an ice cream pie & a turtle sundae all in one! this turtle sundae ice cream pie starts with a pecan-graham cracker crust, is filled with salted caramel ice cream, & gets topped off with a thick, fudgy layer of dark chocolate ganache & roughly chopped pecans. this salty-sweet summer dessert couldn’t be easier or more delicious.
- 1 cup pecans, divided
- 1 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs (approximately 1 sleeve of crackers, crushed)
- 1/4 teaspoon + 1 pinch Kosher salt
- 1 quart salted caramel ice cream
- 5 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
Make the pecan graham cracker crust
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place 1/2 cup of pecans into a food processor and pulse until the pecans are crushed into fine pieces.
- Transfer crushed pecans into a mixing bowl, and add the melted butter, sugar, graham cracker crumbs, and 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt. Stir until combined.
- Firmly press the mixture into an 8-inch tart pan, forming a crust. The crust should be tightly pressed into and even layer, 1/4 inch thick, with the crust coming up the sides of the tart pan, forming a shell.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden & fragrant. Allow to cool completely.
Fill the turtle sundae ice cream pie
- Let your ice cream sit out at room temperature for 3-5 minutes, giving it the chance to soften up a bit. You want it to be soft enough to smooth with a spatula.
- Once softened, place the ice cream into the graham cracker crust and smooth into a 1/2 inch thick layer, using a spatula.
- Transfer to the freezer and freeze until ice cream is firm, about 4 hours or up to overnight.
Top with chocolate ganache & pecans
- Melt dark chocolate in the cream with a pinch of Kosher salt in the microwave, heating in 30 second intervals and mixing thoroughly between each interval. Once the chocolate is completely melted, continue to stir for an additional minute or two so the chocolate takes on a beautiful sheen. The texture should be glossy and smooth.
- Remove the pie from the freezer and pour the chocolate ganache layer over the top into a uniform layer, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Chop remaining 1/2 cup of pecans and arrange around the edge of the ice cream pie, creating a border.
- Place back in the freezer for another 4 hours, or up to overnight so chocolate sets completely.
To serve, slice into wedges using a sharp, warm knife. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 12