slow cooker rosemary & garlic balsamic lamb sandwiches. a majorly delicious & majorly easy lamb slow cooker recipe. lamb shoulder slowly simmers away with tons of garlic, fresh rosemary, & balsamic vinegar, then gets shredded for the best slow cooker lamb sandwiches. an easy & delicious recipe for any fall potluck, football get-together, or holiday party this season!
this post is sponsored by the American Lamb Board. all thoughts & opinions are my own. thank you, as always, for visiting plays well with butter & supporting the brands that support this site! 💜
& then it was fall.
i’m trying pretty hard to ignore my minnesotan instinct to start every single post with a weather update. if there’s one thing minnesotans LOVE, it’s talking about the weather. (😂 yes, seriously.) & we’ve got a LOT of changing weather happening right now.
BUT! fall is finally here & i couldn’t be more excited.
i love, love, LOVE fall. the cool, crisp air makes for perfectly cozy sweatshirt weather. the changing colors make everything feel like a magical autumn wonderland. we settle into a comfortable routine in our house, & everything feels a little more relaxed.
& all of that goodness is before we even talk about fall flavors!!! fall flavors are my FAVORITE.
comfort food. cozy soups. apples galore. chai spice! fall baking. game day parties. slow cooker everything.
seriously. what’s not to love?! life just does NOT get better than fall.
i have SO much goodness in store for pwwb this fall that i cannot wait to share with you, but we’re kicking things off on a MAJORLY delicious note with the most epic fall sandwiches EVER: slow cooker garlic & rosemary balsamic lamb sandwiches.
cooking with lamb at home.
lamb is one of my absolute favorite proteins. i’m pretty sure i fell for lamb after my first gyro experience in college (😂), & thank god, there’s been a lot of much better lamb in my life since then.
i love eating lamb, especially when we’re out at a fancy dinner on the town, but i also love cooking with it at home. it’s not difficult to work with, & lamb has really great richness & flavor. plus! it’s a nutrient rich meat. & an extra bonus? i usually find lamb to be priced quite similarly to other animal proteins, which makes for a fun swap in our menu from time to time.
when it comes to buying lamb, it’s so important to choose american lamb over imported. not only is american lamb fresher, buying american also supports local ranchers & family farms across the country who are committed to the quality & welfare of their animals. be sure to ask your butcher where they source their lamb, or check out American Lamb’s site for more deets. they have a full list of distributors & farmers throughout the country!
& if you’re new to cooking with lamb, these slow cooker lamb sandwiches are the place to start!
slow cooker lamb sandwiches with balsamic, rosemary & garlic: the BEST slow cooker lamb recipe!
when i say they’re the BEST, i’m 100,000% serious. the flavor in these slow cooker lamb sandwiches sandwiches is just unreal, especially considering how freakin’ easy it is to throw together these slow cooker lamb sandwiches.
we add some lamb shoulder to a slow cooker with TONS of garlic & onions, some fresh rosemary, & a little drizzle of pure maple syrup for a touch of sweetness.
then! the best part. we drown it all in some nicely aged balsamic vinegar.
lamb naturally lends itself to the flavors of rosemary, garlic, & balsamic really well, but when you slow cook it all together until the lamb is perfectly fall-apart tender, something kind of magical happens.
the balsamic & pure maple syrup work together to add just the right amount of rich & slightly sweet tanginess to mellow out any gaminess in the lamb, which i know is a reason why some people aren’t too crazy about lamb in general.
but these slow cooker lamb sandwiches? not gamey at all. (promise!)
the beautiful richness of the lamb comes right through, but so does the rich flavor of the balsamic & maple syrup. & the onions & garlic & rosemary? that’s just a delicious bonus. 😉
then you pile it all onto a bun with some arugula for freshness, feta (because why not?), & a little drizzle of balsamic glaze to take everything over the top.
these slow cooker lamb sandwiches are easy, delicious, & cost-effective. perfect fall food, especially if you’re feeding a crowd for a fall potluck or football party.
hello flavor bomb.
if you love these slow cooker lamb sandwiches, here are a few other easy recipes you’ll love too!
- 5-ingredient slow cooker bbq chicken (+ 3 easy ways to use it!)
- skillet chicken parmesan meatballs
- instant pot honey chipotle chicken tacos
- 15-minute trader joe’s quinoa skillet
- grilled chicken shawarma hummus bowls
- perfect grilled sausage
- all pwwb weeknight recipes
thank you so much for reading & supporting plays well with butter & the companies i partner with to keep bringing you great original content. i only feature brands & products i truly love & use on the reg in my own home. all opinions are always my own! 💜💜💜Print
a majorly delicious & majorly easy lamb slow cooker recipe. lamb shoulder slowly simmers away with tons of garlic, fresh rosemary, & balsamic vinegar, then gets shredded for the best slow cooker lamb sandwiches. an easy & delicious recipe for any fall potluck, football get-together, or holiday party this season!
- 1 3-lb American lamb shoulder roast, excess fat trimmed (see Recipe Notes)
- ½ cup low-sodium beef stock
- 1 cup aged balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6–8 buns/rolls of choice, toasted
- arugula or greens of choice
- crumbled feta
- balsamic glaze (see Recipe Notes)
- Slow cook the lamb: Add the lamb shoulder to a slow cooker. If your lamb roast has a fat cap, make sure the fat cap is at the top, facing you, so all the juices melt and flow down through the meat as the lamb slow cooks. Pour the beef stock and aged balsamic vinegar over top. Arrange the sliced onion around the lamb roast. Top with the garlic, rosemary, bay leaf, Kosher salt, and ground black pepper. Slow cook on low for 8 hours, tossing the lamb every so often if you’re around, until the lamb shreds easily with a fork.
- Shred the lamb: Transfer the lamb to a cutting board or plate. Using 2 forks or a pair of tons, shred the lamb into pieces as chunky or fine as you’d like. Before you add the lamb back into the slow cooker, drain the fat from the juices in the slow cooker, as desired. I find this is most easily done by pouring the juices into a liquid measure & spooning off excess fat into a bowl or jar to discard later. Add the lamb, and the cooking juices, back into the slow cooker. Stir to combine. Turn the slow cooker on its high setting, with the cover removed. Let everything simmer and combine for 5-10 minutes. The lamb will absorb some of the excess liquid!
- Assemble the sandwiches! Place a handful of arugula on top of ½ of a toasted bun. Top with some shredded lamb. Finish with some crumbled feta, and a drizzle of balsamic glaze, as desired. Enjoy!
- Lamb: This recipe calls for a whole lamb shoulder roast. Pictured in this blog post is the same cut of lamb, but sliced into steaks, which simply helped me to cook the lamb in 5 hours the day I photographed this recipe. When it comes to buying lamb, it’s so important to choose American lamb, vs imported. It’s not only fresher, but buying American also supports local ranchers & family farms across the country who are committed to the quality & welfare of their animals. Be sure to ask your butcher where they source their lamb, or check out the American Lamb Board’s website for more details. They have a full list of distributors & farmers throughout the country!
- Balsamic glaze is really similar to reduced balsamic. It’s slightly sweet and has a great syrupy texture. I love the one that Trader Joe’s sells, but you can find some sort of balsamic glaze in a squeeze bottle near the vinegars and oils in most grocery stores. If you want to make your own reduced balsamic at home, simply add a nicely aged balsamic vinegar to a saucepan over medium-low heat and simmer, stirring often, until it has reduced by half.
- Category: slow cooker, lamb
- Method: slow cooker
Keywords: lamb, slow cooker lamb sandwiches, lamb shoulder recipe