THIS POST IS SPONSORED BY
Zwilling, who I’m incredibly excited to partner with in 2021. Zwilling’s Fresh & Save food storage plays an essential role in my kitchen. Its vacuum seal keeps food fresh up to 5 times longer than other methods! All thoughts & opinions are my own.
Winner, Winner, Sheet Pan Dinner!
As a food blogger dedicated to making weeknight-friendly recipes that are both bold in flavor & simple to prepare, I’m more or less obsessed with sheet pan meals. They’re quick to prepare (the oven does all the work!), require minimal clean up (just one sheet pan!), & yield BIG roasty-toasty flavors & textures – a triple threat that’s pretty easy to jump on board with!
This Chicken Sausage and Veggies with Lemon & Feta is one of my all-time favorite sheet pan meals. It’s loaded with feel-good ingredients, like chicken sausage, cauliflower, tomatoes, onions, & for a little something extra, I add cubed feta & thinly sliced lemon. When roasted, the lemon slices soften and become almost caramelized, adding the perfect touch of brightness to the browned & crispy chicken sausage, veggies, & feta. It’s next-level good!
While it’s totally weeknight-friendly, I love making this chicken sausage sheet pan meal for my work-from-home lunches. I take 15 minutes to chop the veggies at the beginning of the week (the core tenet of my meal prep philosophy!), so prepping it at lunchtime is simply a matter of getting everything on a sheet pan & tossing it in the oven. It takes no more than 5 minutes & I get to enjoy a freshly made veggie-filled meal. You can’t beat that!
When it comes to prepping ingredients or meals in advance, I always reach for my Zwilling Fresh & Save vacuum sealed storage containers. I’ve been using the Fresh & Save system all year, & I am obsessed! Unlike the clunky vacuum seal systems I’ve used in the past, Fresh & Save utilizes a sleek handheld vacuum pump that’s easy to charge & store. It pulls all of the air out of the containers, keeping the food inside fresher up to 5 times longer!
Chicken Sausage and Veggies – Key Ingredients
The best thing about this sheet pan chicken sausage and vegetables recipe is that it’s a veggie-filled meal made with super simple ingredients that pack a flavorful punch. Plus, it’s pretty adaptable – change it up to use whatever you love most or happen to have on hand at the moment!
Full ingredients list & measurements provided in the Recipe Card, below.
You will need…
- Chicken sausage – Use whatever fully-cooked chicken sausage you love most! Given the other ingredients in this particular chicken sausage sheet pan recipe, I really love using Spinach & Feta Chicken Sausage. (You can find this specific sausage flavor at most conventional grocery stores – many brands have some variation of it.) Note – as written, this recipe calls for fully-cooked chicken sausage, though you can absolutely substitute your favorite fresh (raw) sausage – be sure to check out the Recipe Notes, below, for some guidance.
- Veggies – Loads of them! I love using cauliflower, red onion, & juicy-sweet tomatoes, though you can absolutely adapt the veggies to use whatever you have on hand. Swap cauliflower for broccoli or broccolini, add in sweet potatoes or baby potatoes, etc. – have fun with it to build a chicken sausage sheet pan you love!
- Feta – Use quality, fresh feta for this chicken sausage sheet pan. Look for a block of feta that is packed in brine – this gives the cheese enough moisture to roast beautifully.
- Aromatics – Namely some simple spices like ground coriander + ground cumin & loads of thinly sliced lemon.
Meal Prep Tips for an Effortless Meal in Under 5 Minutes!
Since nearly all of the active prep time for this sheet pan recipe is spent chopping veggies, tackle the prep in advance to make way for the easiest on-the-fly lunch or dinner throughout the week. It eliminates all of the active prep time at mealtime, & it couldn’t be easier!
How to meal prep your chicken sausage sheet pan. ⇢ Chop cauliflower, slice onion, halve some tomatoes, & dice the feta. Transfer everything into individual airtight containers & store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It takes about 15 minutes, tops. At meal time, simply slice the chicken sausage, toss with the prepped veggies, & spread onto a sheet pan – easily complete in less than 5 minutes.
This is where my obsession with Zwilling Fresh & Save comes into play. I’ve been using Fresh & Save storage containers in my kitchen all year long and I’m seriously obsessed! This storage system utilizes a sleek handheld vacuum pump that pulls all of the air out of the containers, keeping the food inside fresh up to 5 times longer. It’s streamlined, easy to charge, & super compact, completely unlike the other clunky vacuum sealers I’ve used in the past!
You can choose between glass or BPA-free plastic containers, which are just as beautiful as they are functional. Learn more about Fresh & Save or check out this 7-Piece Starter Set. I can’t recommend it enough! Bonus Gift For You! ⇢ Use code “PWWB” for a free lunchbox with any purchase of a Fresh & Save 7-Piece Starter Kit!
How to make this Sheet Pan Chicken Sausage and Vegetables recipe.
This recipe comes together quickly and easily! Aside from chopping the veggies & getting them onto the sheet pan, the oven does all the work. It’s a one-pan meal & could not be simpler!
Full Recipe Directions, including step-by-step photos, provided in the Recipe Card, below.
Here’s what you’ll do…
- Prep the sheet pan. Start by placing the heartier ingredients, like the chicken sausage, cauliflower, & red onion, on a sheet pan. Toss with a little oil, then spread everything out in an even layer. Add the delicate ingredients, like the tomatoes, lemon, & feta, then season with coriander, cumin, S&P, & place in the oven to roast.
- Roast the chicken sausage sheet pan. Bake until the chicken sausage is browned & the veggies are tender, flipping about halfway through to ensure everything cooks evenly.
That’s it! With high heat, the sheet pan chicken sausage and vegetables take about 25 minutes to roast &, aside from assembly, it’s completely inactive. Easy!
