These Sticky Honey Sesame Chicken Wings are Lick-Your-Fingers Goodness!
If you’ve been around PWWB for a while, you know we’re pretty obsessed with chicken wings. Grilled buffalo wings have been a favorite ever since our Milwaukee days, but my love of wings actually was born from an oven-baked recipe. Specifically, my mom’s honey sesame wings. They’re the BEST.
These baked sesame chicken wings are a snack my mom often prepares when we visit. They start with a savory-sweet marinade similar to Mom’s famous teriyaki sauce. It’s made with just a handful of seriously flavorful ingredients (& you probably have most of them on hand already!) so it offers maximum flavor with minimal effort. Savvy Mom cooking at its finest! 😎
My favorite thing about this honey sesame chicken wings recipe, though, is that it’s almost entirely hands-off. The oven takes over once the wings are marinated. As the honey sesame wings bake, the marinade reduces into a built-in wing sauce at the bottom of the pan. They’re sticky, sweet, & SO good – very little effort for a big reward!
Baked Sesame Chicken Wings Recipe Highlights
You’ll be obsessed over this easy sesame chicken wings recipe because it’s…
- TOTALLY HANDS-OFF. The only prep you have to do is make a simple honey sesame marinade with a handful of pantry staples. From there, marinate the wings & let the oven do the rest of the work! Easy!
- BEAUTIFULLY SAVORY-SWEET. The teriyaki-inspired marinade infuses the honey sesame chicken wings with a balanced savory-sweet flavor. The wings bake right in the marinade for ease, which reduces into a sticky-sweet glaze as it cooks to create a built-in wing sauce. So good!
- THE BEST STICKY SHAREABLE. Whether you serve them as a game day snack, party appetizer, or as a simple weeknight dinner, everyone loves these sticky sesame wings. Just make sure you bring plenty of napkins! 😉
Wings are ALWAYS a win! 🏈 ♡ Read on to learn more about how to make Honey Sesame Chicken Wings, or jump straight to the recipe & get cooking!
The Easiest Honey Sesame Wings Marinade
Note: Full ingredients list & measurements provided in the Recipe Card, below.
This simple sesame chicken wings marinade makes ALL the difference for these baked wings. To make it, you need 9 simple ingredients, most of which are probably already in your pantry. Together they create a teriyaki-inspired explosion of flavor that’s the perfect blend of sweet, savory, & aromatic. To make it, you need…
- Chicken wings – Feel free to use fresh or frozen chicken wings, & whatever combination of drumettes & flats you love most.
- Soy sauce – The key savory component of the marinade, though you can substitute with tamari to keep your sesame wings gluten-free.
- Honey & dark brown sugar – This combination plays double duty: it adds a balanced of sweetness to the marinade & gives the honey sesame chicken wings a beautiful glaze as they bake.
- Sesame – This sesame chicken wing marinade uses sesame oil for the ultimate flavor bomb & sesame seeds for an added pop of texture. (The seeds are also great as a garnish for serving!)
- Aromatics – Finish the marinade with punchy garlic, zingy ginger, aromatic green onions, & a bit of cayenne pepper for a delicious kick of heat.
Note: Full ingredients list & measurements provided in the Recipe Card, below.
Tips for Marinating Honey Sesame Chicken Wings
How to marinate the wings? ⇢ Simply whisk everything together & you’re good to go! Place the chicken wings in a plastic bag or airtight container & pour the honey sesame marinade over top. The wings should be evenly coated so the marinade really soaks into them.
Suggested marinating time. ⇢ The honey sesame wings should marinate for at least 12 hours or up to 3 days. The longer the better! I love to marinate honey sesame wings the night before I want to make them. About an hour before I want to serve, it’s easy to take them right out of the fridge & transfer them to a baking sheet for the oven. Simple!
Easy meal prep. ⇢ Feel free to whisk everything up ahead of time & store the marinade in the fridge until you’re ready to use it. Simply pour it over the wings the day before or the morning of the big game. Easy!
Shop this Post
How to Make Baked Sesame Wings
Of course, fried chicken wings are always incredible (& grilled wings are our go-to!), but baked wings are so EASY that you gotta love them too! These quick-baked wings take just 30 minutes to cook. The result is juicy & sticky-sweet perfection.
Full Recipe Directions, including step-by-step photos, are included in the Recipe Card, below.
Prep the sesame wings on a baking sheet. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup because things are about to get messy! 😉 Place the wings in a single, even layer on the baking sheet & pour the rest of the marinade onto the pan too. Why? ⇢ As the honey sesame wings bake the savory-sweet marinade turns into a sticky glaze. It’s like a built-in wing sauce & it’s the BEST part!
Bake the honey sesame wings. For best results, bake the honey sesame chicken wings at 425 degrees F. After about 30 minutes, use an instant-read thermometer to check the internal temp of the wings & confirm they’re cooked through.
