I know exactly what you’re wondering – who the heck is Ben & is his broccoli salad any good? I’ve got answers! Ben is my brother-in-law, one of Chris’ older brothers. & YES, his broccoli salad is really good. Like, really good.
Similar to my feelings on coleslaw, I was never a huge fan of the mayo-laden creamy broccoli salads of my childhood (& yes, growing up in the Midwest, there was a lot of it!). But! Everything changed as soon as I tried this particular broccoli salad at my in-laws’ house a few years back. It’s unlike any classic broccoli salad I’ve ever had, & now I keep my eyes peeled for it whenever we have dinner or a potluck with Chris’ family.
With no nuts or grapes or cranberries in sight, this healthy broccoli salad recipe is made with bell peppers, chickpeas, & feta. (& I mean…you can definitely add bacon to it too…some things we just can’t live without, right? 😉) What takes it over the top, though, is the Greek yogurt dressing. It’s tangy, lemony, & bright, & it makes a deliciously creamy broccoli salad with no mayo involved! We eat it all the time during the warm months – it’s truly the easiest side dish! – so I knew I had to share it here on PWWB just in time for summer.
Healthy Broccoli Salad Recipe Highlights
This broccoli salad recipe is…
- FILLED WITH GOOD-FOR-YOU INGREDIENTS. This broccoli salad recipe is loaded with goodness, thanks to bell peppers, chickpeas, & a creamy Greek yogurt dressing (no mayo in sight!).
- SERIOUSLY QUICK & EASY. Made with 7 simple ingredients in 15 minutes or less, & it’s make-ahead & meal prep-friendly, too! Check the Recipe Notes for more guidance.
- A SUMMERTIME STAPLE. A summer side dish that’s just as versatile as it is easy to throw together. You can pair it with weeknight dinners from the grill, but it’s also a beloved dish to share at BBQs, picnics, & potlucks.
Summer food is simply the best food. ♡ Read on to learn more about this Healthy Broccoli Salad recipe, or jump straight to the recipe & get cookin’!
Broccoli Salad Key Ingredients
This healthy broccoli salad recipe couldn’t be simpler! It’s made with 7 simple ingredients & it’s very meal prep-friendly.
You will need…
- Broccoli – I’ve found that 1 medium head works perfectly for this recipe, but if you like a more broccoli-heavy broccoli salad, go with a large head of broccoli. You can also swap some of the broccoli for more mildly flavored cauliflower if that’s your jam.
- Red bell pepper – For a little bit of sweetness. If you want to add another element of texture to your broccoli salad (raw broccoli is so crunchy & firm), roasted red bell pepper is also delicious in this healthy broccoli salad recipe.
- Chickpeas – My favorite simple plant-powered protein. Good ol’ canned chickpeas work perfectly here!
- Feta – Whenever possible, I like buying feta that’s packaged in brine & dicing it into bite-sized pieces myself. Feta in brine is richer in flavor & its texture is so much creamier than the pre-crumbled stuff.
- Greek yogurt – For the Greek yogurt dressing! I’ve made this recipe using whole milk, 2%, & nonfat Greek yogurt. It’s been great each way, so feel free to use whatever you love most or happen to have on hand at the moment.
- Aromatics – Namely garlic & lemon for the Greek yogurt dressing. Use both the zest & juice for extra bright, lemony flavor.
A healthier Broccoli Salad Dressing, made with Greek yogurt!
One of the things I love most about this healthy broccoli salad recipe is its Greek yogurt dressing. Unlike the mayo-laden potluck broccoli salads of my childhood, this broccoli salad recipe is made with a simple Greek yogurt dressing. It’s light, flavorful, & super quick to throw together.
To make ⇢ Simply whisk together plain Greek yogurt, the zest & juice of 2 lemons, & some finely chopped garlic. Season with salt & ground black pepper, & it’s ready to go!
Meal prep tip ⇢ This Greek yogurt dressing is the kind of thing that gets better as it sits; the flavors meld together beautifully over time. If you’d like to get a head start on your healthy broccoli salad, you can prep this broccoli salad dressing up to 1 week in advance. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When you’d like to serve, all you have to do is pour it over the broccoli. See the Recipe Notes, below, for more meal prep tips.
How to Make Broccoli Salad (it’s seriously easy!)
Once the veggies are chopped & the Greek yogurt broccoli salad dressing is mixed, all that’s left to prep this healthy broccoli salad recipe is tossing it all together.
