bacon beer cheese broccoli cheddar soup is bacon beer cheese broccoli cheddar soup. a cross between two classic comforting soups, beer cheese soup & broccoli cheese soup, this bacon beer cheese broccoli cheddar soup is thick, luscious, creamy, & decadent. the ultimate comfort food dinner to warm you up on a cold night this winter!
this post is sponsored by Tillamook, whose cheeses have earned a permanent spot in my cheese drawer. all thoughts & opinions are my own. thank you, as always, for visiting plays well with butter & supporting the brands that support this site! 💜
guys, guys, guys!!!!
today we’re doing an outrageous thing: we’re combining two of my all-time favorite cozy soups into one ridiculously creamy & lusciously cheesy soup. the absolute ultimate stick-to-your-ribs comfort food you need on a cold winter night.
…& then we’re adding bacon to the mix.
say hello to bacon beer cheese broccoli cheddar soup. 😍😍😍 (…told ya…outrageous stuff today!!!)
homemade bacon beer cheese broccoli cheddar soup
i am pretty sure i could be president of the soup fan club, if such a thing existed. i know some people are very “soup isn’t a full meal” (ahem, chris, ahem), but i am the opposite. as soon as the temps begin to drop in the fall, soup is pretty much all i have on my mind. i could honestly eat soup for every single meal during the cold months. (& more often than not i do meal prep a pot of chili to reheat during the week for an easy, filling lunch!)
& two of this major soup lover’s all-time favorite comforting soups? beer cheese soup & broccoli cheese soup.
the thought of combining the two first occurred to me a just few weeks ago, on the first really dreary & cold day we had in minnesota this year. my mind wandered to all things soup, which eventually had me thinking about how i could possibly make broccoli cheese soup better than it already is. (i’m telling you, soup daydreams are the kind of thing that only happen to the soup fan club’s strongest presidential contender.)
but it came to me: add beer. & bacon. obviously!
& guys? this bacon beer cheese broccoli cheddar soup is everything (literally EVERYTHING) i’m hyping up to be.
it’s got 3 main layers of flavor: bacon, beer & sharp cheddar (which, i’m pretty sure is the definition of heaven), & they all come together to create the most super duper cheesy, ultra rich & creamy, & totally cozy-comforting soup. it’s so indulgent that it’s definitely not the type of soup you make every single week of the winter, but on the one or two occasions you need an ultra comforting dinner during the cold winter months? you guessed it. bacon beer cheese broccoli cheddar soup to the rescue.
plus, a major bonus…bacon beer cheese broccoli cheddar soup is really easy to make on any night of the week.
how to make bacon beer cheese broccoli cheddar soup
just like making any soup from scratch, bacon beer cheese broccoli cheddar soup has a few steps involved. coaxing major flavor out of all of the ingredients takes a little bit, as it should! but, this bacon beer broccoli cheddar soup recipe is really easy to make & there’s some downtime between each step, so you can get some other things done while dinner simmers away to creamy, luscious perfection.
first up? frying up some bacon.
this is totally optional, but definitely encouraged since the bacon plays double-duty to add flavor to this bacon beer cheese broccoli cheddar soup. it’s not only a garnish to sprinkle on top of your bowl of soup (along with a handful of cheese, of course), but the onions & garlic that make up the base of bacon beer cheese broccoli cheddar soup get cooked in bacon fat.
outrageous? yes. so, so good? double yes.
next up? make a roux, which is essentially fancy-speak for the combination of fat + flour that’s at the base of almost every creamy sauce or soup you could possibly make.
you’ll sprinkle some flour over the onions & garlic, which have been sizzling away in the bacon fat, & let it cook for 1-2 minutes until it’s pretty deeply browned (brown roux = major flavor) before pouring in the beer.
when it comes to beer, i’ve tested this recipe with both lighter & darker beers. while i’m usually on team light beer, a darker beer, like an amber or porter, definitely shines through in this soup! you can obviously use whatever beer you love, but the flavor of lighter beers (lagers, IPAs) definitely mellow out once the broccoli & cheese were added into the soup.
you’ll add some chicken stock & milk (…or cream) to the mix & let everything simmer together for about 5 minutes before tossing in some broccoli & finely shredded carrots. & once they’ve had the chance to soften up, in comes the star of the show…
specifically, Tillamook Farmstyle Cut Sharp Cheddar Shredded Cheese. if you guys haven’t tried Tillamook yet, you must. i’ve been absolutely obsessed with them ever since they expanded to the midwest & east coast earlier this year.
not only are their cheeses all absolutely delicious & made from super high quality milk, the Tillamook shredded cheese is INSANELY good. the farmstyle cut of their shreds is larger than many other shredded cheeses. plus! Tillamook takes the melt factor very seriously, which is something this cheese lover can totally appreciate. Tillamook Farmstyle Cut Sharp Cheddar Shredded Cheese melts evenly & smoothly, which is actually pretty hard to find in a good sharp cheddar.