Optional but encouraged: Broil! Finish the honey sesame chicken wings under the broiler for an amazing charred & glaze-y finish. They only need a few minutes under the broiler for awesome results, so stay close by & keep an eye on them. Why? ⇢ The sweetness in the marinade quickly gets extra gooey & caramelized under the high heat of a broiler. It’s the perfect finishing touch!
Serving Savory-Sweet Honey Sesame Wings (Tip: Bring Plenty of Napkins!)
Baked chicken wings dinner. ⇢ For a fun & easy weeknight dinner, I like serving these honey sesame wings just like Mom – plate lunch style, alongside a scoop of white rice & Hawaiian Mac Salad. They’re also perfect when paired with fried rice or a quick noodle stir fry like our favorite Pork Chow Fun.
Serving honey sesame wings as a game day shareable. ⇢ Pile the wings on a big platter & be sure not to leave any of the sticky-sweet glaze on the bottom of the pan behind! Garnish with some freshly sliced green onion & an extra sprinkle of sesame seeds for an extra pretty touch.
As far as I’m concerned, game day snacks honestly don’t get better than a platter of wings, but if you’d like to make a bigger spread, try rounding things out with a few crowd-pleasing appetizers like…
I can’t wait for you to try these Honey Sesame Chicken Wings! They’re a longtime favorite amongst my family – you seriously can’t beat their simplicity & savory-sweet flavor. I am pretty sure that you’re going to be obsessed, too!
If you do give them a try, be sure to let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @playswellwithbutter on Instagram. I LOVE hearing about & seeing your PWWB creations!
More Recipes Like This:
Baked Honey Sesame Chicken Wings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Marinating Time: 12 – 72 hours
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: serves 4-6 1x
- Category: Main Dishes, Snacks, Appetizers
- Method: Baked, Sheet Pan
- Cuisine: American, Asian-Inspired
- Diet: Gluten Free
These Baked Honey Sesame Chicken Wings are a snack my mom often makes for us whenever we visit. Mom is one of the most savvy cooks I know; her recipes are so simple to prepare but always pack the biggest punch of flavor. These sesame wings are no exception – they’re made with 10 simple ingredients, the process is nearly entirely hands-off, & they’re perfectly sticky & savory-sweet!
What makes them so special is the honey sesame marinade. Similar to Mom’s famous teriyaki sauce, this marinade is equally savory, sweet, & aromatic, & it plays double duty in this recipe to keep prep streamlined & simple. First, you’ll marinate the chicken (the longer the better!), then you’ll bake the wings right in the marinade. It reduces & caramelizes as it cooks, creating a built-in wing sauce that’s sticky & finger licking-good!
We love to enjoy these honey sesame wings as a great weeknight dinner (served alongside rice & mac salad for a plate lunch-inspired meal, of course!), but they’re also a great crowd-pleasing party appetizer & game day sharable. Be sure to check out the blog post, above, for more serving suggestions!
- 3 1/2 pounds fresh chicken wing sections
- 1/2 cup soy sauce, can sub tamari if gluten-free
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, can sub light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Prepare the honey sesame marinade & marinate the chicken wings: To a medium bowl or large liquid measuring cup, add the soy sauce, honey, dark brown sugar, sesame oil, ginger, cayenne pepper, & garlic. Whisk to combine well. Place the chicken wings in a large airtight container or resealable plastic bag. Pour the honey sesame marinade over top. Toss to combine well, ensuring all the of the chicken wings are coated. Cover/seal & transfer to the refrigerator to brine for at least 12 hours or up to 3 days. The longer you’re able to brine, the juicier & more flavorful your baked chicken wings will be.
- Baked honey sesame wings prep: At dinnertime, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F, ensuring a rack is positioned in the top 1/3 of the oven. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil for easy clean-up. Place the chicken wings & marinade on the baking sheet, arranging the chicken wings in a single, even layer. Sprinkle sesame seeds over top.
- Bake the honey sesame chicken wings: Transfer the chicken wings to the oven. Bake 30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through to promote even browning, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest portion of a chicken wing drumette registers an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Optional: Finish under the broiler: For a charred & glazey finish, transfer the baking sheet to the oven rack under the broiler. Turn the broiler on high & broil 2-3 minutes, or until the chicken is as browned as you’d like – be sure to keep a close eye on the chicken wings as they broil to prevent burning!
- Serve: Carefully remove the honey sesame chicken wings from the oven, allow to cool slightly, then garnish with green onions & serve immediately. Enjoy!
- 10-Minute Meal Prep: Nearly all of the active prep work for these baked honey sesame chicken wings come from marinating the wings. Up to 3 days before you’d like to bake the wings, marinate the chicken wings according to Step 1 of Recipe Directions, above. At dinnertime, all you have to do is preheat the oven – easy! (10 minutes active prep)
Keywords: sticky wings recipe, baked chicken wings, game day recipes, honey sesame chicken wings, easy wings recipe, chicken wings, chicken wings recipe
Recipe by Jess Larson, Plays Well With Butter | Photography by KJ & Company, Kate Poskochil
Follow along with Plays Well With Butter on Instagram, Facebook, & Pinterest for more easy, modern recipes & fun!