More quick tips for Sheet Pan Success.
While it’s such a simple recipe, these tricks take this chicken sausage sheet pan from good to seriously great. A couple things to keep in mind:
- Create as much surface area as possible! Slice your sausage on a bias & chop your veggies to allow as much of their surface to come into direct contact with the sheet pan as possible. Why? ⇢ More browning gives the sausage & veggies richer roasted flavor.
- Don’t overcrowd! Resist the urge to cram all of the chicken sausage & veggies onto one sheet pan. Why? ⇢ Overcrowding results in steaming rather than roasting, which prevents everything from getting browned, crispy, & delicious. If needed, use 2 sheet pans. Yes, it’s another dish to wash, but it’s worth it!
Chicken Sausage Sheet Pan Serving Suggestions
While this sheet pan chicken sausage and vegetables recipe is hearty & tasty enough to enjoy on its own, a couple of quick finishing touches put it completely over the top.
Toppings. ⇢ After roasting, I like to add a generous sprinkle of freshly torn basil to my chicken sausage sheet pan. The basil adds a gorgeous pop of color & loads of fresh flavor to contrast the rich, roasty flavor of the chicken sausage & veggies.
Simple sides. ⇢ Spoon the roasted chicken sausage & vegetables over a bed of your favorite grains for an extra hearty meal. I like to cook a batch of quinoa or brown rice while I meal prep the veggies, so it’s ready to go when the sheet pan is done. You can also make a quick salad, tossing your favorite greens with a simple bright & tangy dressing – this All-Purpose Vinaigrette is my go-to!
I can’t wait for you to try this Sheet Pan Chicken Sausage and Vegetables recipe! It’s my go-to for good reason & I know you’re going to love it as much as I do. If you do give it a try, be sure to let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @playswellwithbutter on Instagram. I LOVE hearing about & seeing your PWWB creations!
Love easy, meal prep-friendly recipes? You’re in the right place! 🙌🏼 Try these Shawarma Hummus Bowls, these Roasted Cauliflower & Sweet Potato Tacos, or this 15-Minute Chicken Sausage Quinoa Skillet next. Happy cooking! ♡Print
An all-time favorite quick & easy meal, Sheet Pan Chicken Sausage and Veggies with Lemon & Feta! Feel-good ingredients like chicken sausage, cauliflower, onions & tomatoes roast with lemon & feta until fragrant & golden brown. This veggie-filled meal is totally satisfying yet totally light & it’s a really flexible recipe that you can make with whatever you have on hand. Meal prep, make-ahead friendly – See Recipe Notes, below, for guidance!
- 12 ounces fully-cooked chicken sausage, sliced on a steep bias into 1/4-inch pieces (see Recipe Notes)
- 1/2 head cauliflower or broccoli, cut into small bite-sized florets (roughly 4 cups florets)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 8 ounces brined feta, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- heaping 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- heaping 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- for serving, as desired: grain of choice (brown rice, quinoa, cauliflower rice, etc.), fresh basil leaves, crushed red pepper flakes, etc.
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil for easy cleanup. Gather all of the ingredients for quick & easy assembly.
- Prep the sheet pan chicken sausage and veggies: Place the sliced chicken sausage, cauliflower or broccoli florets, & onion on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil over top, seasoning with the coriander, cumin, 1 teaspoon kosher salt & ground black pepper as desired. Using your hands, toss to coat the sausage & veggies in the seasoning, then arrange them in an even layer on the sheet pan. Add the thinly sliced lemon, cherry tomatoes, & feta to the sheet pan, doing your best to ensure everything is in a single, even layer. If needed, use 2 sheet pans to avoid overcrowding.
- Roast the chicken sausage and veggies: Transfer the sheet pan to the oven. Roast for 25 minutes, flipping the veggies & sausage halfway through.
- Serve immediately. I like spooning the roasted chicken sausage and veggie mixture over a bed of brown rice, quinoa, or orzo (cauliflower rice is a great low-carb option, or alongside a fresh green salad), & finishing with a big sprinkling of fresh basil leaves. Enjoy!
- Best chicken sausage to use:
- You can use any chicken sausage you love for this chicken sausage sheet pan meal. My personal favorite for this particular recipe is Spinach & Feta Chicken Sausage, which is readily available under a number of different brands at most conventional grocery stores.
- It’s worth noting that as written, this recipe calls for fully-cooked chicken sausage. To substitute your favorite fresh (raw) chicken sausage, roast the sausage whole with the vegetables according to Step 4 of Recipe Directions, above, & thinly slice before serving.
- Make-Ahead & Storage: Leftovers will keep, stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, for up to 5 days.
- 15-Minute Meal Prep: Since nearly all of the active prep work for this sheet pan recipe is chopping the veggies, I like to take a meal prep approach with this recipe for the easiest on-the-fly lunch or dinner throughout the week. Simply chop the veggies in advance – it takes 15 minutes, tops – & store them in individual airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. My favorite storage containers come from the Zwilling Fresh & Save system, which keeps food fresh for up to 5 times longer! I’ve used them all year long & I’m seriously obsessed! At meal time all you have to do is slice the chicken sausage & toss the sheet pan together & get roasting – so easy!:
- Slice 1/2 head cauliflower or broccoli into small bite-sized florets (roughly 4 cups florets)
- Thinly slice 1 red onion & 1 lemon
- Halve or quarter 8 ounces cherry tomatoes
- Dice 8 ounces brined feta into 1/2-inch cubes
Keywords: sheet pan chicken sausage and vegetables, sheet pan meal, meal prep recipe, baked feta, easy, healthy, gluten-free, weeknight
Recipe & Food Styling by Jess Larson, Plays Well With Butter | Photography by Rachel Cook, Half Acre House.