – easy!
Keywords: French onion burgers, grilled burgers, brioche, sandwiches & burgers recipes, easy, summer, grilling & smoking recipes, 5 ingredients or less, quick
This burger recipe have you craving burgers? Here are a few more EPIC burger recipes to try…
- Best-Ever Turkey Burgers – The absolute best-ever grilled turkey burger recipe. Mega juicy & flavorful, perfect every time!
- The BEST Grilled Black Bean Burgers – A completely GRILLABLE veggie burger recipe!!! The perfect plant-based burgers for vegetarians & vegans alike.
- PWWB House Burgers – The easy French Onion Burgers that we’re obsessed with at the PWWB House!
- Stuffed Southwest Turkey Burgers – Zesty, spicy turkey burgers stuffed with ooey-gooey pockets of melty cheese. The ultimate turkey burger!
- Stuffed Bacon Cheddar Cheeseburgers – All-beef burger patties stuffed with sharp cheddar & smoky bacon. These stuffed burgers take bacon cheeseburgers to the next level!
- Caprese Turkey Burgers – All the flavors you love in Caprese salad – juicy tomatoes, fresh & fragrant basil, mild & clean mozzarella – in burger form!
- All PWWB Sandwiches & Burgers Recipes
Obsessed with all things grilled? Us too! Here are PWWB’s Top Grilling Recipes that you HAVE to try next!
- PWWB Go-To Grilling Marinades – 13 go-to recipes you’ll turn to time & time again, all summer long!
- Easy Grilled Veggies – How to grill pretty much any vegetable. Vegan-friendly!
- The Very BEST Grilled BBQ Chicken – A summertime classic perfected, thanks to a few simple steps that yield the juiciest, most flavorful BBQ chicken ever.
- Absolutely PERFECT Grilled Buffalo Wings – Crispy buffalo perfection. Made with just 3 simple ingredients, grilled chicken wings could not be easier!
- Grilled Black Bean Burgers – Burgers aren’t just for meat-lovers! These grilled veggie burgers are hearty, textural & grill up like a dream!
- Best-Ever Grilled Turkey Burgers – Kiss everything you think you know about turkey burgers goodbye. The juiciest, most flavorful grilled turkey burgers you’ll ever eat!
- PWWB House Burgers – The easy French Onion Burgers that we’re obsessed with at the PWWB House!
- Grilled Wisconsin Beer Brats –The easiest Wisconsin-style beer brats, yielding perfectly juicy & crisp brats every time!
- Grilled Sausage – How to grill sausage perfectly, every single time! This simple method can translate into dozens of delicious & easy summer dinners – no flare ups here!
- Grilled Tuscan Steak – Perfectly juicy grilled steak, seasoned with Tuscan-style aromatics. The ultimate grilled steak dinner!
- All PWWB Grilling Recipes
Thank you so much for reading & supporting Plays Well With Butter & the companies I partner with to keep bringing you great original content. I only feature brands & products I truly love & use on the reg in my own home. All opinions are always my own!