These Grilled Buffalo Chicken Poppers are not your average jalapeno poppers! Mini sweet peppers stuffed with an easy buffalo chicken filling made from cream cheese, buffalo sauce, chicken, & bacon. 6 simple ingredients & just 5 minutes grilling time. The perfect appetizer to add to your Game Day parties & tailgates this season!
This post is sponsored by The Home Depot, who I’m absolutely thrilled to partner with to celebrate tailgating season this fall! All thoughts & opinions are my own. 💜
Very serious question, do you get excited about Game Day for the game…or for the SNACKS?
…bet you can guess which camp I land in. 😎😂 #teamsnacksforlife
Kidding, kidding…I mean, kind of. As much as I do love watching my Packers, what really gets me jazzed about Game Day is planning out the snack table. (Even if it’s just me & Chris watching the game alone! 😂)
A few bags of chips, a couple of dips, a platter of wings or sliders, & maybe (ahem, probably) a meat & cheese plate…I don’t really discriminate when it comes to Game Day snacks. As long as it’s easy to eat, filled with flavor, & totally, well…snackable, I’m on board.
Needless to say, I’m thrilled to introduce you to our newest Game Day obsession: Buffalo Chicken Poppers.
These little cuties! A twist on classic jalapeno poppers, these buffalo chicken poppers are such a fun snack for any Game Day or tailgating party this season. Chris & I love them so much!
The creamy buffalo chicken filling is a lot like classic buffalo chicken dip, without any mayo or sour cream (because what could be any better than buffalo chicken dip stuffed peppers, right?!).
The filling is made with 2 types of cheese (cream cheese & cheddar!), some shredded chicken, & buffalo sauce. I throw in some crispy bits of bacon to add extra smoky-salty-goodness to the equation…you can never go wrong, right? 😉
Instead of using jalapenos, I opt for mini sweet peppers. A) they’re adorable, & B) the balance of a little sweetness from the peppers & a little spice from the buffalo chicken filling is absolutely ahhhdictive.
The other thing that makes these buffalo chicken poppers special is that they’re grilled! Grilling the poppers (instead of baking them) adds the perfect element of smoky-charred-goodness that take them totally over the top. I use my Weber 22-inch Original Kettle Grill from The Home Depot, which you’ve seen me rave about over & over again. It’s the best charcoal grill money can buy!
& best of all, these buffalo chicken poppers hit off on all of the Game Day requirements. These buffalo chicken poppers are:
- easy to make – you need just 6 simple ingredients & about 15 minutes of prep time, plus you can prep them in advance.
- easy to eat – bite-sized finger food at its finest!
- great for feeding a Game Day crowd. Buffalo chicken + poppers = a match made in Game Day heaven.
I’m pretty sure that as soon as you try them, you’ll be just as completely obsessed as we are.
After all, you know what they say…once you pop, you can’t stop. 😉
Buffalo chicken poppers ingredients:
One major reason to love them: you only need 6 simple ingredients to make this buffalo chicken poppers recipe.
The cast of characters includes… (Note: the full ingredients list, including measurements, is provided in the Recipe Card, below.)
- peppers (more on this in a sec!)
- cream cheese
- shredded chicken (from a rotisserie chicken is great!)
- your favorite hot sauce or buffalo wing sauce (we love Frank’s)
- cheddar cheese
- & bacon…because why not, right?? 😉
What kind of peppers should I use for buffalo chicken poppers?
You can really use whatever peppers you love most & can tolerate best for these buffalo chicken peppers.
While jalapenos are probably the most common pepper used for making poppers, but I prefer to use mini sweet peppers for this grilled buffalo chicken poppers recipe because…
- they’re adorable!
- the balance of a little sweetness from the peppers & a little spice from the buffalo chicken filling is SO good!
Quick tip for using mini sweet peppers: In making this recipe, I realized that mini sweet peppers vary quite a bit in size! For best results, use larger, round mini sweet peppers as opposed to smaller or flatter peppers. Not only do they hold more of the yummy buffalo chicken filling, rounder peppers will also hold up to the grilling process much better.
How to grill buffalo chicken stuffed peppers:
Real talk, these grilled chicken poppers are easy to make. In less than 10 minutes you can get them prepped & ready for the grill.
You will need to… (Note: full Recipe Directions are included in the recipe card, below.)