Full Recipe Directions, including step-by-step photos, are included in the Recipe Card, below.
To make ⇢ Add the broccoli, red pepper, chickpeas, & feta to a large mixing bowl. Pour the Greek yogurt dressing over top. Toss to combine. Seriously simple!
- How do you cut broccoli for broccoli salad? ⇢ Easy! Chop it into small bite-sized florets. Broccoli stems are totally edible too, so don’t throw them out! Dice into small, bite-sized pieces & toss them into your broccoli salad for great texture (& less waste!).
- Do you steam broccoli for broccoli salad? ⇢ Nope! This particular recipe is a raw broccoli salad, so no cooking, steaming, or blanching is involved. Raw broccoli is gloriously hearty & crunchy, & the feta & chickpeas both add a nice creamy texture. That said, if you don’t love the texture of raw broccoli (or if it’s hard on your stomach), you can cook it a little bit before mixing it into the salad. My preferred method is blanching. To blanch broccoli ⇢ Add the broccoli to a large pot of boiling salted water. Similar to how you boil pasta, cook the broccoli for 1-2 minutes, just until tender-crisp. Drain & rinse immediately with cold water to stop the cooking. Pat as dry as possible before adding to your salad.
Serving Suggestions + Other Tips & Tricks
Serving suggestions ⇢ This broccoli salad is a great side dish year-round, but it’s seriously a summertime staple at our house! It’s the perfect quick, healthy side dish for any warm weather weeknight dinner, like simple grilled chicken, the best turkey burgers, or even grilled sausage! You can serve it cold or at room temperature, so it also doubles as a fabulous dish to share at a backyard BBQ or summer potluck.
Storage ⇢ Leftover broccoli salad will last about 5 days. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Meal Prep ⇢ While it’s a quick & easy side dish already, you can definitely do a little prep in advance to help cut down on the active prep time. Chop the veggies &/or make the Greek yogurt dressing up to 5 days in advance, storing in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator. At dinnertime, all you have to do is toss it all together – easy! Check the Recipe Notes for more guidance.
I can’t wait for you to try this Healthy Broccoli Salad recipe! It’s a total family favorite at our house, & I know you’ll love it too. If you do give it a try, be sure to let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @playswellwithbutter on Instagram. I LOVE hearing about & seeing your PWWB creations! Happy cooking! ♡
More Recipes Like This:
Summer Side Dishes
This Healthy Broccoli Salad with Greek Yogurt Dressing is an absolute go-to! Broccoli is tossed with bell pepper, chickpeas, & crumbled feta in a tangy lemon Greek yogurt dressing. A quick & easy side dish for any weeknight dinner, backyard BBQ, potluck, or picnic this summer!
- 1 medium head broccoli, cut into bite-sized florets (about 5 cups)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, deseeded & diced
- 1 14-ounce can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- kosher salt & ground black pepper, to season
for the Greek yogurt dressing:
- 6 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 2 juicy lemons, zested as desired & juiced (2–3 tablespoons juice)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped or grated
- kosher salt & ground black pepper, to season
- Prep the Greek yogurt dressing: Combine all listed dressing ingredients in a small bowl or jar. Season with 1 teaspoon kosher salt and ground black pepper as desired. Whisk or shake to combine. Set aside, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Assemble the broccoli salad: To a large bowl, add the broccoli florets, red bell pepper, chickpeas, & feta. Pour the Greek yogurt dressing over top. Taste & season with additional kosher salt & ground black pepper as desired. Enjoy!
- Make-ahead & storage: This healthy broccoli salad will keep for up to 5 days. Store the assembled broccoli salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- 10-Minute Meal Prep: If you’d like to do just a little prep in advance to help cut down on the active prep time when you make your Healthy Broccoli Salad, go ahead & chop the veggies &/or make the Greek yogurt dressing:
- Prep the Greek yogurt dressing according to Step 1 of Recipe Directions, above. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. (5 minutes active prep)
- Cut 1 medium head broccoli into bite-sized florets & dice 1 medium red bell pepper. Store in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. (5 minutes active prep)
Keywords: broccoli salad, entree salads & bowls, side dish, summer, spring, vegetarian, meal prep friendly, healthy
Recipe & Food Styling by Jess Larson, Plays Well With Butter | Photography by Rachel Cook, Half Acre House.