A dairy-free, gluten-free, & totally healthy vegan white chili recipe, heavy on plant-based goodness. This creamy white chili recipe gets tons of rich flavor & hearty texture from poblano peppers, jalapeno peppers, tons of white beans, & hominy.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 poblano peppers, diced (deseeded as desired)
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced (deseeded as desired)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles (mild or hot – your choice!)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 14-ounce cans cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 28-ounce can hominy, drained & rinsed
- 32 ounces low-sodium vegetable stock or broth
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or unsweetened nut milk of choice)
- 1/2 cup masa harina
- 2 limes, juiced
- kosher salt & ground black pepper, to season
- for serving, as desired: diced avocado or guacamole, chopped cilantro, thinly sliced jalapeno, crushed tortilla chips, etc.
- Cook the veggies: Add the olive oil to a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion, poblano, & jalapeno peppers. Season with 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Stir to combine. Cook, stirring occassionally, for 5-6 minutes, until the veggies are softened.
- Toast the aromatics: Add the garlic, diced green chiles, ground cumin, & bay leaf to the pot, stirring to combine. Cook, stirring occassionally, for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Assemble the white chili: Add the cannellini beans, hominy, & vegetable stock to the pot, stirring to combine. Increase the heat to high to bring the chili to a boil, then reduce to medium-low to simmer.
- Thicken the white chili: Make the masa harina slurry by whisking together the almond milk & masa harina in a small bowl or liquid measuring cup. While stirring the chili constantly, slowly pour the masa harina slurry into the chili. Let the chili continue to simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occassionally, until thickened slightly, 10-15 minutes. Once thickened, stir in the fresh lime juice. Taste & season with additional salt or ground black pepper, as needed.
- Serve: Portion the chili into bowls, serving with your favorite chili toppings: diced avocado or guacamole, chopped cilantro, thinly sliced jalapeno, crushed tortilla chips, etc. Enjoy!
- Storage: This Vegan White Chili keeps incredibly well, since the flavors of the chili really meld together over time. To store, transfer cooled chili to an airtight container & store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 3 months. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- 10-Minute Meal prep: The majority of the prep time involved in this recipe is chopping veggies. Chop all the veggies in advance, storing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. At dinnertime all you have to do is get cookin’ – seriously so easy!:
- Dice 1 medium yellow onion
- Dice 2 poblano peppers (deseeded as desired)
- Dice 2 jalapeno peppers (deseeded as desired)
Keywords: Vegan White Chili Recipe, vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, healthy, vegetarian, weeknight