- Prep the peppers: Remove 1/3 (lengthwise) of each mini pepper to create a little boat for the buffalo chicken filling.
- Mix the filling: Add the cream cheese, shredded chicken, cheddar, bacon, & buffalo sauce to a bowl, mixing until smooth & creamy.
- Stuff the peppers: Spoon a bit of the filling into each pepper.
Once the peppers have all been stuffed, pop them in the refrigerator or freezer to chill slightly before grilling.
This chilling time allows the buffalo chicken filling to set up, keeping it from melting & oozing out of the peppers once you pop them on the grill. As an added bonus, the chill time makes this buffalo chicken dip stuffed peppers recipe totally make-ahead friendly!
At your tailgate party, or just before kick-off, prep your grill for medium heat. If you have a charcoal grill, like our trusty Weber 22-inch Original Kettle Grill from The Home Depot, I definitely suggest investing in a charcoal chimney. It makes lighting the charcoal so easy!
Once the grill reaches medium heat (about 450 degrees F), place the poppers over direct heat, along the grates. Grill the buffalo chicken poppers for 5-7 minutes, just until the peppers begin to blister & the popper filling is warmed through.
From there, you can serve them however you like! We drizzle our chicken poppers with a bit of blue cheese dressing & some extra hot sauce. If I have herbs in my fridge (like chives or cilantro), I’ll sprinkle them over top. Totally not necessary, but I love the little sprinkle of freshness!
All that’s left to do? Get poppin’! 😉
Happy Game Day, gfs! 🏈💜
These Grilled Buffalo Chicken Poppers are not your average jalapeno poppers! Mini sweet peppers stuffed with an easy buffalo chicken filling made from cream cheese, buffalo sauce, chicken, & bacon. The perfect snack for tailgating or game day!
- 6 slices center-cut bacon, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 10–12 mini sweet peppers (see Recipe Notes)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar (about 2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce
- for serving, as desired: buffalo sauce, ranch dressing, chopped cilantro or parsley
- Cook the bacon: Add the bacon to a skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is rendered & crisp. Use a slotted spoon to carefully transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.
- Slice the peppers: Use a small knife to remove 1/3 of each pepper lengthwise (reference photos, above). Use a small spoon or a finger to remove the seeds & any excess ribs from the inside of the pepper. Trim any excess stems as needed. Set aside.
- Make the buffalo chicken filling: Add the bacon, cream cheese, chicken, cheddar, and buffalo sauce to a medium bowl. Use an electric mixer or wooden spoon to combine.
- Assemble the buffalo chicken poppers: Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of the buffalo chicken mixture into each prepared pepper. Use the back of the spoon or your fingers, as needed, to press the buffalo chicken filling into the nooks & crannies of the pepper.
- Chill: Place the assembled buffalo chicken poppers in the fridge to set for at least 1 hour, or the freezer for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat your grill: Prepare your grill for medium heat, about 450 degrees F. For this recipe, I used my Weber 22-inch Original Kettle Grill from The Home Depot. For a step-by-step guide on how to light a charcoal grill, be sure to check out this post.
- Grill the buffalo chicken poppers: Place the poppers on the grill grates over direct heat. It helps to place the poppers such that the length of the pepper runs along the grates – you can cradle a popper between two grates. Grill until the peppers are slightly blistered & charred, & the poppers have warmed through, about 5-7 minutes at 400 degrees F. Use a grill spatula to transfer the poppers to a serving dish.
- Serve: As soon as the poppers are cool enough to handle, serve topped with extra buffalo sauce, ranch dressing, & a sprinkling of fresh cilantro or parsley as desired. Enjoy!
- Peppers: In making this recipe, I realized that mini sweet peppers vary quite a bit in size! For best results, use larger, round mini sweet peppers as opposed to smaller or flatter peppers. If you’d like spicier poppers, feel free to swap the sweet peppers with jalapenos.
- Baked buffalo chicken poppers: If you’d prefer to bake these poppers, arrange the assembled poppers on a parchment-lined baking sheet for easy clean up. Bake at 425 degrees F for 10-12 minutes, until the filling begins to bubble.
Keywords: Game day recipes, buffalo chicken, grilling recipes, make-ahead recipes
Thank you so much for reading & supporting plays well with butter & the companies I partner with to keep bringing you great original content. I only feature brands & products I truly love & use on the reg in my own home. All opinions are always my own! 💜