move over chipotle, this plant-based vegetarian and vegan black bean burrito bowl with green rice is loaded with flavor! love to meal prep? my mexican rice bowl recipe is wholesome, plant-based, naturally vegan & gluten-free, & meal prep-friendly!
- 2 ears sweet corn, husked
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained & rinsed
- for serving, as desired: green rice (below), quick pico (below), chopped romaine lettuce, chopped cilantro, lime wedges
for the green rice:
- 1 cup dry brown rice
- 1 avocado
- 2 jalapenos, seeds removed & roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup cilantro
- 2 limes, juiced
- ¼ cup water
for the quick pico:
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small red onion, diced
- ½ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. If you do not have a grill, you can also use a skillet or grill pan on your stovetop. Cook the brown rice according to package directions and set aside.
- Grill the veggies: Add the sliced peppers and sliced red onion to a large bowl. Season with the olive oil, salt and ground black pepper. Toss to coat. Add the peppers and onions to a grill basket and grill for 7-10 minutes, tossing occasionally, until softened and charred. Place the husked corn directly on the grill grates and grill for 5-7 minutes, turning every few minutes, until charred as desired. Remove from the heat and set aside. Once cool enough to handle, cut the kernels off the corn cobs and set aside.
- Make the green rice: Add the avocado, jalapenos, garlic, cilantro, and lime juice to a food processor. Season with 1 teaspoon of salt. Pulse to combine. Add in the water, then let the food processor run, scraping the sides down as necessary, until the avocado mixture is pureed. Transfer the avocado mixture to a large bowl, then add in the rice. Fold the avocado mixture into the rice until combined. Set aside.
- Make the quick pico: Add the tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, and lime juice to a medium bowl. Season with ½ teaspoon salt. Toss to combine, adding more salt as necessary. Set aside.
- Assemble the bowls: Place a generous spoonful of the green rice on the bottom of a bowl. Top with the grilled veggies, grilled corn, black beans, quick pico, chopped romaine lettuce, and some extra cilantro and lime wedges as desired. Enjoy!
- Meal prep: Grilled veggie burrito bowls are so meal prep friendly! Whenever you’re meal prepping at the beginning of the week, slice up the veggies, make the quick pico, &/or cook the brown rice according to package directions – whatever you have time to do! Store everything in individual airtight containers in the refrigerator. At dinnertime all you have to do is fire up the grill & assemble the bowls! How easy is that?!
- Green rice will hold up pretty well for 1-2 days after it’s made since there’s a decent amount of lime juice in the avocado mixture. I’d suggest making it fresh at dinnertime, so you can use leftovers as an easy lunch, but if you’d like to prep it in advance, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. This is the food processor I use & love – it seriously gets used on a daily basis in my kitchen!
Keywords: veggie burrito bowl, meal prep recipe, vegetarian