a nourishing & filling winter salad, this winter glow bowl is loaded with the best feel-good winter ingredients: roasted cauliflower, pomegranate arils, avocado, & kale, which all get tossed together in a homemade curry vinaigrette with spiced roasted chickpeas. winter salads have never looked this good!
1 14-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
2 lemons, divided
1 head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
1/2 cup dry quinoa
1 bunch curly kale, stems removed and finely shredded (about 6 cups)
1/2 tablespoon honey or pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt, divided
1 pomegranate, arils removed
1 avocado, thinly sliced
optional: protein of choice (see recipe notes)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or foil and set aside.
- Roast the chickpeas: In a medium bowl, combine the chickpeas, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and 1 teaspoon of Kosher salt. Drizzle in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and squeeze in the juice of 1/2 a lemon. Toss to combine. Transfer the spiced chickpeas to one of the prepared baking sheets. Roast for 25 minutes, or until crisp.
- Roast the cauliflower: In a medium bowl (you can even use the same one you used for the chickpeas!), combine the cauliflower florets, 1 teaspoon of the Kosher salt, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and the juice of 1 lemon. Toss to combine, then arrange the cauliflower in a single layer on the second prepared baking sheet from Step 1. Roast for 25 minutes, or until tender and starting to brown.
- Cook the quinoa: Meanwhile, as the chickpeas and cauliflower roast, cook the quinoa on the stovetop according to package directions. Once cooked through and fully absorbed, fluff the quinoa with a fork and set aside.
- Massage the kale: Place the shredded kale in a large bowl. Season with the curry powder and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt. Drizzle with the honey, the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and the juice of the remaining 1/2 lemon. Using your hands, work the dressing into the kale for 2-3 minutes until the kale has softened quite a bit and is bright green in color.
- Assemble the salad: Add the roasted chickpeas, roasted cauliflower, quinoa, and pomegranate arils to the large bowl with the kale. Toss to combine. Pack into individual containers for grab-&-go meals this week, or enjoy immediately topped with sliced avocado.
massaging kale? is that even a thing?! YES, it is, & it honestly makes all the difference in the world in the flavor & texture of kale. if you still really don’t love kale, that’s completely fine. swap it on out with your greens of choice – spinach would be great! if you use a less hearty green, definitely make/store the dressing separately and toss the winter glow bowl with it only once you’re ready to eat your salad to prevent wilting.
you can also TOTALLY add some extra protein to these winter glow bowls. my favorite easy go-tos are:
- shredded rotisserie chicken. i mean, it just doesn’t get easier than that.
- my homemade “fauxtisserie” chicken. again, so easy & super healthy. you can whip up a batch while you’re meal prepping! all you do is season boneless skinless chicken breasts generously with salt & ground black pepper, then roast them for 8-10 minutes in a 425 degree oven. that’s it!
- precooked chicken sausage links. i love the kind they sell in 1-lb packs at trader joe’s, & i’ve also recently been buying the never any! brand from aldi. they have super clean ingredients & are very well-priced. spinach & feta is my fave!