move over chipotle, these easy & healthy vegetarian black bean burrito bowls with green rice are loaded with flavor! grilled peppers, onions & sweet corn get paired with black beans, creamy avocado green rice in my vegan mexican rice bowl recipe. wholesome, plant-based, naturally vegan & gluten-free, & meal prep-friendly!
HI HELLO IT’S TIME FOR A VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION.
are we chipotle people or are what?
chipotle & i had a pretty steamy love affair in college. we didn’t have a chipotle on campus at marquette, so going to potes was a pretty bfd since you had to take the bus through downtown milwaukee orrr beg your best friend to drive you. (hi emily, thanks for lending me your car all those times! 😘)
the pinnacle of my love for chipotle was the summer after senior year of college. my college boyfriend held on to all of his business cards from an internship the previous semester & would jokingly drop them into the bin at the chipotle cash registers – you know those bins…the ones where you “enter to win a chipotle catered lunch for the whole office!”
i mean, we thought it was a joke. that is, until the day he got a call from chipotle telling him that he won a chipotle burrito party for his office.
little did chipotle know, his office at that time pretty much consisted of him & me since we were the only people still on campus after graduation.
so kev got dressed up in business casual attire to pick up lunch. & ummm. they gave us enough chips & guac to feed an entire office & 18 burritos.
for the record, 18 burritos is enough to feed 2 broke college kids for about a week.
best/worst week ever.
grilled veggie burrito bowls with green rice
these days i don’t get to chipotle as much as i did back in college. & it’s def not anywhere close to 18 burritos in 1 week. 😂 (that seriously still kills me.) the truth is…it’s so much easier to just make a burrito bowl at home!
& dat’s exactly what we’re doin’ today: grilled veggie burrito bowls!
these beauts are so easy to make, so healthy & sooooo loaded with plant-based goodness. we’re talkin’:
- grilled bell peppers (the more colors the better!)
- grilled red onions
- grilled sweet corn (😋😋)
- tomatoes (in the form of my favorite quick pico de gallo!)
- shredded lettuce
- black beans
& guess what’s the best part: we’re throwing the whole shebang on green rice.
oh, what’s green rice, you ask?
oh, it’s only the BEST thing ever: brown rice tossed into a creamy avocado sauce.
i wanted to take the “cilantro lime rice” concept from chipotle up a couple of notches, & man oh man, green rice is seriously addicting. you can whip it right up while the veggies are on the grill. all you have to do is throw some avocado, cilantro, garlic, jalapeno, & lime juice together in a food processor, give it a whirl, & then fold it into cooked brown rice.
the green rice is so creamy & flavorful, & it provides the perfect base for all the beans & veggies, which get perfectly smoky & tender-crisp from the grill, aka veggie burrito bowl heaven.
how to meal prep grilled veggie burrito bowls:
allow me to introduce you to my favorite part of these grilled veggie burrito bowls (aside from the mountain of grilled veggies & the creamy green rice, of course): they’re SO easy to make. grilled veggie burrito bowls are not hard to whip together on a weeknight at all. they take about 50 minutes start to finish, & most of that time is inactive cooking time for the brown rice. realistically, you’re looking at about 30 minutes active time, but on a monday night when you’re trying to squeeze in a work out AND tune in for a new episode of the bachelorette? i get it. 50 minutes is a commitment.
the good news? a little bit of meal prep will go a long way & help cut down that active prep time even more. here’s how i do it:
- cook the brown rice according to package directions. pop it in an airtight container & let it hang in the fridge until you’re ready to make green rice the night you make burrito bowls for dinner. you could make the green rice during meal prep since there’s enough lime juice in the avocado sauce to help prevent browning, but it’ll last 1-2 days & i’d rather have fresh green rice at dinner, then eat leftovers the next couple of days. you do you, boo!
- slice the veggies while the rice cooks. slice up a few colorful bell peppers & some red onion, then pop them into another airtight container. at dinnertime all you have to do is fire up the grill & cook them up! easy!
