Autumn is TOTALLY here in Minnesota. Yes, yes, yes! It’s like a switch flipped overnight. The evenings are getting cooler & cooler, giving way to brisk, crisp morning air that feels so refreshing on your face & in your lungs.
We always spend the majority of our summers on the go & away from home. After a summer full of hustle, I’m finally catching up on the mile-long list of to-dos.
Autumn’s arrival is like the arrival of a dear old friend. It’s like coming home again, both literally & figuratively. It feels SO damn good.
Along with the cool & crisp morning air comes complete & total cravings for comfort food. We’re talking super comfort foods. Hearty bowls of thick chili, skillets loaded with perfect meatballs, & gooey grilled cheese sandwiches destined for a big fat dunk into a bowl of piping hot tomato soup.
Because honestly, what more could you want? ♡ Read on to learn more about these Autumn Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, or jump straight to the recipe & get cookin’!
Welcome Fall with Autumn Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
I am obsessed with these apple grilled cheese sandwiches. I can’t EVEN! They are seriously THAT good and have been on repeat in the PWWB House for a couple weeks now.
These fall-inspired grilled cheese sandwiches are:
- Simple to make
- Fall in sandwich form – you’ll love addition of crunchy, tart granny smith apples!
- Perfectly balanced – tons of texture and flavor in each bite
- Stuffed with melty gouda cheese (the best cheese, right??)
- Everything you could ever want out of a sandwich!
What You Need for Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
A few basic ingredients come together to create a simply magical grilled cheese sandwich perfect for this time of year! You need:
- Bread: I like to use slices of whole grain bread, but use your favorite sandwich bread here.
- Gouda Cheese: The star of the show, bringing the obvious melt-factor that turns a good grilled cheese into a great grilled cheese! I looooove using gouda in grilled cheese sandwiches – it melts nicely & also has a really wonderful flavor. If you can find smoked gouda, use it! There’s nothing better.
- Whole Grain Mustard: Tangy mustard cuts through the richness of the cheese.
- Granny Smith Apple: For welcome texture, add sliced granny smith apple to these sandwiches. They add the perfect amount of crunch and you’ll wonder why you haven’t been making apple grilled cheese sandwiches all along!
- Turkey: Smoked turkey packs a protein punch and adds so much flavor. Feel free to use ham or whatever deli meat you love, or even leftover Thanksgiving turkey!
- Arugula: Peppery fresh arugula brings freshness & lightness to these sandwiches.
Melty, crunchy, smoky, tangy, peppery, & so. dang. good.
What Cheese Is Best for Grilled Cheese?
Feel free to use your favorite harder cheese variety – I love using smoked gouda because it melts SO well and I love a really melty grilled cheese. You could also try cheddar, monterey jack, swiss, provolone, havarti, muenster, & pepper jack.
The only thing missing is a bowl of tomato soup & a cozy night snuggled in blankets with boo thang on the sofa.
I cannot wait for you to give these Autumn Grilled Cheese Sandwiches a try! If you do give them a try, be sure to let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @playswellwithbutter on Instagram. I LOVE hearing about & seeing your PWWB creations!Print
Autumn Grilled Cheese Sandwiches stuffed with fall flavor! Hearty whole-grain bread slathered in whole grain mustard & sandwiched around melty gouda, smoked turkey, & crisp granny smith apples. The only thing missing is a big dunk into a bowl of tomato soup!
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- 4 ounces sliced gouda cheese
- 8 ounces smoked deli turkey (or your favorite deli meat)
- Preheat a medium, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat.
- Assemble the sandwiches! Spread ½ tablespoon butter one one of each slice of bread and sprinkle generously with flaky sea salt (this adds major flavor to the sandwich!). On the opposite side of each slice of bread, spread ½ tablespoon of mustard. Layer the sliced apple on two slices of bread and top with a piece of cheese. Add the arugula to the other two slices of bread, top with a slice of cheese and the smoked turkey. Gently flip the slices of bread with turkey over onto the slices of bread with the apple, forming sandwiches.
- Cook on both sides until each side is deeply golden brown in color and the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes per side.
- Slice in half and serve with tomato soup. Enjoy!
Keywords: autumn grilled cheese, gouda grilled cheese, fall grilled cheese, grilled cheese sandwich, apple grilled cheese, turkey grille cheese, thanksgiving leftovers