& that golden combination of meltiness & flavor absolutely takes this bacon beer cheese broccoli cheddar soup to the next level.
last but not least? you dive on in to your warm & cozy bowl of beer cheese broccoli cheddar heaven, obviously.
(psst! wanna take bacon beer cheese broccoli cheddar soup night completely over the top? add some no-knead spicy cheese bread to the mix. life doesn’t get better than this, i swear.)
if you loved this bacon beer cheese broccoli cheddar soup recipe, here are a few other comforting recipes you’ll love!
- chickpea chipotle turkey chili with sweet potatoes & kale
- spicy white chili with chicken & beer
- weeknight chicken enchiladas
- slow cooker lamb sandwiches with balsamic, rosemary, & garlic
- all pwwb weeknight recipes
thank you so much for reading & supporting plays well with butter & the companies i partner with to keep bringing you great original content. i only feature brands & products i truly love & use on the reg in my own home. all opinions are always my own! 💜💜💜Print
a cross between two classic comforting soups, beer cheese soup & broccoli cheese soup, this bacon beer cheese broccoli cheddar soup is thick, luscious, creamy, & decadent. the ultimate comfort food dinner to warm you up on a cold night this winter!
- 6 slices center-cut bacon, cut into ¼-inch lardons (slices)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 12-oz can dark beer of choice (see Recipe Notes)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups whole milk or half & half
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into small bite-sized florets (about 4 cups)
- 2 carrots, grated
- 3–4 cups Tillamook Farmstyle Cut Sharp Cheddar Shredded Cheese
- for serving: extra Tillamook Farmstyle Cut Sharp Cheddar Shredded Cheese, crusty buttered bread
- Fry the bacon: Add the bacon to a large, heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook until crispy, about 5 minutes, then transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Carefully pour the bacon fat in the pot into a small bowl or jar for later use.
- Cook the aromatics: Place the same pot back over medium heat, adding back 2 tablespoons of the reserved bacon fat and the diced onion. Season with the Kosher salt, then stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add in the minced garlic, Dijon mustard, & paprika and cook, stirring constantly, just until the garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds. Sprinkle in the all-purpose flour and stir to combine. Cook another 1-2 minutes, until the flour is dark in color – that’s where the flavor comes from!
- Deglaze: Slowly pour the beer into the soup pot, using a wooden spoon to scrape any brown bits off the bottom of the pot. Allow the beer to reduce down for 1 minute, then pour in the chicken stock and heavy cream. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes, until the soup is slightly thickened.
- Finish the soup: Add in the broccoli and carrots, cooking until the broccoli is bright green and tender, about 5 minutes. If desired, use an immersion blender to blend the soup to your desired consistency (see Recipe Notes). Completely blending the soup will yield a super thick & creamy soup; forgoing blending will make the soup soup-ier. Gently stir in the cheese, until it melts and thickens the soup.
- Serve immediately, topped with reserved bacon & extra shredded cheese, and alongside some buttered crusty bread. Enjoy!
- Beer: I’ve tested this recipe with both lighter & darker beers. Using a darker beer, like an amber or porter, will definitely cause the beer flavor to shine through in this soup! The flavor of lighter beers, such as your standard lager or an IPA, really mellow out once you add cheese & milk to the mix in this soup. Use what you like to get the desired beer flavor in your beer cheese soup!
- Blending: This is the immersion blender I use. If you have a stand blender, you could also carefully transfer a portion of the soup to the blender, puree, then add it back into the pot with the remaining un-blended soup. Again, this step is optional based on the consistency you’re after.
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop
Keywords: bacon beer cheese broccoli cheddar soup, broccoli cheese soup, beer cheese soup