- make the quick pico. pretty simple! tomatoes, red onion, lime juice & cilantro. this will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days so it’s great to meal prep in advance. you could also just use your favorite store-bought salsa instead. i love the freshness of a quick pico, especially this time of year when tomatoes are perfection, but no judgement here!
the best part? after you’ve meal prepped your grilled veggie burrito bowls, all that’s left to do is dive right in. is there anything better than that?
i mean, i’m no expert, but i HAVE eaten my fair share of 18 burritos in 1 week, so i think i know a thing or two, ya know? 😜
if you love these grilled veggie burrito bowls with green rice, here are a few other weeknight dinner recipes you’ll be obsessed with!
- grilled vegetarian tacos (with portobellos & poblanos & chipotle lime goat cheese drizzle!)
- weeknight chicken enchiladas
- summer glow bowls
- kale taco salad with roasted jalapeno vinaigrette
- grilled chicken shawarma hummus bowls
- all pwwb weeknight recipes
thank you so much for reading & supporting plays well with butter. this post includes affiliate links for products i truly love & use on the reg in my own home. all opinions are always my own! should you make a purchase using one of these links, pwwb with earn a small commission at no extra cost to you, which helps me continue to bring you great original content. 💜💜💜Print
move over chipotle, this plant-based vegetarian and vegan black bean burrito bowl with green rice is loaded with flavor! love to meal prep? my mexican rice bowl recipe is wholesome, plant-based, naturally vegan & gluten-free, & meal prep-friendly!
- 2 ears sweet corn, husked
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained & rinsed
- for serving, as desired: green rice (below), quick pico (below), chopped romaine lettuce, chopped cilantro, lime wedges
for the green rice:
- 1 cup dry brown rice
- 1 avocado
- 2 jalapenos, seeds removed & roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup cilantro
- 2 limes, juiced
- ¼ cup water
for the quick pico:
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small red onion, diced
- ½ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. If you do not have a grill, you can also use a skillet or grill pan on your stovetop. Cook the brown rice according to package directions and set aside.
- Grill the veggies: Add the sliced peppers and sliced red onion to a large bowl. Season with the olive oil, salt and ground black pepper. Toss to coat. Add the peppers and onions to a grill basket and grill for 7-10 minutes, tossing occasionally, until softened and charred. Place the husked corn directly on the grill grates and grill for 5-7 minutes, turning every few minutes, until charred as desired. Remove from the heat and set aside. Once cool enough to handle, cut the kernels off the corn cobs and set aside.
- Make the green rice: Add the avocado, jalapenos, garlic, cilantro, and lime juice to a food processor. Season with 1 teaspoon of salt. Pulse to combine. Add in the water, then let the food processor run, scraping the sides down as necessary, until the avocado mixture is pureed. Transfer the avocado mixture to a large bowl, then add in the rice. Fold the avocado mixture into the rice until combined. Set aside.
- Make the quick pico: Add the tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, and lime juice to a medium bowl. Season with ½ teaspoon salt. Toss to combine, adding more salt as necessary. Set aside.
- Assemble the bowls: Place a generous spoonful of the green rice on the bottom of a bowl. Top with the grilled veggies, grilled corn, black beans, quick pico, chopped romaine lettuce, and some extra cilantro and lime wedges as desired. Enjoy!
- Meal prep: Grilled veggie burrito bowls are so meal prep friendly! Whenever you’re meal prepping at the beginning of the week, slice up the veggies, make the quick pico, &/or cook the brown rice according to package directions – whatever you have time to do! Store everything in individual airtight containers in the refrigerator. At dinnertime all you have to do is fire up the grill & assemble the bowls! How easy is that?!
- Green rice will hold up pretty well for 1-2 days after it’s made since there’s a decent amount of lime juice in the avocado mixture. I’d suggest making it fresh at dinnertime, so you can use leftovers as an easy lunch, but if you’d like to prep it in advance, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. This is the food processor I use & love – it seriously gets used on a daily basis in my kitchen!
- Category: mains, vegetarian, vegan
- Method: grilled
- Cuisine: mexican
Keywords: veggie burrito bowl, meal prep recipe, vegetarian