Learn how to grill cauliflower this summer with these Perfect Grilled Cauliflower Steaks! With just 4 simple ingredients & less than 30 minutes, you’ll have a platter of gorgeously charred cruciferous goodness. Once you try grilling cauliflower, you’ll want to put it on everything from grain bowls to tacos, & so much more! (As a bonus, this simple recipe also works for grilling cauli’s cousin, broccoli!)
Naturally vegetarian, vegan, & dairy-free.
- 1 large head cauliflower (see Recipe Notes)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- optional: 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (e.g. thyme, rosemary, oregano, etc.)
- kosher salt & ground black pepper, to season
- for serving, as desired: grilled lemon, fresh basil, fresh oregano, fresh thyme, etc.
- Grilled cauliflower prep: Preheat the grill for medium-high direct heat grilling, about 450-500 degrees F. While the grill preheats, prep the cauliflower. If needed, trim the stem of the cauliflower, so the head lies flat on the cutting board. Carefully remove any excess leaves, taking care to leave the stem completely intact. Slice the cauliflower lengthwise, through the stem, into 1/2-inch thick ‘steaks’. Place the cauliflower steaks on a small baking sheet or in a large bowl. Drizzle the oil over top, brushing to coat the cauliflower ‘steaks’ with oil. Season with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, ground black pepper, & any other fresh herbs or spice blends as desired.
- Grill: Place the cauliflower ‘steaks’ on the grill. Grill 12-15 minutes, carefully flipping halfway through, until fork-tender & charred as desired.
- Serve immediately with lemon juice & a sprinkling of fresh herbs as desired. If serving on a grilled vegetable platter, drizzle with a light & bright herbaceous sauce, like pesto or chimichurri. Grilled cauliflower is also amazing add-ons for any variety of meals, from grilled chicken bowls to tacos to hearty salads. Enjoy!
- Best cauliflower for grilling: In order to grill it without special equipment (e.g. grill basket), you need to choose a head of cauliflower or broccoli that will stay intact once it’s cut into steaks. Look for large heads with florets that are compact & don’t extend beyond the stem too much – much easier to slice into steaks!
- Easy variations: The best part about grilled cauliflower & broccoli is that it is super versatile. Keep things simple, seasoning with just salt & pepper or have fun playing with different flavors & seasonings! A simple lemony Tuscan-style marinade or a delicious spiced Shawarma marinade works great here (check out our 15 Go-To Grilling Marinades for more inspiration!), as do spice blends like BBQ dry rub (for cauliflower) or za’atar (yum!)
Keywords: grilled vegetables recipe, grilled cauliflower steaks, grilled cauliflower recipe