a healthy & seasonal springtime grain bowl with farro, asparagus, spring peas, greens, herbed chicken & a simple homemade lemon vinaigrette. this spring goddess grain bowl recipe is totally wholesome, meal prep friendly, & comes together in 30 minutes or less. the perfect easy weeknight dinner for this spring!
this post is brought to you in partnership with Taylor Farms. all opinions are my own. thank you, as always, for visiting plays well with butter & supporting the brands that support me! ?
spring. is. here. thank goodness!!!
despite the inch of snowfall we got here in minneapolis on tuesday, the first day of spring has finally arrived this week & i couldn’t be more grateful!
i’ve been such a winter person for my entire life. if you follow along on instagram stories, you know there’s nothing i love more than the quiet beauty of a minnesota snowfall. & spring? It’s just never really been my thing. i always put it in the “good in theory” bucket. yes, the warm, sunshiney days are nice. but they are often outnumbered by the spring days we have with the saddest looking murky snow, rain & mud.
this year, though, my feelings toward springtime have kind of done a 180. i didn’t realize how ready i was for it until the clocks changed a few weeks back. this winter was not an especially easy one for me. even though it’s been the better part of a year, i’m definitely still adjusting to working from home. i haven’t yet figured out the secrets of balancing being productive for my businesses & taking the time to do things that are just good for my soul. & that balance was totally out of whack for most of the winter. was it a productive winter? hugely. is that productivity sustainable? to be honest, probs not.
the longer hours of sunshine & the hints of warm spring air in the past couple of week have been refreshing & invigorating. & oh my gosh, it feels SO good.
my all-time favorite part of spring, though? the fresh produce, obviously.
by the time march rolls around, i am always just dying for some fresh spring produce. & since my comfort food cravings are still in high gear (see above ?, the murky weather just begs for it!), my favorite springtime recipes are the ones that feel comforting + fresh all at the same time.
my friends at Taylor Farms reached out to invite me to create something for their #GoToGreens campaign this spring & i immediately knew that i’d be using their Organic 50/50 Baby Spring Green and Baby Spinach Mix in a spring-inspired grain bowl.
enter this spring goddess grain bowl:
oh, hello lover. ???
i am SO obsessed with this spring goddess grain bowl! i mean, we’re talkin…
- farro, my absolute favorite nutritious whole grain. it has a great chewy texture, making it super satisfying to eat. plus, it’s SO easy to cook – it boils just like pasta.
- easy herbed chicken. i like to throw in a few sprigs of fresh herbs as it cooks to infuse the chicken with extra flavor, but that’s totally not necessary! you could also easily swap the chicken out with some pulled store-bought rotisserie chicken, or omit it altogether for a vegetarian grain bowl – it’ll still be hearty enough to be filling!
- spring veggies: asparagus, spring peas, & radish. yes, yes, yes!
Taylor Farms Organic 50/50 Baby Spring Green and Baby Spinach Mix: oh my gosh, you guys, this mix is my newest obsession. aside from the fact that the greens are completely stunning, they add so much freshness to this spring goddess grain bowl! sometimes i find grain bowls to a little too hearty – these greens are the secret to making this spring goddess grain bowl feel super light, refreshing, & healthy!
& the icing on the cake? drizzling it with your favorite lemony dressing. you can totally use store-bought dressing if you have a go-to. i also have my favorite simple lemon vinaigrette for you in the recipe card below. it’s super easy to make, super meal prep-friendly, and super delicious.
so…grab your greens + grains, & let’s get our goddess on!
i mean, how do you not feel like a spring goddess when you eat that?! ?
if you love this spring goddess grain bowl, here are a few other recipes you’ll love!
- kale taco salad with roasted jalapeno lime vinaigrette
- summer salad with arugula, tomatoes, & israeli couscous
- our favorite kale salad with grilled lemon chicken, asparagus, farro & goat cheese
- all pwwb healthy-ish recipes
a healthy & seasonal springtime grain bowl with farro, asparagus, spring peas, greens, herbed chicken and a simple homemade lemon vinaigrette. this spring goddess grain bowl recipe is totally wholesome, meal prep friendly, and comes together in 30 minutes or less. the perfect easy weeknight dinner for this spring!
- 1 cup dry quick-cook farro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- optional: 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- optional: 1 sprig fresh thyme
- optional: 1 clove garlic
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends removed and discarded, stalks cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup spring peas
- 1 6-ounce clam Taylor Farms Organic 50/50 Baby Spring Green and Baby Spinach Mix
- 1 radish, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to season
for the simple lemon vinaigrette:
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ small shallot, finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- ½ lemon, juiced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- Make the simple lemon vinaigrette: Combine all listed ingredients in a jar (or another container that seals) and shake vigorously to combine. Store, sealed, in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Cook the farro: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the farro according to package directions. Once cooked to al dente, drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Cook the chicken: Add the olive oil to a medium skillet over medium heat. If desired, you can add a sprig of rosemary, thyme, and a clove of garlic in to scent the oil with the garlic and herbs. It’s such a simple way to infuse even more flavor into your chicken. Keep an eye on them and once they start to brown, pull them out and discard. Season the chicken on both sides with a few pinches each salt and ground black pepper. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook for 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway through, until cooked completely. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board to rest for a few minutes before slicing.
- Cook the asparagus and peas: Add the asparagus and peas to the same skillet you used to cook the chicken, seasoning with a few pinches each salt and ground black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes, until the veggies are tender-crisp.
- Assemble the grain bowls: Add a few large handfuls of the Taylor Farms Organic 50/50 Baby Spring Green and Baby Spinach Mix to a large bowl. Top with a few spoonfuls of the cooked farro, a few slices of the chicken, the asparagus and peas, and the radish. Drizzle with some of the simple lemon vinaigrette. Toss together and enjoy!
- Meal prep! The beauty of these grain bowls is they’re perfect for meal prep. You can make everything in under 30 minutes and portion it out into 4 individual containers for grab-and-go lunches and dinners for the week. Once you’re ready to eat, add in the vinaigrette and enjoy. So, so simple!
- You SO don’t have to make homemade vinaigrette. I love it because it’s so simple and is free of the preservatives that are found in many store-bought dressings. Making a jar at the beginning of the week is super meal prep-friendly, too. If you have a go-to store-bought dressing, feel free to use it in this recipe!