a kale salad perfect for spring! hearty kale paired with grilled asparagus, grilled lemon chicken, nutty farro, creamy goat cheese & roasted red pepper. this salad is perfect for a springtime girls’ night with a bottle of rosé or to prep on sunday for a week’s worth of healthy lunches on the go!
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 lemons, zested, juiced & sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh sage
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 T olive oil, separated
- 1 lb asparagus, ends trimmed
- 2 bunches lacinato kale, thinly sliced
- 1 C farro, cooked according to package directions (quick cook is fine!)
- one 12-oz jar roasted red pepper, drained & thinly sliced
- 4 oz goat cheese, crumbled
for the lemon thyme vinaigrette
- 1 C extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, zested & juiced
- 2 T fresh thyme leaves (about 10 sprigs)
- 1 T honey
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt + more salt & pepper to taste
marinate the chicken
- combine the chicken breast, lemon juice, lemon zest, spent sliced lemons, rosemary, sage, thyme, & garlic in a ziplock bag with 2 T olive oil. Seal the bag, pressing out any air, & shake so the chicken has good contact with all of the other contents of the bag. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
grill the chicken & asparagus
- preheat the grill on high heat.
- while grill is preheating, drizzle remaining 2 T olive oil over the asparagus & lightly toss. season with salt & pepper & set aside.
- once the grill is to temperature, grill chicken & asparagus over medium heat.
- turn chicken after 4-6 minutes & cook for another 4-6 minutes until cooked through.
- toss asparagus over the grill frequently, until cooked. the asparagus should take on a bright green color, but still have some crunch to it.
- let chicken & asparagus rest for a few minutes before chopping into bite-sized pieces & set aside.
prep the vinaigrette
- in a blender or food processor, combine olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, thyme, honey, garlic, salt & pepper & pulse until emulsified. store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
assemble the salad
- in a large bowl, combine diced chicken, asparagus, sliced kale, farro, sliced roasted red pepper & crumbled goat cheese. toss with about 1/4-1/2 C of lemon thyme vinaigrette & serve!
- these salads are great to meal prep! prep all ingredients according to the instructions, & store in separate containers in the fridge & assemble salads as you need them throughout the week.
- Serving Size: 4