a creamy, dreamy, totally addictive white bean pesto hummus loaded with the bright flavors of pesto & lemon. perfect for healthy end-of-summer snacking, an easy appetizer to bring to potlucks, or the perfect snack to bring to a football party!
hey-yo! i hope this post finds you doing exactly what i’m doing this very second: frantically preparing to enjoy one of the last weekends of the summer.
chris & i are packing up & heading out of town today for larson-palooza.
to be clear, no one else is calling it that (to my knowledge, at least). don’t you ever refer to something in the privacy of your own brain and then you say it out loud and then you realize that you’ve been calling it something totally ridiculous and you didn’t even realize it because you might actually be going a little bit crazy?
yeah. i think that’s what happened here.
we’re actually just headed out of town for a lake weekend getaway with chris’ siblings. chris is the youngest of 4 & there’s less than 5 years difference between them all. other than meaning that their mother is practically a saint (she really is), this means that get-togethers with the larson sibs are always a ridiculously fun time.
there are always TONS of laughs-til-we-cries, TONS of inappropriate jokes, & everyone usually picks on chris for a hot minute (the lifelong pains of being the youngest child).
most importantly, we drink all of the drinks and eat all of the food.
larson-palooza is pretty much the best.
chris & i are packing up a batch of perfect bloody mary mix (plus all of the fixings, of course), i whipped up a batch of lavender lemonade for lavender lemonade rosé cocktails (my SILs will really dig them), & we’re also bringing a gigantic tub of white bean pesto hummus.
(because, really, what serving size is there for white bean pesto hummus other than “gigantic tub”?!)
white bean pesto hummus is the perfect end-of-summer snack.
inspired by trader joe’s white bean hummus, my white bean pesto hummus is pretty much everything you could ever want to snack on. white bean pesto hummus is a creamy, dreamy dip loaded freshness from basil pesto & bright lemon.
a perfectly balanced & totally addictive combination, this white bean hummus is the kind of snack that keeps you coming back for more, bite after bite after bite.plus! it’s the kind of dish that’s perfect for parties. whether you’re gearing up for one last lake weekend (??), or you’re building your labor day weekend potluck menu, or you’re already in football season mode, white bean pesto hummus is such a crowd-pleaser & will be a total hit at any occasion.
here’s what you need to know about white bean pesto hummus:
- white beans kind of save the day. they give this hummus the extra love it needs to be super creamy without needing to use any tahini or worrying about tediously removing the skins from the chickpeas. really, who has the patience for that?!
- use whatever pesto you’ve got. don’t we all have a go-to pesto that we just love?! for me, it’s always, always my kale pesto, especially this time of year when our veggie crisper is overflowing with kale & you can buy basil plants the size of your torso for like $1 at the farmer’s market. if you want to try a new pesto recipe, definitely give my kale pesto a try – it’s healthy, hearty & freezes super well. you’ll love it. if you’re pressed on time or just want to buy stuff at the store, that’s fine too. your white bean hummus will still be de-freaking-licious. promise.
- a food processor is a must! i’m not one to buy tons of kitchen gadgets (? lol who am i kidding YAS! i am), but truly, truly, you need a good food processor in your life. it’s a kitchen essential, & is SUCH a versatile tool. if you splurge and buy a nice one, you’ll have it for life. the food processor helps us get the really nice creamy, dreamy texture we’re looking for out of a good hummus. put all the ingredients into the bowl of your food processor (or a high speed blender! or really any device that you can use to puree the crap out of stuff), & let it run for a good minute or two. you’ll want to scrape down the sides occasionally just to make sure everything gets incorporated into the hummus, but really give it the time it needs to run & get to a creamy dreamy texture.
- load up on the dippers. they’re kind of the best part, right?! i LOVE cauliflower & broccoli because they’re sturdy enough to handle dipping a mighty amount of white bean pesto hummus, but you can also never go wrong with pita chips or crackers. or be a real mvp & make your own pita chips from scratch!
so…tell me! how are you celebrating these last weeks of summer?! what dippers would you serve with white bean pesto hummus? are you ready for fall & football season yet?! let me know in the comments below…i’d obv LOVE to chat!! xo
afraid you’ll miss a recipe or entertaining idea? be sure to follow along with plays well with butter on bloglovin. for daily foodie musings & tips, follow along with @playswellwithbutter on instagram & facebook! & for tons of pin-worthy ideas to be the hostess with the mostest, follow plays well with butter on pinterest!Print
a creamy, dreamy, totally addictive white bean hummus loaded with the bright flavors of pesto & lemon. perfect for healthy end-of-summer snacking, an easy appetizer to bring to potlucks, or the perfect snack to bring to a football party!
- 1 14-ounce can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1 14-ounce can white beans or cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup pesto
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- optional: 1 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- In the bowl of a food processor (or high-speed blender), combine the chickpeas, white beans, lemon zest & juice, pesto, salt & crushed red chili flakes (if using). Puree the mixture. Just as the beans start to break down, with the machine still running, slowly stream in the olive oil. Puree for an additional 2-3 minutes, scraping down the sides as needed, until the hummus is very smooth. Taste and season with additional salt, olive oil, pesto, or chili flake as desired. Transfer the hummus into a bowl, top with an extra drizzle of olive oil, spoonful of pesto, and sprinkle of red chili flakes as desired. Serve with dippers of choice.
- Store white bean pesto hummus in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.