a simple & healthy three-ingredient dark chocolate bark recipe with toasted quinoa folded throughout a thick layer of dark chocolate and topped with cashews. this superfood dark chocolate bark has it all – plant-based protein, antioxidants, & healthy fats – what more could you want out of a healthy little on-the-go snack or dessert?
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 20 ounces high-quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup cashews, chopped
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil and set aside.
- Toast the quinoa: Add the quinoa to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring and tossing often, for 5-6 minutes, or until the quinoa becomes fragrant and pops. If you’re using white quinoa, it will turn golden.
- Melt the dark chocolate: Meanwhile, as the quinoa toasts, melt the dark chocolate. Place the chopped dark chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals, thoroughly stirring the chocolate between each interval, until melted completely.
- Assemble the bark: Pour half of the dark chocolate out on the prepared baking sheet. Using a spatula or spoon, spread the chocolate out all over the baking sheet. Top with some of the toasted quinoa, and use the spatula to press the quinoa into the chocolate. Repeat once more with the remaining chocolate and quinoa, creating layers of toasted quinoa throughout the chocolate. Top with any remaining toasted quinoa and the chopped cashews.
- Allow the bark to set in the refrigerator for 20 minutes, or until firm. Break apart into large pieces and enjoy! I keep mine stored in a Ziploc bag in the refrigerator. Bark will keep for up to a month or two – but I doubt it’ll last that long!
- This recipe is reprinted with permission from The Pretty Dish: More Than 150 Everyday Recipes & 50 Beauty DIYs to Nourish Your Body Inside & Out by Jessica Merchant.
- Jessica’s Dark Chocolate Bark recipe also has white chocolate drizzled over it at the end – I chose to skip this step to keep this bark a little lower in sugar, plus I just really love dark chocolate. If you like white chocolate, you can add the drizzle at the end of Step 4, after having melted 4 ounces of white chocolate using the same method described in Step 3.