classic mojitos get a spicy strawberry twist in this easy cocktail recipe for spicy strawberry mojitos! fresh strawberries muddled with lime juice, mint, & spicy rum for the perfectly balanced spicy & sweet cocktails. these spicy strawberry mojitos will be your new favorite!
raise your hand if all you can currently think about is labor day weekend & spicy strawberry mojitos!
yes! spicy strawberry mojitos! can you get down with that?!
good. cuz we’re doin’ it.
real talk, strawberries are my all time favorite summer berry. i looooove how boldly flavored they are, especially this time of year. (ahem, when you are trying to figure out what the heck to do with the 12 pounds of berries you just brought home from the store because they were a killer deal & you tend to be a major seasonal produce hoarder because you live in the artic tundra otherwise known as minnesota where it’s miserably cold 80% of the year…um, or is that just me?!)
anywayyy…i love their sweetness, & i especially love how stinkin’ cute they are.
i mean, c’mon. how can you not love this?! 😍🍓
& wanna know what else i really love?
smashing them up with lime juice, mint, & a heavy pour of spicy rum, & saying a big fat cheers to how amazing this summer was.
spicy strawberry mojitos are one of my favorite cocktails of this summer.
i love these spicy strawberry mojitos because they’re so perfectly balanced.
the star of these spicy strawberry mojitos, other than the beautiful fresh berries of course, is a skaalvenn’s spicy habanero rum. skaalvenn is a small-batch craft distillery local to the twin cities metro, & their whole position is that beautiful, quality, locally-produced spirits shouldn’t burn a hole through your wallet.
& i, for one, can so get down with that.
skaalvenn also produces a vodka, rum, & aquavit (that is, a fancy scandinavian gin-like spirit), but their habanero rum is, hands down, my favorite skaalvenn spirit. it’s not too terribly spicy, especially paired with sweet berries in these spicy strawberry mojitos, but it does have the kind of perfect heat that lingers a bit & tickles your tongue.
if you’re local to the twin cities, i encourage you to grab a bottle of skaalvenn next time you’re at the liquor store (like sunday, maybe?! woohoo for sunday sales!). they’re pretty widely sold throughout the metro.
if you’re not from minnesota, you have one of two options to make your own spicy strawberry mojitos:
- infuse your own spicy rum at home. when it comes to home infusion, i don’t know that i’d recommend starting with habenero unless you’re pretty familiar with how hot they are. jalapeno or fresno chilis (my favorite!) are a much more approachable starting point. add a cup of white rum (not the spiced stuff!!!) to a mason jar, and throw in a couple of slices of the peppers. leave the seeds in if you like lots of kick, but take them out if you’re concerned about the amount of spice. let the infusion sit overnight, strain out the peppers, & get to mixing up some mojitos.
- get your butt to minnesota & buy yourself some habanero rum…& give me a call so we can drink these spicy strawberry mojitos together. deal?! 😉
so…tell me. how are you enjoying the last berries of the season? have you ever tried skaalvenn? what cocktails are you planning to mix up this holiday weekend?! let me know in the comments below…i’d LOVE to chat! xo
afraid you’ll miss a recipe or entertaining idea? be sure to follow along with plays well with butter on bloglovin. for daily foodie musings & tips, follow along with @playswellwithbutter on instagram & facebook! & for tons of pin-worthy ideas to be the hostess with the mostest, follow plays well with butter on pinterest!
- 12-14 ripe strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1-2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 10 leaves fresh mint
- 2 ounces fresh lime juice
- 4 ounces spicy rum*
- 2 ounces club soda
- optional, for serving: extra sliced strawberries, lime wedges, sprigs of fresh mint
- Add the strawberries, sugar, fresh mint, and lime juice to a cocktail shaker. Use a muddler (or the handle of a large wooden spoon) to smash the strawberries and mix the fresh mint and sugar into the lime juice and berries.
- Top the muddled strawberries with the spicy rum and ice. Top the shaker with its lid and vigorously shake the mojitos to combine.
- Divide the mojitos into two glasses over ice, and pour the club soda over top for a little extra fizz. Garnish as desired with extra fresh mint, lime wedges and fresh strawberries.
- My favorite spicy rum is from Skaalvenn, a craft distillery local to Minnesota. If you can't get your hands on Skaalvenn's spirits, you can make your own spicy rum by infusing a few slices of jalapeño or fresno chili pepper in 1 cup of white rum and letting the mixture sit overnight. Be sure to remove/leave in the seeds of the pepper depending how much heat you like!
pin these spicy strawberry mojitos for later:
i’ve had the pleasure of working with mary & tyson of skaalvenn on other paid projects, but this post is not sponsored. i honestly enjoy their spirits all of the time in my own home, & love supporting the small businesses that make the twin cities great. all opinions about how great this product is are my own.